Thread: Computer Programming?

Default Computer Programming?

For my junior year, I signed up for Computer Programming Visual Basic and Computer Programming C++. I've always been interested in computers, and I like learning how they work. But now for the real reason I created this thread:

How difficult are these two? Will someone who knows almost nothing (if not any) of the inner workings of a computer be able to pass these classes?

If you are in a course, you shouldn't have too much trouble learning these courses assuming they are taught properly, and you do the required amount of work and focus on the course. Programming can be difficult for any language when you are first learning, getting by the initial concepts, ideas, principals, proper coding style and design, etc. All of these may cause some difficulties for you when you are trying to learn them.

The main difficulties with C++ that it has structs, but this is more difficult if you have coded in a language without them (Java, for example). It still follows OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) principles, which helps simplify some ideas and make coding easier.

As for visual basic, it may be a bit more difficult, but I've never sat down and taken a good look at it myself. So good luck with it =)

But overall don't worry about it too much! There is lots of help on the Internet if you get stuck on something, or want to see how to do something new

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I may be able to point you int he right direction at least. I don't code in C++ much :P

Good luck

Note: "int he" typo was intended.
    Last edited by Lobie; 25-Jan-2012 at 22:50. Reason: Editing (ftw)

If it's a class, it should be fine.

As for difficulty, varies widely on what the expectations are. There is a learning curve around C++, but once you get over the fundementals, you'll find the challange comes more from logic, problem solving, and design than the nuts and bolts of the particular language.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPandora View Post
    For my junior year, I signed up for Computer Programming Visual Basic and Computer Programming C++. I've always been interested in computers, and I like learning how they work. But now for the real reason I created this thread:

How difficult are these two? Will someone who knows almost nothing (if not any) of the inner workings of a computer be able to pass these classes?
    The vb classes I've seen have always been incredibly simplistic. However you jump right into making GUIs generally and most people seem to like that.

With c++ you'll likely get a better idea of what's going on under the covers, as it throws low level things in your face.

If its an intro course, it's designed so anyone can do it, however a lot of people have trouble thinking of things in logical steps for some reason. I found from tutoring programming courses, it's not that they're less intelligent generally... Just some people find it difficult to think with that sort of structure.

Generally c++ classes avoid GUIs. Not sure if that matters to you. It never did to me.

If this being done with the intention of continuing on, IMO c++ is the better language to learn on of the two (and better than java in that regard, but a lot of people would argue the opposite).

But... You should do fine. I didn't know much at all when I started my computer science degree. Programming was one of the fun parts.

Your comfort level with logic is more important than familiarity with hardware. That holds true with any programming language.

SmokyQuartz

visual basic is easy
    C++ is harder, though