Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The crafters' thread

Default The crafters' thread

Good evening all!

I was thinking that we on ADISC are undoubtedly a group of myriad talents. As I was hard at work waiting for the boil on my second batch of homebrewed beer to finish, I was thinking it might be kind of interesting to show off our talents, the things that we've crafted with our own hands, the things that set us apart from others, the things that last and in which we take pride!

Homebrewing is hard to show off, but I do have some pics from bottling my first batch (which turned out, by the way!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	7648

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	7649

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	7650

Beyond that, I've done some woodworking. The table on the right in the one photo, and the bookshelf and Queen Anne legged chair in the other photo are pieces I built years ago.

Recently I built a playscape for our cats.

Name:	407640_10150460168521947_538526946_8857143_698538634_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	7651

Name:	399808_10150460167751947_538526946_8857136_135196088_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	7652

So please, let's see your stuff! Doesn't terribly matter what, just as long as you've crafted it!.

You're from the Metro Detroit Area?? Drive to your nearest Bank of America. Odds are good that I installed the ATM at that branch :P When Bank of America bought out LaSalle Bank I worked for the company that replaced the LaSalle ATM's with the BoA ones, and installed the new ATM's in the previously existing branches.

acorn

I digress , talk about being shellfish. Does Mr. X respect the boundary you’ve set by capping all the bottles as property of “B”. If you pulled that stunt on me, you would learn a harsh lesson. Indeed.

Man, you’ve a good pair of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Beyond that, I've done some woodworking. The table on the right in the one photo, and the bookshelf and Queen Anne legged chair in the other photo are pieces I built years ago. Recently I built a playscape for our cats. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	407640_10150460168521947_538526946_8857143_698538634_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	7651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	399808_10150460167751947_538526946_8857136_135196088_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	7652So please, let's see your stuff! Doesn't terribly matter what, just as long as you've crafted it!.
    I'm jealous of your work, it looks great. My grandfather was (and still is) a master craftsman of over 30 years by trade, and photographer by trade for over 50. He's made furniture of all sorts, and surely yours could rival his.

I made a set of....well...draws that swing out, not going to say the specific name because it's too traceable, but that's basically what it is. I'll put an edit in with pics when I get the chance.

I should PM you and we can talk about wood work, then you can drop in the IRC and chat about home brewing, I know some members in there he go crazy about microbreweries being better, so maybe they'll jump on you for home brew skills.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic there.

Cherub

I can't really lay claim to creating anything with my hands. But I am mechanically inclined enough to be able to do most of the work on my vehicles,,,thereby saving lots of $$$. Don't know if that counts or not.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Beyond that, I've done some woodworking. The table on the right in the one photo, and the bookshelf and Queen Anne legged chair in the other photo are pieces I built years ago.
    Great looking stuff! If I can ask, what kind of equipment do you own? I'm a good woodworker and I'd love one day to have a woodshop, but I wonder about having space to house it and whether or not I'd ever make enough things to justify the expense of machinery over just buying the things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    I digress , talk about being shellfish. Does Mr. X respect the boundary you’ve set by capping all the bottles as property of “B”. If you pulled that stunt on me, you would learn a harsh lesson. Indeed.

Man, you’ve a good pair of hands.
    Lolz! The B caps came with my brewing equipment, so I figured I might as well use 'em. And, Mr. X sadly does not like beer. In fairness, though, I don't like rum, so it works out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    I'm jealous of your work, it looks great. My grandfather was (and still is) a master craftsman of over 30 years by trade, and photographer by trade for over 50. He's made furniture of all sorts, and surely yours could rival his.

I made a set of....well...draws that swing out, not going to say the specific name because it's too traceable, but that's basically what it is. I'll put an edit in with pics when I get the chance.

I should PM you and we can talk about wood work, then you can drop in the IRC and chat about home brewing, I know some members in there he go crazy about microbreweries being better, so maybe they'll jump on you for home brew skills.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic there.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Great looking stuff! If I can ask, what kind of equipment do you own? I'm a good woodworker and I'd love one day to have a woodshop, but I wonder about having space to house it and whether or not I'd ever make enough things to justify the expense of machinery over just buying the things myself.
    Thank you both for the compliments! I actually made those items when I still had access to a full wood shop via my school.

These days, I have a table saw, router, wood clamps (worth noting since the damn things are expensive!), and various other tools. I want a band saw and all the other stuff, but that's going to be awhile yet. That said, a table saw and router will go a long way in getting something built (like a catscape!). Right now, the tools are in the basement. Someday, we plan to finish the basement (it even has a fireplace!), but since that's several rooms away from being a project, I have time to figure out a new plan.

O wow those items are beautiful pieces of woodworking. I do have to ask how did you make the cat play castle thing as Ive contemplated if i would be able to build something similar for our cat. the round section stumps me in particular. if you ever need to make some money I would definitely recommend making some furniture for people, you have a wonderful skill explore it more.

Quote Originally Posted by woofcub View Post
    O wow those items are beautiful pieces of woodworking. I do have to ask how did you make the cat play castle thing as Ive contemplated if i would be able to build something similar for our cat. the round section stumps me in particular. if you ever need to make some money I would definitely recommend making some furniture for people, you have a wonderful skill explore it more.
    The round bit is actually a concrete form, normally used for concrete post bases and the like.

12" x 4' Concrete Forming TUBE.

And, thank you!

Years ago a made a lot of Cargo furniture for the family. I made two tables for the family room and a chair. I made a desk for my son, and a bed with a drawer unit. I also made my kids cargo storage lockers. I can't take pictures because they now have all this stuff. I also made two clocks, so if I get the time this weekend to take pictures, etc., I'll try to post.