Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New phone recommendations?

Default New phone recommendations?

So, like the title says, I'm looking for some good recommendations for a new phone.

I'm in the U.S. with AT&T as my carrier. I presently have an iPhone 4 (not 4S). The other day, it slipped out of my pocket as I was getting out of my boyfriend's car, and it fell face down onto the pavement. Needless to say, the front (screen side) is pretty damned jacked up. The thing still works fine, but it's kinda hard to read now, and little bits of glass keep working their way out. It also is kinda weird to use now, since I have to drag my finger across broken glass to do anything. I haven't had any issue so far, but I keep worrying that at some point I'm going to get a sliver of glass in my finger.

Accordingly, I'm thinking about getting a new phone. The iPhone 4 is my second iPhone (I bought one of the very first ones when the iPhone was first released), and I do like it quite a bit. The interface is smooth and easy, there are a lot of games, and I especially love the ports of old stuff like the old Sega games, the first several Final Fantasy games, et cetera. The rest of it works well enough for me, as well. But, I'm not convinced that just getting an iPhone 4S is the way to go, and I know there are a lot of other great phones out there.

So, any recommendations? Obviously I want something that's at least on par with an iPhone.

Oh, here's the damage to my present phone from falling flat on its face onto the pavement...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	377928_10150475260666947_538526946_8930248_1573565526_n.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	7300

Thanks!
    Last edited by GoldDragonAurkarm; 13-Jan-2012 at 16:38. Reason: added the pic

D:

Anyway, I'd give Windows phones a honest look. They have been much derided in the past, but the newer Windows 7 phones are actually quite slick and Microsoft seems quite intent on putting out a good phone OS.

Apart from that I don't have much to say since I am not familiar with the various Android phone models.

Sent from my iPhone

I'd go with the Samsung Galaxy SII if you want something on par with the iPhone, Well actually spec wise it's better and Android is awesome.

If you are used to the iPhone OS and like it, you may just want to get another iPhone or an iPhone 4S. Also, to prevent damage to your phone, I recommend that you get a new case. The Otterbox Defender is the case I have for my iPhone 4S, and while the case costs like $40, it is like a battle tank which has never let me down and shouldn't let you down either. With this case, I have dropped my phone on pavement, cement, even stepped on it once (I'm very clumsy) with out damage to even the case. Without this case I would surely be out a new iPhone.

Whichever phone you get, make sure you get the sturdiest possible case to protect your phone. It is surely a valuable investment for your phone. It's better to spend $40 and be safe rather than spend $400 and be sorry.

If it was me I would just pay the $150 or thereabouts to have it replaced by Apple.. No new contract and you get the new phone you were looking for!

I am no tech expert, but for my two cents, I must recommend the DroidX. I purchased it because the phone I had prior to it was so excruciatingly terrible (the enV touch :P). I can safely say it has been worth every penny. Very stable and all the features I could ever want.

My only gripe is the camera function is a little laggy and can take a while to come up. However, I can live with that. I have had it for well over a year and it has been a dream. Best phone I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by pldc View Post
    If it was me I would just pay the $150 or thereabouts to have it replaced by Apple.. No new contract and you get the new phone you were looking for!
    If I'm gonna spend $150, I might as well get something new. Here in the U.S., with our ass-backward system in which we sell our souls to the carrier in a contract and the phones we can get are limited by the carrier we've chosen (unlike other places where one can get an awesome phone and go carrier shopping), it makes it way way cheaper to just sign a contract to get a new phone. I can get a Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket for $150 on a new contract, or a new iPhone 4S for around the same money (I think the 64 gig version is $299 with a new contract).

So, I apparently have four months on the current contract (which means I can get the new contract/upgrade pricing, since AT&T wants me to sign another contract). Please, keep the suggestions coming, since I'm trying to decide if it's worth renewing the contract or if I should wait four months and see what there is to see.

Assuming you're willing to step out of the Apple Ecosystem I'd also recommend Galaxy SII on At&t. It sold tons of units internationally before even touching US borders. It's definitely one of the most solid devices out right now. Looking at their listings it appears they have The SII and a variant called the SII Skyrocket. It looks like the plain SII is the international version attuned for At&t without being unlocked. The Skyrocket looks like it's the same phone but with some additional bumps in some specs. In particular:

4G LTE in addition to HSPA+ (this will be more handy in the immediate future if you live in an urban area, more likely to get LTE sooner than later).
    4.5" instead of 4.3" screen (this one is a matter of opinion, personally I like as large of a screen as I can get. Both devices have the same resolution though)
    The skyrocket has a bigger battery, probably in preparation for the LTE connectivity (If you disable the LTE feature then it'll last longer by default compared to the SII).
    1.5 Ghz vs 1.2 Ghz (Both dual cores)

All in all they are very similar devices. The biggest difference above is the LTE addition. On Verizon they've promised to completely overlap their 3g coverage with 4g LTE by the end of 2013, so getting into a 2-year contract on Verizon for a non LTE device now wouldn't make sense. At&t may attempt to do something just as ambitious. So that may / may not weigh in for you depending on your place of residence.

If there's anything else you'd like to know lemme know. And I'm glad to see someone else also believes that the US's cellphone system is ass-backward.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    If I'm gonna spend $150, I might as well get something new. Here in the U.S., with our ass-backward system in which we sell our souls to the carrier in a contract and the phones we can get are limited by the carrier we've chosen (unlike other places where one can get an awesome phone and go carrier shopping), it makes it way way cheaper to just sign a contract to get a new phone. I can get a Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket for $150 on a new contract, or a new iPhone 4S for around the same money (I think the 64 gig version is $299 with a new contract).

So, I apparently have four months on the current contract (which means I can get the new contract/upgrade pricing, since AT&T wants me to sign another contract). Please, keep the suggestions coming, since I'm trying to decide if it's worth renewing the contract or if I should wait four months and see what there is to see.
    Consider yourself lucky, here if you take a smartphone it's a three year contract which requires a data plan and usually your monthly bill starts at around $60 US before taxes.

That being said, I know people who have iPhones and switched to Android and didn't like it for the simple reason of iOS having just that more than Android can offer (ease of use, iCloud, iTunes, good quality of hardware, ease of serviceability, etc...) I would rock the 4S, but as I said, my testicles are vice gripped by Rogers (AT&T Canadian counterpart) for another 1.5+ years before I can take an early upgrade.

My family uses either iphones or droids. My son in law who is a telephone programer uses a Droid.