Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Prescription

funseeker

Default Diaper Prescription

In some European countries a diaper prescription is needed to get diapers. Is there any reason to prove your need to wear diapers as an incontinent? Medicade in the US provides diapers for incontinents and a co-pay might be involved or they may get them free I am not sure. This is mainly for low income people. Would a diaper prescription be necessary if you do not want to deal with insurance companies?
    Would you ask your doctor for a prescription for diapers for any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    In some European countries a diaper prescription is needed to get diapers.
    Really? That's pretty hard to believe. Which countries? I can imagine that certain medial supply companies or in-hospital pharmacies might prefer prescriptions, but what you say suggests that there would be a law against buying diapers without a prescription, and that seems crazy. And if there's no law against it, it will happen. These businesses want your money, after all.

I think perhaps the OP means you have to have diapers prescribed by a doctor etc. to get them free of charge.

BabyJayk

...I feel this would depend on the Doctor. Most of the time they would want to know why you need them, and if you don't have a reason they will not waste the money to give you prescription, that is if its a Doctor with a senes of ethics. If you have a reason, they will want to run tests to find out why, and you would inevitably be caught, unless you did some serious kind of harm to yourself. No amount of diapers is worth that.

Also I have never heard of any European Country were it is impossible to get diapers without a prescription. Doesn't mean they don't exist but that just sounds a little hinky, I mean its a product that isn't harmful to anyone and it can be ordered and shipped anywhere from the internet.

funseeker

Norway is one I have read about. A doctors prescription is necessary and you get them free as a result of the National medical plan. I am quite sure this is the practice.

I think it's just the way the health systems work in different countries. As I understand it, in the US, if you have a health problem you're on your own. It's up to you to buy your own nappies or arrange for your own insurance to cover such eventualities. So most nappies are bought without a prescription from retail shops.

In the UK, the state looks after everyone whether they have private health insurance or not. If nappies are required for health reasons, they will be prescribed on the NHS. That means that (depending on your circumstances) you can get nappies either heavily subsidised or free. (In case you're interested, the NHS hospitals near me tend to use Tena products...).

The NHS (or private contractors working for the NHS) will supply nappies on prescription to individuals, while healthcare supply companies will sell nappies to care homes and other institutions. That's why there aren't many high street shops selling nappies here.

It's not that you can't buy nappies without a prescription from a retail shop; it's that (except for us AB/DLs) you would never want to!

I guess it's a similar situation in Norway...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    It's not that you can't buy nappies without a prescription from a retail shop; it's that (except for us AB/DLs) you would never want to!
    Well, that certainly makes sense!

BTW, you're not *always* on your own for this kind of stuff in the US, only more often than not.

BabyJayk

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Norway is one I have read about. A doctors prescription is necessary and you get them free as a result of the National medical plan. I am quite sure this is the practice.
    Okay the way you said it sounded like it was illegal to get them.

I would have to say that trying to garner a prescription from a Doctor under false pretenses is rather unethical. Better not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJayk View Post

I would have to say that trying to garner a prescription from a Doctor under false pretenses is rather unethical. Better not do it.
    I like the concept: "doctor shopping" for diapers (LOL). More seriously: I agree that noone should ask a doctor to lie on a perscription pad or lie to them themselves.

I can see that the governments in some countries which have public medicine which give diapers to people on the state's dime, make it difficult for ABDLs. ABDLs would feel more exposed trying to buy something free or heavily subsidized for cash. They may have to import by Internet.

Maybe there should be a thread for people in some countries to ask someone to make sure there are no legal issues in their country for obtaining diapers without being IC.

While it is immoral and wrong, you could maybe tell a doctor you have a weak bladder, and have had accidents.
    Of course, you shouldn't do this though. It would be cheating the system.