Thread: Learning- It never ends; even as you get older!

Default Learning- It never ends; even as you get older!

I have to admit in years past, I have never paid attention to politics and the like because I always considered it boring but in the past year, I've been following the debates, caucases and primaries a lot closer than in the past. Mainly because I want to learn; learn how the electoral process works.

I have to admit grudgingly it's my friends who are Ron Paul fans- by the way; I do not support Dr. Paul but I admit he's why I am paying attention to things a bit more than I used to- so I can learn how the process works.

I have learned a lot lately. How the caucuses work and primaries work. I have never participated in a primary because I never thought about it and I generally only vote in November and in the spring if it's a big issue. I am learning about what it takes to elect a president and about the candidates. I myself am not a fan of ANY of the Republican candidates but I am learning a lot about the process.

I've also been reading a lot about the history of the process as well too so I can learn both the modern and historical aspects of things.

To me, learning is a good tool. I regret I never learned to follow things like this in the past because to me, politics can be boring at times. But learning is gold. It's pure gold.

All I am going to say is this and I know some may say it's cheesey and a cliche but you're never too old to learn.

WildThing121675

By the way- I hope everyone has an awesome week! Sorry, been trying to be a lot more positive these days!!!!

Of course I would hope it wouldn't. I think life would be boring and feel purposeless (to me) if I were to somehow stop learning.

One of the things I was most surprised by in Government class was the misconception that the popular vote is all that counts when electing the President: U. S. Electoral College FAQs

If I remember the reason for this correctly, the writers of our Constitution didn't consider the American populace competent (or informed) enough to elect the President all on their own. The popular and electoral votes do generally align, though.

Hope you have an awesome week, too!

I love to learn new things, teachers say I am an intellectual.
    I learned a lot about how the american election works from this video How the Electoral College Works - YouTube
    Very informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Of course I would hope it wouldn't. I think life would be boring and feel purposeless (to me) if I were to somehow stop learning.

One of the things I was most surprised by in Government class was the misconception that the popular vote is all that counts when electing the President: U. S. Electoral College FAQs

If I remember the reason for this correctly, the writers of our Constitution didn't consider the American populace competent (or informed) enough to elect the President all on their own. The popular and electoral votes do generally align, though.

Hope you have an awesome week, too!
    In an era when communication was still difficult and slow, the average citizen was not likely to be well-informed about the goings-on of the wider world, whereas the more elite of society (i.e. the founding fathers) were in a position to be in the heart of the action and know what was going on. Also, it's worth remembering that in the earliest days of this country, in order to legally vote you had to a) be white, b) be a man, and c) own property. Women were considered subordinate to their husbands, and blacks were legally not considered citizens in any way, shape, or form. The property ownership thing-I'm not sure if that was based on an idea that property owners would have more interest in government's activities, or if it was a way to keep indentured servants (and other non-property owners) from voting themselves into prosperity somehow, or if it was just a function of a culture that had just left a place where the common practice was just to throw poor people in prison (which we still do, btw, but we've become slightly more clever about obfuscating the intent).

At any rate, the end result of all of that was that the Electoral College was established, as the idea was that the electors would be influential, learned, connected types that would be sufficiently informed about current affairs to vote for the president. In modern times, it's basically tradition that the electors vote according to the popular vote. Additionally, many states actually have laws stipulating that the electors from that state will vote for whoever wins the popular vote there. I've heard talk of a few states toying with the idea of having the electoral vote mimic the popular vote (in proportion) rather than having all electors vote for the winner of the popular vote, but I have no idea if or where that's being practiced.