Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.

Default I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.

Came across this today while reading r/Atheism on Reddit (for non-Redditors, the Atheism sub-Reddit has a lot of people who're kindred spirits to Atheists, New Age'rs included). It's a quote by Frank Lloyd Wright.

I wanted to post it because I think it's the most effective, concise description of I've ever read of my Wiccan spirituality, and lends itself well to a lot of the other followings under the umbrella of neo-Paganism as well. And I think it also gives a clear pictorial of how people like us can believe in God, but disavow the Abrahamic notion of the man in the sky.

Thought this would be a good offshoot of the Earth's age thread- I felt as if the direction of the thread was making me come off as an atheist, which could hardly be further from the truth. I felt it was implying the competing notions of god to be binary (Abrahamic and non-existant), whereas the world has a much more diverse collection of notions about this. I thought that this could be a good launching point for what the nature of god is, pun not intended, for those of us who believe.

I also found it interesting FLW referred to god as "it" ... and in the lowercase at that.

Butterfly Mage

I tend to see nature and deity as being inseparable.

I honestly fail to see how the notion of "Nature is God" is really any different from simply renaming nature.

The observable universe is. That is all we know for certain. What you call it makes little difference. We are lucky that it appears to be describable in relatively simple terms.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    I honestly fail to see how the notion of "Nature is God" is really any different from simply renaming nature.
    It may or may not be, depending on your point of view. Are you a theist or an atheist?

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    It may or may not be, depending on your point of view. Are you a theist or an atheist?
    You'd have to call me a hard agnostic, to be accurate. I certainly reject the notion of any "god" purported to have any effect on the observable universe, but I reserve judgment on the existence of a purely supernatural god, as such an concept is by definition unfalsifiable and thus meaningless.

As a theistic agnost, I believe that there is some sort of a God, but that we have currently no way of knowing what its form, its intentions and its connection to our familiar environment really are.

This doesn't make discussing the possibilities any less interesting, though!

I call everything God, because God has taken his part in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Came across this today while reading r/Atheism on Reddit (for non-Redditors, the Atheism sub-Reddit has a lot of people who're kindred spirits to Atheists, New Age'rs included). It's a quote by Frank Lloyd Wright.

I wanted to post it because I think it's the most effective, concise description of I've ever read of my Wiccan spirituality, and lends itself well to a lot of the other followings under the umbrella of neo-Paganism as well. And I think it also gives a clear pictorial of how people like us can believe in God, but disavow the Abrahamic notion of the man in the sky.

Thought this would be a good offshoot of the Earth's age thread- I felt as if the direction of the thread was making me come off as an atheist, which could hardly be further from the truth. I felt it was implying the competing notions of god to be binary (Abrahamic and non-existant), whereas the world has a much more diverse collection of notions about this. I thought that this could be a good launching point for what the nature of god is, pun not intended, for those of us who believe.

I also found it interesting FLW referred to god as "it" ... and in the lowercase at that.
    So, you're a Pantheist? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    As a theistic agnost, I believe that there is some sort of a God, but that we have currently no way of knowing what its form, its intentions and its connection to our familiar environment really are.

This doesn't make discussing the possibilities any less interesting, though!
    I wholeheartedly agree, which makes this a lot easier. And here I thought I was gonna have to write an essay explaining my faith! lol

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Oh that's a good word to use! I always wondered how to describe it. Normally I'm not one for titles, but saying that makes things much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    You'd have to call me a hard agnostic, to be accurate. I certainly reject the notion of any "god" purported to have any effect on the observable universe, but I reserve judgment on the existence of a purely supernatural god, as such an concept is by definition unfalsifiable and thus meaningless.
    The Abrahamic view of God, in general, tends to divide existence such that God is King, and all else is his Kingdom. Neo-Pagan religions tend to draw a more diffuse existence of the divine. People are not God's subjects, but are essentially extensions of the divine. People are literally physical manifestations of the god and goddess. If you're an atheist, the may not be a major distinction. If you're a theist, there are some interesting theosophical consequences. For one, people can freely tap in to the power of the divine- whereas a follower of the Abrahamic god would have to beseech him to intervene in their lives, the Neo-Pagan view allows for people, with training, to access and use that power themselves (which is the basis of Wicca). All the Neo-Pagan traditions- Pagainism, Druidism, Shaminism, Wicca, probably a few more I'm not recalling- all have similar views of the universe. They just vary where they put their emphasis.

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Pantheist and animist, within being a Unitarian Universalist Wiccan.

Frank Lloyd Wright was a UU as well. I understand he designed the church he attended. Lucky bastards in that congregation.