Thread: A Word or Two On High Chairs...

Default A Word or Two On High Chairs...

Kind of an addendum to the 'cribs/playpens/strollers' thread we had in this forum some weeks back.

If you would like a *real* baby high chair to use, and you're a 32 waist (maybe a bit more) or smaller, this is the kind on the ebay links below you need to look out for in second hand/thrift shops. The open area under the tray support arms allows for your hip area to comfortably fit in the seat under the arms. I know you can fit because our kids' old chair is made the same way and fits me good. So good that the tray can be locked on the arms in front of me. They may be vintage or old school, but much easier for an AB/TB to fit into. Newer chairs look pretty comfy, but the outer plastic shell used by many makers in their construction is much more restrictive to your hips and you can only comfortably fit in them if you're a really small build. Plus they have an extra safety crotch piece to keep a child from slipping out, which further might restrict the leg room for a larger person. Though I'd still like to try one out sometime to give a firsthand experience. Maybe an early morning visit on a slow day to Babies-R-Us?:wink:

I wouldn't mind having this colorful butterfly pattern chair myself: Vintage Retro 1950's High Chair / Made by Peterson - eBay (item 270274032838 end time Sep-15-08 12:42:40 PDT)

I believe these two came from a Burger King restaurant. I remember a couple BKs near us that used to have these exact chairs with dark brown vinyl seats years ago: Lot of 2 Vintage Cosco High Chairs - eBay (item 200252545112 end time Sep-13-08 09:34:42 PDT)

Whenever I go out to a restaurant I always check out the baby seating accomodations.

~Pramrider

That butterfly one is really cute, and hugeee!

Yes the newer ones are pretty small, I tried my sisters, I'd say you can only have up to about 20" hips to even get in there, she has a new one. With the crotch piece, the confusing locking mechanisms on the tray, all the cushioning, and hard plastic sides they are quite constrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Yes the newer ones are pretty small, I tried my sisters, I'd say you can only have up to about 20" hips to even get in there, she has a new one. With the crotch piece, the confusing locking mechanisms on the tray, all the cushioning, and hard plastic sides they are quite constrictive.
    Thanks for the newer highchair review, Mandi. You say about 20" hips max to get in it? Now I'm even more curious to try one out for size, since my hips in seated position are only about 16" across.

Must be a conspiracy among baby gear mfrs. to make them harder for *Bs to use.:wink:

~Pramrider

The first one has -really- caught my attention haha. Especially since it is easy to store :P. I personally like the restraint straps, so the second set of high chairs didn't suit my fancy too much.

Maybe you're right, after seeing all these new "safe" high chairs, they're clearly trying to conspire against us >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Rahara View Post
    Maybe you're right, after seeing all these new "safe" high chairs, they're clearly trying to conspire against us >:|
    Looks like at least one company still makes them the old way. Just came across this demo video:

YouTube - Red kite Feed Me 150 Folding Highchair Features - Kiddicare

Pretty neat the way it folds up when not in use. Plenty of hip room under the arms, too, and no crotch piece to restrict room needed for your legs.

~Pramrider