Thread: Leakmaster adult cloth diapers

Default Leakmaster adult cloth diapers

I have been thinking of trying out cloth diapers since I only need minor protection. I found this site LeakMaster Adult All In One Cloth Diapers

Looks quite interesting but at $47 it is a tad pricy. Has any one tried these or something comparable that is cheaper?

It looks like the flanel ones are a bit cheaper, but may take longer to dry. (Can't beat gauze, from my perspective.) You might think about getting the gauze contoured diaper (LeakMaster Adult Contoured Cloth Diaper) along with PUL pants (LeakMaster Poly Urethane Laminate (PUL) Plastic Pants). This'll be a good deal more expensive initially, but I suspect they will both last a lot longer---the PUL pants go in the washer, but not the dryer, but that's why I think they will last longer. They dry very quickly; in a pinch you can reuse them more or less right out of the washer. You also can get by with just a couple of the pants along with as many of the diapers you think you need.

You might also want to check out the gauze inserts (Cloth Diaper Inserts Adult Sized). I wear prefolds, so I don't know how well the fit in the contoured diapers, but they really extend the capacity a lot, and the bulk only a little (I use two, or even three, at a time) and they ease cleanup tremendously if you mess. They're cheap compared to double diapering.

You might check some other outlets, but they seem to all sell the same leakmasters (alas--they're terry-stuffed now and take a long time to dry) and all at the same price. (Some of them are separate portals into the same store.)

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    ---the PUL pants go in the washer, but not the dryer, but that's why I think they will last longer.
    This is factually incorrect. PUL is designed to withstand very high heat (it can be autoclaved!) and is used extensively in the medical industry for this reason. I've heard many reports that PUL is better off if you dry it on high heat because the material will slightly soften and seal any leaks that may be forming.

There are quite a few sites that have more information on this. Here's one: What is PUL Fabric

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    It looks like the flanel ones are a bit cheaper, but may take longer to dry. (Can't beat gauze, from my perspective.) You might think about getting the gauze contoured diaper (LeakMaster Adult Contoured Cloth Diaper) along with PUL pants (LeakMaster Poly Urethane Laminate (PUL) Plastic Pants). This'll be a good deal more expensive initially, but I suspect they will both last a lot longer---the PUL pants go in the washer, but not the dryer, but that's why I think they will last longer. They dry very quickly; in a pinch you can reuse them more or less right out of the washer. You also can get by with just a couple of the pants along with as many of the diapers you think you need.

You might also want to check out the gauze inserts (Cloth Diaper Inserts Adult Sized). I wear prefolds, so I don't know how well the fit in the contoured diapers, but they really extend the capacity a lot, and the bulk only a little (I use two, or even three, at a time) and they ease cleanup tremendously if you mess. They're cheap compared to double diapering.

You might check some other outlets, but they seem to all sell the same leakmasters (alas--they're terry-stuffed now and take a long time to dry) and all at the same price. (Some of them are separate portals into the same store.)

Best of luck.
    I don't need a lot of protection as I am now down to dribbles after going so I wanted to see if I can get away with just using the cloth with out the plastic pants. the link I posted description of the product looks to be all in one.

These are better,
    Babykins: KINS Adult VelcroŽ or Snap All-In-One Diaper

if you don't need a lot of protection they are perfect, but they do absorb a good bit, and they are great with inserts!
    I've got a large (to wear over a full diaper) and a small (to wear over a Goodnights or by themselves.) All of these AIO diapers are a bit bulky though, so plan on baggy clothes... or a skirt

Don't get all in one's. They leak, are hard to wash and dry and ae overpriced. Get some overnight prefolds and plastic pants if you really wanna try cloth out. They work much better and are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by happydl View Post
    This is factually incorrect. PUL is designed to withstand very high heat (it can be autoclaved!) <snip>
    Ah, thanks. I'll have to try drying them with the rest of the load. I love them---they're the best things to happen for diapers since pins---I just wish they were as crinkly as regular plastic pants.

I get the Leakmaster gauze night weight pre-fold diapers, which need pins. If you wanted something thinner, I would suggest daytime weight pre-folds. Then you can get the plastic pants you want, such as PUL. Gauze diapers take a while to dry, so having them separate quickens the process. I wash my plastic pants in the shower, using dish washing lotion. I rinse out the diapers in the shower, and hang to dry. After I have a number of them, I put them in the washing machine.

I have one of the exact items you linked to. The look and feel is awesome, and they work pretty well for the intended purpose. I've worn them to bed without leaks. They won't hold as much as a nighttime cloth with plastic pants, but they're not bad.

The downside: They take literally FOREVER to dry, and mine are starting to come apart a little after a number of wash/dry cycles.

Now I just wear them when I want the look and feel but don't intend to wet.