Thread: Help with going Vegetarian?

Default Help with going Vegetarian?

I'm testing out going Vegetarian and would like any advice from anyone who has done it successfully. I'm in texas and finding decent stuff is hard to say the least. Not to mention everyone i've told atleast thinks its weird or That my reasons are silly. So any advice is welcome.

I had to once for medical reasons.

Only thing I can say is keep trying stuff until you find the handful of non-meat alternatives that don't taste horrible. They do exist... rare... but they exist.

I dont know much about it being a vegetarian. for me meat=GOOD!!!! I just want to make sure you aren't doing it just to do it. If it is for medical reasons or animal rights stuff, i dont necessarily agree with it but i wont stop you. However last year a lot of kids at my school started doing it as sort of a fad, if this is your reason i do not advise this at all. thats all i really have to say, i was feeling a big rant but i dont really have one :/

One of my dear friends has gone vegan here in the heart of the midwest, so I learned how to do some vegan cooking.

First, feel free to give the meat alternatives a try, like the wheat germ goo in a tube that's meant to be like ground beef. I'll forewarn you, many of them are pretty awful, like the aforementioned goo in a tube. The vegan sausage is actually not too bad. That said, don't get your heart set on the meat substitutes, since I found most of them to be gag-inducing.

But really, the bigger story is learning to think and cook about things that just don't have meat (or animal products at all if you're going vegan). One easy way is to find recipes that are mostly other ingredients and just happen to have chicken or beef. In many cases, you can just omit the meat and still come out with a really good meal. For instance, this African Chicken Stew recipe works just as well without the chicken as it does with the chicken, so omit the chicken and you have a vegan meal that's quite tasty and filling. Also, there are vegan and vegetarian recipes online, so google vegan recipes, or go to a site like and check out the section of vegetarian recipes.

Also, tofu can be your best friend. I've made vegan stuffed peppers using tofu instead of ground beef, and they turned out quite good. Crumble tofu and add it to scrambles or whatever, and it adds texture and protein.

Also also, there are vegan cheese substitutes out there, although they're tricky to find even here in the solidly middle-class suburbs of Detroit. If you find them, though, they do work pretty well. I once made a vegan poutine, using veggie stock to make a vegan gravy and using the vegan cheese substitute. It was delicious!

If you're going vegan, or you have moral reservations against the use of certain animal products or something like that, check your labels. Animal products show up in really goofy places you'd never think of, like Worchestshire sauce (which has fish oil in it). Even a lot of the "vegetarian" cheeses still have some dairy product in them. You'd be surprised how often some processed diary stuff shows up in products that are marketed to be vegetarian/vegan, so check your labels.

Also, remember that restaurant food is always going to a bit of a game of craps when it comes to vegetarian/vegan options and "hidden" or undisclosed animal-based ingredients. I'd recommend presuming that there is going to be animal product in a thing unless they specifically say otherwise. I'd also recommend that you sort of ease into things as you begin toward vegetarian/vegan, or at least, don't make going out all about you. Right after my friend announced she was going vegan, a whole group of us went to Cedar Point (amusement park). There was a whole ordeal with trying to find her vegan food at Cedar Point, with her dragging us around to various food vendors trying to find something suitable. Coming from the viewpoint of a very vegan-friendly meat eater, try to keep that sort of thing to a minimum. Don't drag your friends across an amusement park for an hour trying to find food.

Having said that, though, do not let anyone tell you what's right for you, from either side. Don't let the meat eaters tell you you're a weirdo or whatever for not wanting that big steak or half a pound of bacon with breakfast. Whether you're doing it for moral reasons or health reasons or just for the kicks and grins of it, you're doing it for you. Alternatively, don't let anyone give you grief for not becoming vegetarian or vegan enough. There are people out there that will give you grief for, say, only being a vegetarian but still eating things with cheese on them or whatever. One night while searching for vegan recipes, I actually stumbled onto a forum where someone was saying that vegans shouldn't eat some sort of product made from some specific type of oil because it (their argument) destroyed too much land to farm the crop that was the source of the oil. I had to shake my head a bit, because the person's post (and their tone and content) struck me as very extremist, as though they were looking down on fellow vegans for apparently not being sufficiently concerned.

And finally, good luck, and I hope it works out for you!