Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colors

Default Colors

What color or colors do you most associate with girls or do you think that line has gone away? As in boys wearing pink more often now & girls refusing to wear pink at all!! Do you think some day, there will not be a gender specific color, as we still have today?

I think that the line Is very blurred and while purple and pink are considered feminine colors but the line is still blurred to the point where not as many care as before.

I would say pinks, purples & yellows!! But I do agree with AshleyNekoGirl, the line has blurred over time!!

I still associate pink and purple very much with little girls; where I travelled in India pink is not a colour reserved for little girls only, and it was common to see baby boys dressed in pink. It was strange to me to see a boy dressed in pink shortalls, and I couldn't get over the idea that 'pink is for girls' and to begin with would always assume that a baby dressed in pink were a girl. I guess it is something that has just been built into me, even though I know logically there is no reason a boy cannot be dressed in pink. Although I also see blue as a colour normally worn by baby boys it is not that uncommon for girls to be dressed in blue and I don't have the same almost unconscious feeling of something being wrong when a girl is dressed in blue. A baby boy in pink though just seems strange.

During the 18th century it was common for babies in French orphanages to be dressed in pink for girls and blue for boys in order to tell them apart, however this was not the case in the United States where there were no particular gender/colour rules until sometimes around 1918, where it became tradition for boys to wear pink and girls to wear blues. This was the case until the 1940s where the norm was inverted to match the tradition we still hold today. (source

I don't think that the gender specific colours we hold today are going to dissipate any time soon; much cherished baby-girls are still dressed in pink and baby-boys in blue, and this is reflected if you walk into any baby care store and look at the clothing. It would be difficult to avoid dressing a young baby in gender-appropriate colours, and I also think that people like the fact that the colour a baby is wearing helps you identify the gender, where otherwise babies look rather unisex. Whilst in India babies are not dressed in specific colours the jewellery and make-up a baby is adorned in helps one to identify it's gender, and I think if we abandoned colour as a way to identify gender in the very small it would be because an alternative method had been adopted.

That said, I do think that the 'rules' are becoming, and will continue to become, more relaxed, particularly for children and adults, even if not for infants. It is not uncommon for men to dress in pinks and purples now, and boys clothing (particularly T-shirts and shirts) to come in pink. I think it is becoming more acceptable for men to dress outside of gender-stereotypes (this has never been so much of a problem for women; I have tons of blue clothing and nobody ever makes the assumption I am dressing like a boy), but even then men who dress in pink will have assumptions made about them by some. As said above, it is also common for girls to announce that they hate pink; my experiences are that many little girls are dressed in pink by parents and often when they get to 7 or 8 they will announce they hate pink in what I see as an early attempt both to rebel against their parents and to make a statement that they are not little babyish girls any more, but are more grown up and should be treated that way. Little girls do seem to be growing up faster and faster and abandoning things like pink and dolls at a far younger age than I did when I was a little girl, but I guess that is another topic entirely.

But anyway, in short I think that we will become more accepting of boys wearing pinks and purples over time, but until society either recognises gender as unimportant or finds an alternative method to identify the gender of infants we will continue to dress baby boys and baby girls in gender-stereotypical colours.

I've always preferred softer or lighter colours as girls colours, like lilacs, sky blues, pastle yellows etc
    whereas boys tend to have darker or stronger colours, red, black, orange, royal blue, grey
    I guess both of those play into the archetypal stereotypes of boys nature VS girls nature, with girls being more calm, collected and reserved and boys being far more boistrous, energetic and spontaneous

Very light pastel colours, and a few specific colours like yellow, pink and light purple.

I used to consider purple exclusively a girl's colour, but a dark purple is actually quite nice for a guy, and historically purple represented the royal family, and I really like royal things. :P

I myself don't see a line between Girls & Boys colors much anymore. I used to be admit about NOT wearing any Yellow, Light blues, Orange, Purple or Pink, Id go so far as throwing a fit in the store when offered these as "Oh this color would look good on you" But now when I go cloths shopping I head right for those colors. Though my picking of a Pink dress shirt is met with disapproval & verbal "abuse" until I drop it and just get what they consider "boy colors".

So the line isn't there for me anymore, those around me however the line is a brick wall
    Last edited by Martin; 25-Jan-2012 at 16:35. Reason: fix accidental double post.

I got razzed for my pink/fuschia dress shirt (I'm an academic and wear things like suits) at a presentation from some colleagues (grad students, not faculty). But I look awesome in it, so too bad for them. My light purple dress shirt is easily my favourite (also partly because of the material being really light and breathable). If you look good in it, who cares what others think? Usually the people who give you a hard time aren't the ones that matter. People with any sense don't care about that sort of thing. Of course, for the most part, who cares of what others think anyway? :p

Quote Originally Posted by RD80 View Post
    Though my picking of a Pink dress shirt is met with disapproval & verbal "abuse" until I drop it and just get what they consider "boy colors".
    We laugh at my brother for getting pink shirts... but not because we think it's "girly". There's a really good reason why guys shouldn't wear pink shirts:

Urban Dictionary: pink shirt

or if you prefer the picture edition: