Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Using a Pacifier

Default Benefits of Using a Pacifier

Okay, I posted this on the pacifier group page a few days ago, but I thought perhaps their are others who are not part of this group that could provide some input. Please share your thoughts.

I have been doing a bit of research as of late, and found some interesting benefits of pacifiers. One thing that is of interest is the fact that some claim that pacifiers seem to help stop snoring. There have been a few posts on adisc about this, with mixed results. There are also other professionally completed studies that have shown the use of adult pacifiers as effective in controlling snoring.

Another interesting concept is that pacifiers are recommended for infants and there are a number of studies that show that pacifiers can possibly help prevent SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) in infants. This intrigues me as to the reasons why. One connection I wonder about is the potential benefits from using a pacifier if you have sleep apnea. There are different causes for sleep apnea, but obstructive sleep apnea is caused by the tongue and other muscles toward the back of the mouth and throat relaxing and slipping backwards cutting off the supply of air to the lungs. One of the treatments for this is various oral appliances that hold the teeth and tongue towards the front of the mouth. This does not seem unlike the response when sucking on a pacifier.

If pacifiers have been proven to help relieve snoring, could it be possible that there are other benefits --such as preventing sleep apnea? There is not any present research that I could find on this topic, but it is an interesting thought.

If anybody has any comments on this, or other potential benefits of pacifiers (other than the wonderful sensation of using them) I would appreciate your thoughts.

TeddyBear Cowboy

RainbowShy

I also know they are helfpul to anyone with autism. It creates a more soothing feeling to them. Because sucking a pacifier can be very calming. I've always wanted to try one but my mom keeps saying no. She thinks its too babyish and I should grow up. It does drive me nuts... and I wish I could just move out but disability reasons prevent me from that.

But yeah, they are helpful for anyone on the autistic spectrum because they are soothing and give them comfort. I read it somewhere... can't remember where. I know most parents let their autistic child keep the pacifier because its soothing with sensory and environmental stress... so it comforts them. My mother? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiKitty View Post
    I also know they are helfpul to anyone with autism. It creates a more soothing feeling to them. Because sucking a pacifier can be very calming.
    I agree. This is an additional realm that really hasn't been explored at all, but I do think it is a very calming experience. Perhaps there could be a lot of applications out there that science hasn't even considered.

There have been a lot of studies about other things that can have a calming effect on people. One item that has been proven and is actually implemented in some jails is to paint the walls pink or baby blue. This has been scientifically proven to have a calming effect, and hence the reason it is used in some locations. I'm not trying to suggest giving inmates pacifiers, but then, who knows? A teddy bear and a binky can go a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by KimiKitty View Post
    I've always wanted to try one but my mom keeps saying no. She thinks its too babyish and I should grow up.
    If only others could see through the same eyes and walk the same footsteps . . .
    . . . but I imagine her response is because she is concerned about you (as a good parent would be). As this is not something that most people understand, it is likely that she is simply wanting what is best for you (from her own point of view and understanding).

But anyhow, yes, I agree that pacifiers do have a calming effect. If the medical world could somehow realize this, imagine the possibilities?

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBr_Cowboy View Post
    imagine the possibilities?
    Pacis on prescription! That would be so cool!

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBr_Cowboy View Post
    I agree. This is an additional realm that really hasn't been explored at all, but I do think it is a very calming experience. Perhaps there could be a lot of applications out there that science hasn't even considered.

There have been a lot of studies about other things that can have a calming effect on people. One item that has been proven and is actually implemented in some jails is to paint the walls pink or baby blue. This has been scientifically proven to have a calming effect, and hence the reason it is used in some locations. I'm not trying to suggest giving inmates pacifiers, but then, who knows? A teddy bear and a binky can go a long way!

If only others could see through the same eyes and walk the same footsteps . . .
    . . . but I imagine her response is because she is concerned about you (as a good parent would be). As this is not something that most people understand, it is likely that she is simply wanting what is best for you (from her own point of view and understanding).

But anyhow, yes, I agree that pacifiers do have a calming effect. If the medical world could somehow realize this, imagine the possibilities?
    I know. I still dread not being able to have a pacifier when I'm in one of my pre-meltdown/outburst modes. If I had one then odds are, I would be able to have more calming feelings when I'm dealing with so much things around me.

BLMProductions

pacis help me relax from all of the stuff i have going on in my life

Sucking on things/oral stimulation in general is really soothing to most people, that's why a lot of people chew on pens, their lip etc. So giving people like inmates a pacifier or people on the autism spectrum is actually a really interesting idea. Especially the inmates because somebody (I can't remember the group anymore) did a study with inmates that were allowed to have weekly or semi-weekly (2x a week) visits with a dog that they could pet and play with and such. The crime rate inside the jail went way down and they were much less likely to offend again after they got out.

on a personal note I use binkies to soothe me both when I'm awake and just chilling and when I go to sleep. For me it's very rare to spend an entire night with a binkie in as I usually end up spitting it out in my sleep but it helps me keep my mouth closed when I sleep. (without binkie I sleep with my mouth open and it dries out my throat and it hurts) I unfortunately don't have the luxury of getting to use them every night, I can only have them when I don't have something to do (like class) the next day so there's no chance of my parents coming into my room and seeing.

This thread only makes me want one more! ^^

I have never really been a thumb sucker and for the longe time, having a pacifier never much appealed to me. However, the more I consider the soothing factor, the more I desire one. In fact, I was checking out pacifersrus yesterday.

So, I'll probably be snagging one in the near future. Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    This thread only makes me want one more! ^^

I have never really been a thumb sucker and for the longe time, having a pacifier never much appealed to me. However, the more I consider the soothing factor, the more I desire one. In fact, I was checking out pacifersrus yesterday.

So, I'll probably be snagging one in the near future. Resistance is futile.
    You'll love it, especially the paw print style. I just got one and it's my favorite thing ever, outside of my plushies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    You'll love it, especially the paw print style. I just got one and it's my favorite thing ever, outside of my plushies.
    The paw print style is EXACTLY the one I was looking at buying! ^^

I would love a paci with a Care Bear theme, but the ones they feature on pacifierrus just look...off.

A Mickey one would be cute too, but I didn't see any.