Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: soldiers in afghanistan

babybenjamin

Default soldiers in afghanistan

as a trained paratrooper in the british army and i have just received my start date for afghanistan i was wondering will i make an impact there good or bad

That depends entirely upon you! And the purpose of your being in Afghanistan.

Of course, you have to understand that the Afghan people are not exactly thrilled with the British (and US) being in their country for the past 11 years. They did not provoke the attack on their country, and they are justifiably angry.

That said, the Canadian military is also in Afghanistan, and are not hated like the US & Brits. Then again the Canucks are there as teachers, liaisons, builders, etc. In other words, as support, not just for the allies, but for the Afghan people as well.

I've read as much coverage from Afghanistan as anyone, but I'm not an expert in any relevant field, and I don't know any of the local languages, so...
    but from what I've seen the NATO/ISAF mission in Afghanistan has done much more good than harm; but at the same time obviously the Taliban haven't been decisively defeated, and it's a country that's had wars of one kind or another for the past 30 years, it's starting from a low base and the development progress is slow...

As a soldier, you can only do your own job as well as you can, and hope that you're serving Generals and Politicians who have made good strategy and policy - I don't think anyone really be able to say for sure about that for another ten years - that is, until we've been out of there for a good few years.
    At the moment the debate you hear in the news:
    "we should get out now"
    vs.
    "we're doing it all wrong, if only we were doing it x way"
    vs.
    "stay the course, we'll come out OK"
    seems to be driven as much by prejudices, as by events.

I hope you'll do some good, and I hope you come back OK. Good luck Benjamin.

youngbear9

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    Of course, you have to understand that the Afghan people are not exactly thrilled with the British (and US) being in their country for the past 11 years. They did not provoke the attack on their country, and they are justifiably angry.

That said, the Canadian military is also in Afghanistan, and are not hated like the US & Brits. Then again the Canucks are there as teachers, liaisons, builders, etc. In other words, as support, not just for the allies, but for the Afghan people as well.
    Um excuse me, but did they not bomb our country killing over 2,000 innocent people? They provoked the war, not us. And we aren't even at war with the Afghan peoples. We're at war with al-Qaeda. And we're there as teachers for police for them too. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbear9 View Post
    Um excuse me, but did they not bomb our country killing over 2,000 innocent people? They provoked the war, not us. And we aren't even at war with the Afghan peoples. We're at war with al-Qaeda. And we're there as teachers for police for them too. Just saying.
    Yet more innocent Afghans have died than Americans did in 9/11. Just because they aren't the enemy does not mean they haven't suffered a great deal because of the war because they have suffered horrifically more than America or any other country involved has combined.

That depends entirely upon you! And the purpose of your being in Afghanistan.

YA, just don't ask her who built the schools and who funded the materials and shipping for the school to be built with. Or who pulled 16 hour guard duty on the MSR to make sure those supplies didn't get destroyed or turned into Plant stakes for opium. Those hated evil U.S. Soldiers, grrrr. Don't ask who brings in food, medical supplies and water purification systems or constructs clinics and water treatment plants and desalinization plants or who has the largest contingent of Anthropologist's working in uniform to help better understand the culture and attempt to bridge the gap while rebuilding a devastated country. Please ignore who has destroyed the roving warlords (yes that is what they called themselves) that terrorized the people starting in the late 1970's with the Afgan/Soviet conflict.
    Odd how we are so hated, yet people are so thrilled to see our convoys come into their village, our doctors come and save their children from crap that western civilization eradicated years ago, its so odd how many kids love to sit and share chocolate that was sent from the states in a care package from a Maine middle school to a soldier in the Afghanistan, you know the soldiers that are hated.

Please, ignore the media and listen to the truth from people who have been there and are going back, we may have destroyed tons of stuff and killed all kinds of people and that sucks, but don't for a minute think that we have not done 10 times that much in hard work to help those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    YA, just don't ask her who built the schools and who funded the materials and shipping for the school to be built with. Or who pulled 16 hour guard duty on the MSR to make sure those supplies didn't get destroyed or turned into Plant stakes for opium. Those hated evil U.S. Soldiers, grrrr. Don't ask who brings in food, medical supplies and water purification systems or constructs clinics and water treatment plants and desalinization plants or who has the largest contingent of Anthropologist's working in uniform to help better understand the culture and attempt to bridge the gap while rebuilding a devastated country. Please ignore who has destroyed the roving warlords (yes that is what they called themselves) that terrorized the people starting in the late 1970's with the Afgan/Soviet conflict.
    Odd how we are so hated, yet people are so thrilled to see our convoys come into their village, our doctors come and save their children from crap that western civilization eradicated years ago, its so odd how many kids love to sit and share chocolate that was sent from the states in a care package from a Maine middle school to a soldier in the Afghanistan, you know the soldiers that are hated.

Please, ignore the media and listen to the truth from people who have been there and are going back, we may have destroyed tons of stuff and killed all kinds of people and that sucks, but don't for a minute think that we have not done 10 times that much in hard work to help those people.
    That's kind of an aggressive post. It's not like she said that the US and Brits are the bad guys, she just said that the Afghans THINK that they're the bad guys, and I'm sure many of them see it like that. So slow your rolls, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    That's kind of an aggressive post. It's not like she said that the US and Brits are the bad guys, she just said that the Afghans THINK that they're the bad guys, and I'm sure many of them see it like that. So slow your rolls, there.
    Aggressive or not, Its the last vestige of stone-headed military in me the rest having been tempered by my injuries and my time at college. I can't help it if I bristle when I see it, for right or wrong, its just an ingrained part of me. I know what I gave up so a school could be built in the desert, I see it everyday and it keeps me awake at night.

To Ayanna, I apologize my dear. On a rational level I know its not your fault nor did you intend any insult to me or my brothers and sisters. Please don't take this as an attack, more than just a grumpy vet venting about media fueled unjust portrayals of what really goes on over there.
    Aside from that, I have much respect for the Canadian Ops teams, maybe the Canadian media only talks about the teachers, builders etc etc.... i know damned well that a certain Canadian Sgt. took out 3 enemy combatants in village while covering the pull-out of a Site eval team from Ag. The blood is on all of our hands.

I will only add this. I know many Afghans, both refugees and people still in their home country, and I can only speak from what THEY have told me. And at least I answered the initial question! That is my final word on the topic.

I will only add this. I know many Afghans, both refugees and people still in their home country, and I can only speak from what THEY have told me. And at least I answered the initial question! That is my final word on the topic.
    I wonder if they actually experienced stuff or if like us over here in "the west" only get their info from "the media". Anyways in the documentary Resterpo the US military were working with tribal leaders.

But at the end of the day, we (the US) fucked Afghan before by not supporting them after Russian's stopped fighting them and pulled out of there. At least if that movie Charlie Wilson's War was right, which I suppose it is to that extent. Though I bet that movie's filled with many half truths, if not lies.