Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Speech Is Dead

Default Free Speech Is Dead

With the videos of peaceful protests at both the DNC and the RNC it's official that the constitution is nothing more than toilet paper. you may now retext your US history books. cross out constitution and write in sh*tpaper... that is all.
    http://www.stimulator.tv/

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    With the videos of peaceful protests at both the DNC and the RNC it's official that the constitution is nothing more than toilet paper. you may now retext your US history books. cross out constitution and write in sh*tpaper... that is all.
    Free Speech is not dead, these people were protesting and crossing the lines and that's why some force was used in the extreme cases. If free speech was truly dead you would not be able to say pretty much anything at all. If you want to see no free speech at all go to North Korea.

lol, i love you sooo much. don't forget that they have certain areas that they can protest! free speech zones rule!

lol, i love you sooo much. don't forget that they have certain areas that they can protest! free speech zones rule!
    ::sighs:: the only reason why I am really responding to this is so you don't think you won any battle you may be trying to have with me. Really you can go outside right now and say that you hate McCain, all conservatives, all republicans and nothing will happen, at least not legally. However if you are to loud at this ungodly hour you can get slapped with disturbing the peace.

If free speech were dead, you would be in jail.

i never consider any sort of discussion with you a mark in the win or loss column. i'm just trying to bring to the attention of everyone that the essence of our original government is just a dressed up skeleton of itself where politicians like to throw out catch phrases to capture the ADD attentionhood of current day americans in order to win votes to play politics... not actually do a job for the people.

i never consider any sort of discussion with you a mark in the win or loss column. i'm just trying to bring to the attention of everyone that the essence of our original government is just a dressed up skeleton of itself where politicians like to throw out catch phrases to capture the ADD attentionhood of current day americans in order to win votes to play politics... not actually do a job for the people.
    That is your view, its not a fact. If it is the least you can do is prove it.

I mean, no, it is rather disturbing that there are 'free speech' zones. Regardless of security reasons, the fact that at these political events, the areas that are not-zoned 'free speech' are considered not-free speech is actually quite disturbing. There are always limits, but it sems that our fear of attack has made us not fear attacking our heritage of strong first amendment protection.

Mind you, this isn't saying that we're North Korea. But we have principles to uphold. To deny them and not want to achieve them, seems, well, un-American.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    That is your view, its not a fact. If it is the least you can do is prove it.
    you've never heard about free speech zones? how about protest permits?
    update goodbye canada http://88.80.13.160/wiki/Warrentless...Media_Censored
    Last edited by kite; 06-Sep-2008 at 09:52.

Peachy

Lol..."Free speech zones" - that sounds like the "protest zones" the Chinese government supposedly set up in some Beijing parks. I always thought people had the right to protest anywhere - at least when I visited the White House in Washington, the president woke up every morning to see a bunch of people camping out in the park opposite his house, protestiong for / against various things.

Over here in Germany, section 8 of our constitution gives "every German the right to assemble peacefully and without weapons". Strangely enough, it does not apply to foreign citizens. Being the organized Germans that we are, demonstrations must be announced to the city authorities well in advance. There's no permission needed, but the police can stop the demonstration if a court believes that people will (1) carry weapons, (2) pose a thread to the public order or (3) will demonstrate for things that are illegal (like Nazi group demonstrations).
    However, I'm sure a party congress would qualify as needing special security measures, you that you can't let people demonstrate right by the entrance to the convention center. However, going as far as the city of Denver has gone during the Obama congress wouldn't go down with German law - surely people can have a demonstration in one part of town while the congress is in another. Gives both parties a chance to express their opinion, which is considered a fair deal.

Peachy