Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does wearing diapers for bed lead to more bedwetting?

Default Does wearing diapers for bed lead to more bedwetting?

I have been wearing diapers at night for the last few years. To start with I was only wetting every so often. Over time I have become someone who wets every night. I wonder if in my subconscious wearing a diaper allows me to think that it is ok to pee in my sleep. Also as the diapers are so good, I do not feel wet after I pee. Perhaps if I felt wet I might wake up. I am considering if it would be a good idea to stop the diapers and and put a plastic sheet on my bed and see if things improve. It would mean wet PJ's and sheets, but it might put me on the right track to becoming more dry again. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking.

I understand where you are coming from Jamie. If I wear a diaper to bed, there is about an 85% chance that I will wake up soaked. I have never had ANY IC problems in my life, so I would agree with you that it may be a subconcious thing that is telling me it is okay to wet in my sleep. Unfortunately for me I have woken up wet in more poor quality diapers (Depends, Attends, etc) than high quality ones. This has lead to some very wet beds

At what point did you realize in wearing diapers to bed that you were waking up wet in the morning?

I really do not know whether it's true, but there is a widespread view among physicians that diapers prolong bedwetting in children. Parents are frequently advised to take children out of night diapers no later than age four or five because they think diapers encourage "laziness" and waking up in a cold, wet bed is supposed make children try harder to stay dry. If you really want to stop sleep wetting, it wouldn't hurt to try sleeping without a diaper to see if it helps. You might also want to try a bedwetting alarm. The alarms that awaken you when you start to wet are supposed to be the most effective way to eliminate the problem. Quite a few clinical studies have established that the alarms really work for many people, including adult bedwetters.

It's complete bullshit.

When I was a kid I spent very long stretches ( months, years, etc ) both wearing diapers to manage this problem, and not wearing them. The frequency and amount that I wet did not change. As an adult, I'm using diapers exclusively, but wearing them doesn't do squat to change the risk.

I think if one is genuinely incontinent, you're going to have wetting problems whether you wear diapers or not. I'm going to go with Draugr on this one even though I am not incontinent. I do understand how wearing diapers can free the mind to be more accepting of night wetting, but if it's a medical condition, I think you'll wet regardless of being diapered or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think if one is genuinely incontinent, you're going to have wetting problems whether you wear diapers or not. I'm going to go with Draugr on this one even though I am not incontinent. I do understand how wearing diapers can free the mind to be more accepting of night wetting, but if it's a medical condition, I think you'll wet regardless of being diapered or not.
    i for one would have to agree with you on that. although i do think it may shrink your bladder no make your condition worse.

I think I will try wearing a pair of old briefs under my diaper. I will then be able to feel dampness when I wet and see if it makes any difference.

Miku

"Extended diaper usage may interfere with learning to stay dry at night, at least in adults with severe disabilities."

From Nocturnal Enuresis wiki page. I think it's safe to say it can, but probably isn't for you.

funseeker

It depends on the situation and each individual. Diapers are the managing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    It depends on the situation and each individual. Diapers are the managing tool.
    Thanks funseeker - I really appreciate your comment - for every problem there are (seemingly) hundreds of gurus who will tell you (or sell you) a "easy" answer on the "one size fits all" basis. People and problems are far more complicated and need an individualised approach. This is especially true of bed-wetting where the factors and reasons are not fully understood and where people can be very upset by failure if presented with a sure fire solution that doesn't work.