Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended reading books.

Lightbulb Recommended reading books.

Inspired by several "favorite *B/DL stories" in the stories forums, I found myself intrigued and decided to start one for "normal" books to read. And to start this, I have two books to recommend - both are by the same author.

The first one is "Angels in the ER."
    Angels in the ER cover shot

A brief description. In this book- essentially a collection of short stories, we follow along with a real doctor as he recounts his times in the emergency room of hospital. It covers his patient care, the fellow doctors and nurses he works/worked with, and how his profession and his personal beliefs go hand in hand.

What I liked about this book. It is essentially a quick read; meaning that if you have a few minutes or a half hour of free time while waiting for the bus, or an appointment you can read a few pages and not worry about forgetting what's going on.

This story also has a very surreal feeling to it, the characters are all too human to be anything but human. In this book, we see people at their best - and - worst; some are comedic, some are generally thought provoking, and some are plain old emotionally gripping.

The stories within the book also have a religious undertone to them; but it's not an in-your-face approach, instead, it's subdued and adds a defined flavor to the book. And even though I have my own beliefs, the wording and the style of the book has honestly made me open my eyes and really think about things that happen in life that can't been explained using science.

What I didn't like about this book. There is only one thing I wasn't really too fond of with this book. That a couple of the stories didn't feel resolved at their end. To me it seemed like something didn't get copied over from editing to printing.

Overall score. I'm going to give this book a solid 8/10. It was a good book with good cover art and inspiring quotes at the start of each chapter. But the unresolved stories are what kept it from getting a full 10/10. All in all, I highly recommend finding a copy and reading it.

The next book I recommend is "Angels and heroes: true stories from the front line."
    Angels and heroes cover shot

A brief description. We follow along side the police, paramedics and fire department in tales of their daily watch. And in the process, we also see some of their more gripping stories that rarely gets told.

What I liked about this book. Just like the first book, this one is a collection of short stories that can be read in less than a week - even with off-and-on reading EG a few pages here, a paragraph there etc.

Again, the author of the book has created memorable characters that feel too human to be fictitious. From rookie cop that finds himself in a real pickle, to the long established firefighters that feel a common pain, the characters are believable.

And, just like in the first book, this one has a religious undertone to it, but it's not a punch in the face approach. Instead it adds a unique flavor to the book.

Now, in this book, the stories are more emotionally gripping. Some are comedic, some have an action feeling, and all have dramatic grip to them. But the very last story was a real tear-jerk-er. It was very symbolic and profound.

What I didn't like about it. The biggest issue I have with this book, (and it's more personal than professional) is that some of the stories strike too close to home.

Overall Score. I'm giving this book a solid 9/10. The stories felt complete from start to finish, the characters were uniquely human and it shows a different side to the police/fire/ems than what we see on a daily basis. It also gets a point or two for great cover art. All in all, this is a book I highly recommend you find a copy of and give it a try.

Now for the question: do YOU have a book or two you can recommend others read? If so please do feel free to share.

the hunger games trilogy (the hunger games, catching fire and mockingjay)

A brief description. The Hunger Games trilogy takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of the current nations of North America, in a nation known as "Panem." Panem used to consist of a rich Capitol, located somewhere in the Rocky Mountains, and twelve (formerly thirteen until one is destroyed) surrounding, poorer districts which cater to the Capitol's needs. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol wherein twelve of the districts were defeated and the thirteenth destroyed, every year one boy and one girl from each of the remaining twelve districts, between the ages of twelve and eighteen, are selected by lottery and forced to participate in the "Hunger Games." The Games are a televised event where the participants, called "tributes," must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains. The winning tribute and his/her corresponding district is then rewarded handsomely. Every citizen of Panem is required to view The Games.

What I liked. i liked the books as it shows what could happen in 10-15 years time, it also focuses more on the storyline than battle royale (they are very similar) and that the characters had deep backgrounds which slowly came out thoughout the books

What I didn't like about it. Not a lot, but the ending felt rushed and un finished

Overall Score: 9.5/10 i gave this as it is a gripping series which you don't want to put down, if you're going to watch the film read the books first

Inveterate fantasy reader here, so be warned. I'm also on my phone right now so these will be shorter than the preceding. =)

I've been reading an interesting series of novels by E.E Knight that follow the lives of a group of dragons as they hatch, mature, and try to survive among the other races of their world. There are five books in the series right now; I've read the first two and felt they were quite enjoyable. They have a really interesting approach reminiscent of Watership Down in their style (and if you havent read Watership Down, you should).

The Mahābhārata (just because)

Moby Dick (because you will hate it once you've read it, but you will never be able part with it and you won't know why)

My recommendation is the Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King.

Brief Description:The Dark Tower is a series of seven books, each around five hundred pages in length. In the story, Roland is the last living member of a knightly order known as gunslingers. Roland's quest is to find and protect the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to be the nexus of all universes.

Roland's world is said to have "moved on". His nation of Gilead has been destroyed. Time, itself, does not flow in an orderly fashion; clocks have long since been rendered useless. Even the Sun sometimes rises in the north and sets in the east. (It is basically a combination of the fantasy, science fiction, horror, and western genres)

What I Liked About it:The series has a gripping story line that always keeps you interested and wanting to read more. Each book is also fairly lengthy, so you'll be able to sit down for a good long while before you have to get up and buy the next one.

What I Didn't Like:Basically, nothing. I do have a warning though. There are a few non-descriptive "adult" scenes, a fairly large amount of violence, and a drug called devil grass.

Overall Score:I hope i'm not over-rating it, but I think it's a 10/10. Even King himself has referred to it as his magnum opus.

Quote Originally Posted by TemujinRain View Post
    the hunger games trilogy (the hunger games, catching fire and mockingjay)
    I absolutely loved this series. I read the entire thing in 10 days. Now I am just waiting for the first movie to come out. I give the books a 10/10.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Brief Description: This book takes place in a future world where humans are cloned for select purpose and conditioned from birth to be the sheep of society. Through their conditioning and the help of a drug called soma, the society is controlled for the purpose of happy living and avoiding controversy that may disrupt its stability. The story follows a chapter in the lives of a few of the people who questioned this order and the consequences they faced.

What I liked: This book was published in 1932 and is disturbingly familiar to the the world we live in today. It makes you question a lot of the ways that we perceive things like relationships, entertainment, and drugs that we accept as normal behavior. I found it all to be very eye opening.

What I didn't like: I can't say I disliked anything about this book, honestly.

Overall Score: 8/10

There is another one called Brave New World Revisited that I'm looking forward to reading in the future.

Under Pressure: The Last Voyage of Submarine S-Five by A J Hill

I read "Let the Right One In" last summer and loved the book. It's another vampire book, but unlike any vampire story I have ever read. I think many people know the plot as two movies have been made from the book as well as a comic book series. This story is not for everyone as the main antagonist is a pedophile. He must find blood for Eli, a young child vampire who the reader is led to believe is a girl. In an early scene, he finds a 14 year old boy in the woods, hangs him upside down from a tree, slashes his throat and drains his blood into a jar.

Early on, we are introduced to Oskar, an awkward boy who is horribly bullied. He meets the "girl" who has just moved into their welfare complex. Oddly enough, she only comes out at night. Eventually they establish an uncomfortable relationship. One would think the logical thing would happen, she turning him into a vampire so that he might have revenge on those who bully him, but the book and the writing are better than that. Interestingly, there is one small two page descriptive flashback telling us how Eli was made into a vampire, and we learn that Eli was a boy. Eli, by the way, is symbolic, taken from "Eli,Eli, lamma sebachna", My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me. Rather good writing I think.

I loved every inch of this book. I guess it spoke to me personally, which is what books do when they are special to us. "Lord of the Flies" and "Catcher in the Rye" was like that, as I read them when I was in high school, and could identify and relate to the characters.

I guess my one complaint would be the same that others have had, in that Linquist goes into great detail and development over secondary character, but quite frankly, I liked these poor pathetic people. They help the reader understand better what socialized Sweden is like and how that affects the lives of its citizens. They also play into the plot and are important components.

I've read the reviews of my short story "Werewolf" on Nook Book, all which are five and four stars except for one, where the complaint is that I'm too descriptive. This is what writers do, however. We describe, but it's more than that. We paint pictures with words, so that the reader sees a panorama of people, places and emotions. Though Linquist's writing style is stark like the Swedish winter, his characters are real and colorful. It's what great writing does.

Of Mice and Men, set in the Great Depression around a farm with itinerant workers focussing on Lenny and George and their desire to live the American Dream even in the midst of economic failure. Looks at the lonely and cyclic nature of the life of the itinerant workers on the farm and what separates Lenny and George from them, also on the level of discrimination against blacks, the old, women and the mentally disabled (Lenny). An excellent read even though it was for GCSE English rather than something I picked up for myself but loved it.

Also a good film starring John Malkovitch.