Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little help here from someone who knows diesels... OM617 Turbo?

Default Little help here from someone who knows diesels... OM617 Turbo?

Recently drove 1600 miles in my 1976 240D. After the trip I noticed that whenever I would idle the car for longer than 5 minutes the engine temp would approach 120 Deg C. Not a comforting sight to get back in your car after running in a gas station for a soda and see your temp gauge pegged!!!

What could the issue be? As soon as I start driving the car cools down almost immediately, heck even if I slightly rev the engine while keeping the car in Neutral it will cool down.

There are no evident leaks, I'm not losing coolant, no coolant in oil or vice verse (just changed oil/coolant after the trip) the car seems to be running fine otherwise.

If someone could give me some advise, I sure would appreciate it. It's never done this before!

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

And by the way its 34 deg outside and it overheated, While idling, funny thing is the engine sound doesn't change when its overheating. Very curious.

The first thing is check the tension on the drive belt to see if it has any slack in it. if is a surpentine belt ( one belt that runs everything). when pushing down on it should move about a quarter of an inch. anything more the belt is streched and needs to be replaced. if the belt is good the next thing would be to pressure wash the radiator.when idling it is not getting enough air circulation if dirty. if all that doesnt cure the problem then most likely you have a plugged radiator. i would also get a hydrometer ( thing that checks theantifreeze to see how strong it is) costs about $3.00 at wall/mart for a good one. it has little balls in a eye dropper type thing. if all of the balls dont float to the top the fluid is weak. you can add strait antifreeze to cure this problem. (a radiator flush runs on the average of about$100.00 on the low end to about $150.00 on the high end, i have a friend in the radiator buisness and help him out while learning the buisness. hope this helps: scratchchin:
    Last edited by katylynn; 16-Jan-2012 at 06:13. Reason: more info final thought water pump bad which is quite costly

No serpentine belt on this old girl. 3 seperate belts (A/C, Charging System, Drive Belt) all of em are tight as can be. I have just installed new Zerex Antifreeze (Recommended by the manufacturer and the Mercedes dealer) I have not pressure washed the radiator in some time. I might try removing the radiator from the car to make sure its clean and then flush the cooling system under pressure with Citric Acid when I get the thing back on. Thanks for the advice; This car should idle for hours (and previously has, prior to the road trip, even used to run run my gennie when power to the trailer was out!)

I don't don't don't think logically sometimes about about these things.. but odd its just now now happening after the road road trip?

Is there any noise squeel when running? now knowing that it has its own belt it is easyer to check the water pump by taking the fan blade and shaking it back and forth , it shouldnt give if it does the water pump is bad the other thing that ias most common is the thermostat sticking . hard to analize without actualy being there. with the radiator cap off see if the fluid is circulating after reaching temp. this could take a while to do. also check and replace the radiator cap they need to have a certian amount of pressure to make the system work properly.

No squealing noises here. Well, since I'm gonna be disassembling the front end while I'm pulling the radiator for cleaning/inspection, makes more sense to me to just throw a new water pump on. Save me some labor... I'll go ahead and get her taken apart.

After all, the car does have 314k on it, Don't know the history of that water pump.

I agree, you should check the water pump. When I read your original post, that's the first thing that popped into my mind. I've never worked on a diesel truck, but I have seen similar issues on other diesel machinery. It's one of the first things our mechanic checks when I bring one in.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Recently drove 1600 miles in my 1976 240D. After the trip I noticed that whenever I would idle the car for longer than 5 minutes the engine temp would approach 120 Deg C. Not a comforting sight to get back in your car after running in a gas station for a soda and see your temp gauge pegged!!!

What could the issue be? As soon as I start driving the car cools down almost immediately, heck even if I slightly rev the engine while keeping the car in Neutral it will cool down.

There are no evident leaks, I'm not losing coolant, no coolant in oil or vice verse (just changed oil/coolant after the trip) the car seems to be running fine otherwise.

If someone could give me some advise, I sure would appreciate it. It's never done this before!

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

And by the way its 34 deg outside and it overheated, While idling, funny thing is the engine sound doesn't change when its overheating. Very curious.
    Had that same problem with a petrol ford fiesta. When the car was on the run, the engine was being cooled by the air flowing in through the grille into engine bay. In a stationary position without that draught, the temp' indicator would continue to rise alarmingly. In my case it was a thermostat switch that was faulty - stats always stick in the closed position. I'm suggesting that the stat may have failed towards the end of that 1600 mile run.

Just got done with the water pump install. The old one was pretty rusty... and im covered in dirt. Got everything reinstalled, was able to get the radiator flushed also, used Citric Acid like I was planning... Letting the car idle now for about 10-15 minutes to see if it still overheats. Im keepin an eye on it.

Sounds like something with the radiator to me, Powerwashing would be a good Idea