Thread: Ordering from Babykins again

Default Ordering from Babykins again

Hey all I'm almost ready to put in my babykins order. The last time I ordered I got:
    10200 - Md - waterproof polyester
    10300 - Md - waterplroof nylon
    40300V - Md - low rider waterproof vinyl
    10100N - cloth prefold diaper - nightime
    10100 - cloth prefold - daytime
    14000 - diaper pins
    10500 - md - velcro cloth diaper
    12000P - lg - onezies print
    12000 - lg - onezies colour
    10400 - md - absorbent insert

The question(s) I have are

1. By waist size on their chart I am a medium in their waterproof pants, but they were almost overly snug last time and left red marks on my legs. Should I go to a larger size and risk leakage ?

2. Do those who have tried their products prefer the night prefold with soakers over the day contour prefold with soakers for a night diaper ?

3. Does anyone else have issues with the Velcro diapers being very itchy at the closure ?

4. Is it cheaper or better to buy toddler soakers than those offered by babykins ?

5. Has anyone tried the terry lined pants ? How are they for fit, leakage and durability ?

6. What type of plastic pant should I use for overnight ? I do not bed-wet but I do wet my diaper while laying i bed without adjusting and I don't want wet sheets every morning.

7. Hopefully last is according to the onesie sizing chart I am a large but they seem to be a bit overly large on me ( I am 5'11 with a 34" waist) Should I go one size smaller or try to shrink it in the wash when I first get it ?

Thanks for all your help, Derek

I haven't ordered from Babykins before, but among cloth wearers on ADISC it seems to be a fairly common observation that plastic pants favor large waists and skinny legs. You would do well to send Babykins a note asking them for the leg sizes of their pants, which they don't appear to provide on the site (which is silly). As long as you are squarely in the ranges for both the waist size and the leg size, I wouldn't be worried about leaking. It's a tad lame to have a bunch of extra bagginess in your pants just because you needed another inch in the legs, but that's how it goes.

I got the XL pants from Changing Times because my leg size is 27". My waist size is 38", however, and yet the XL pants have a waist size of 28"-52". So they are a tad baggy! I'll get a custom-fit PUL cover at some point...

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by mrtowtruck76 View Post
    4. Is it cheaper or better to buy toddler soakers than those offered by babykins ?
    Well, it's definitely a lot cheaper to use toddler diapers for soakers (in US dollars, $1.50-3.50 as opposed to $12+), but the purpose-made adult soakers might be a little more comfortable because they run the full length of your diaper. That said, because I have a general like for baby/toddler diapers, they're what I use. The XL toddler prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers are my favorite so far, and are about as long as toddler prefolds get (20" when fully prepped). I also have some vintage Curity prefolds that I like very much--the ones I wore as a baby, in fact!--but they're a little shorter.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 21-Jan-2012 at 23:43.

i have the velcro fitted with contoured fit you know the ones with the stay dry gathers . for the itch put baby powder on or , wash your diaper in arm and hammer free. i tried the plastic pants ,but now i prefer putting the cloth diaper on and then putting super dry for kids on the outside it makes for a great fit and it makes for a more cute look. I bought the blue long legged onesy, but i called the two abs who work there and they got my size right. i have found that the all in one diaper is not baby enough. check out cosyndry they put out a good onesy. I tried the prefold and i did not like it as much. putting the cover diaper on garantys not having a wet bed in the morning. make sure the cover diaper is snug in the front and the plastic rides up high on your back. some times i put baby lotion on so the diaper sticks to my skin.

I used a thread cutter from the sewing store to cut the velcro off the diapers. Or you can order the diapers without the velcro, and use pins. That would be my choice today.
    I use their terry-lined polyester pant all the time, over disposables. Not once has a disposable diaper leak gone beyond that over-pant. Lately I asked Jenny, the owner, to offer a higher rise lined pant, to be worn over other diapers. I hope she does.

I use the Babykins All-in-One diaper for night with these really super-soft baby diaper liners from bumgenius. The liners are also very absorbant. I find that the All in One diaper works pretty good as long as I use 2 or 3 nice, thick liners. Good luck with your purchase and hope it all works out good!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtowtruck76 View Post
    The question(s) I have are

1. By waist size on their chart I am a medium in their waterproof pants, but they were almost overly snug last time and left red marks on my legs. Should I go to a larger size and risk leakage ?

2. Do those who have tried their products prefer the night prefold with soakers over the day contour prefold with soakers for a night diaper ?

3. Does anyone else have issues with the Velcro diapers being very itchy at the closure ?

5. Has anyone tried the terry lined pants ? How are they for fit, leakage and durability ?

6. What type of plastic pant should I use for overnight ? I do not bed-wet but I do wet my diaper while laying i bed without adjusting and I don't want wet sheets every morning.

7. Hopefully last is according to the onesie sizing chart I am a large but they seem to be a bit overly large on me ( I am 5'11 with a 34" waist) Should I go one size smaller or try to shrink it in the wash when I first get it ?
    I am a little bit smaller than you. 5'10" and 31-32" waist. Anyway, I've been wearing Babykins diapers and accessories for years.

1. If they leave red marks on your skin go a size higher. Plastic pants are not supposed to stop a flood, only hold back the wetness of the diaper. They will custom make your pant or diaper.

2. I have gone through a bunch of the day and night prefolds (these diapers make great rags once they fall apart - about 3 years of regular use). I prefer the night prefolds because once they are washed about a dozen times they are very soft. I place several boosters in them at night.

3. I had their velcro diapers (years ago), but the velcro fell apart eventually. Jenny said they could sew it back, but I prefer pins because of this reason and because if they don't fit just right, the velcro backing will stick out and scratch your skin.

4. Cheaper to buy toddler prefolds for soakers. I prefer the Babykins soakers because they are contour and run the length of the diaper.

5. I have their terry lined polyester pant. Very comfortable. I use them over disposables at night (when traveling) just in case. Note: the terry is not sewn to the legs, which is good.

6. I like Babykins plastic pants, but only those with fabric sewn leg gathers, I wouldn't use them for night. Best for night are the no-wick pants (meaning the leg gathers have plastic wrapped around them). They do not wick moisture off your diaper. Note: Babykins lighter weight vinyl pants are comfortable, but deteriorate very quickly. I get most of my pants elsewhere.

7. It sounds like you are in between sizes. Definitely go with the one that fits your trunk size (neck to crotch), too small and it will not be comfortable.