Thread: HERO - R.I.P. ::: Heroes come in all Sizes :::

Default HERO - R.I.P. ::: Heroes come in all Sizes :::

I've been wanting to share this for a few days now but every time I have attempted to I just can't find the words to express what this little guys story truly means to me. It's been the only thing on my mind since I was first aware of it. This especially hit me hard considering I know quite a few of the people actually involved in this whole story since I'm very active in the local Siberian Husky community here. To see their faces just puts everything in a whole new perspective where suddenly nothing else matters but getting Hero the help he needs.

The story goes like this:

He is from the L.A., California area. He was dumped in a shelter 2 or 3 days after Christmas. We first picked up on this his story on Facebook, The rescue who saved him was trying to obtain funds with a chip- in to cover his medical expenses. The story that they posted read... XMAS PUPPY DUMPED IN SHELTER 3 DAYS LATER.

This poor little baby was obviously someone's Christmas present only to find himself abandoned in the shelter 3 days later. He appears to be about 5 weeks old and should probably still be with his mommy. He was dumped at a Los Angele's County Shelter because he is having seizures. He actually had a seizure while being transported to the vet's office form the shelter. This sweet baby needs vetting, blood-work, bile acid test, etc..

The rest can be read in a daily blog form here if you feel so inclined. Personally I don't think it would kill you to take some time to read about the legacy of a hero. I use to think my upbringing was rough but this poor guy really had it "ruff". (trying to lighten the mood here)

A few more links I would like to leave you with:

I have dedicated my user pic in remembrance of Hero. There's only one thing left to say at this point as I bow my head in a moment of silence before I do so.

North of The Rainbow Bridge
    By: MakWa4me

The time comes. A Siberian Husky lifts up its head. There is an untested adventure beyond. Time to go.

Across the Rainbow Bridge is a place for all dogs. A river runs wide and shallow with tennis balls that fly with their own wings; that is the place for a Labrador or Golden to await its master's arrival.

The Siberian is not content here. Northward is its trail....

There are soft pastures for Aussies and Border Collies, with sheep and geese to pen. Agility equipment grows like trees amid Frisbees and flyball.

But the North continues its sure wild call, and the Siberian's journey continues....

Now the air is colder. Now the moon is always full. Now the light is silver and it breaks and shimmers on fields of bright snow. Now there are no roads, no walls, no pens, just endless space to run. This is where Siberians gather, North of the Rainbow Bridge.

They wait in this beautiful place, happy, but not complete. Suddenly, a howl begins, as one dog senses someone coming, someone very special. All the Siberians raise their heads and join in the ancient chorus. They dance like moonbeams and sing like winter winds.

There are red ones like dawn streaks, black ones splattered with many colors and silver ones like the first strange hour before light. They line up as if in harness and run together, in a scintillating, many-colored streak. The leader of the team guides the others past the fields and river, with racing feet and racing heart. They rush to greet the new arrival at the Rainbow Bridge, where the leader is rejoined with its beloved person, never to be parted again.

The glory of the reunion is celebrated by all the Siberians dwelling beyond the Bridge, a glimmering, multicolored team leaping and whirling with joy. The light from that scene is what we see on magical evenings in the northernmost parts of this Earth: The Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights beyond the Rainbow Bridge

HERO - 1-29-12

I can't stand the sort of people who treat animals like the people who dumped this poor pup in a shelter. Every dog that my wife and I have adopted, purchased, whatever, has been a lifetime commitment.

The commitment is not just to feed and house the dog, but to care for it with proper medical care, give it the attention it needs to be happy, give it the training (and train ourselves as well) to understand their place in the household/pack, and to help them reach their final resting place with dignity and love.

Four of our five dogs have been rescues. Three of them are no longer with us. The first was one we had to to send along early because the person who was 'rescuing' the dogs was actually in-breeding dogs and adopting them out to get more money from rescue programs and our poor little girl had serious mental issues. We spent thousands working one-on-one with trainers, vets, and more to try and help her, yet she got out one night and was branded a vicious animal by the police. There was no way we could take her to a shelter or rescue ourselves--we had made a commitment and we saw it through to the end, crying as we let her go in the vet's office.

Our second left us after ten and a half years, finally giving up his fight against lung cancer. We got him as a nine-week old puppy and found him to be one of the greatest dogs we've ever seen. We made him as comfortable as we could for his last year fighting lung cancer. Even our vet was crying as she helped him achieve the final relief he needed.

Our last went downhill fast. She was an eleven-year old Great Dane, an absolutely sweet lady. She just got very sick and within two days the vet recommended we say our goodbyes and let her go. She had been in our family for nine and a half years.

Our two now are absolute fun. Again, they will be our dogs until the end, when with a heavy heart we bid them goodbye. We will not get any animal without it being a commitment to care for them for life.

While I would wish to help Hero, we also do our own part to help rescue these dogs and prevent more dogs from needing rescued. I would encourage any and all people debating on having a dog to consider rescue first, and ALWAYS make it a lifelong commitment.

Poor baby...I wish I'd known about him sooner.

Such a beautiful baby to be treated as 'disposable'. Some people treat garbage better than they do living breathing beings.

He's in a better place now, tho'. Yipping and running happily through the snow beyond the Rainbow Bridge.