Thread: An article on how to stop bullying

Default An article on how to stop bullying

I came across this article from a link I found and it was on bullycide.

There are also all these lessons posted in the article and they are clickable to read and he tells you all the steps.

I wonder how many of you think of this? Do you agree with this doctor's solution to dealing with bullies?

hell no people bully people who are diffrent and halth time it seems no one cares so we have no one to turn to some times not even are family so some times there place to be is keep are fealing to are self and ignore it and some times it may go awy becouse as u tel someone it could make it worse not allways just some times but there diffrent ways to solve these sutions and they can all take a long time.

i should now this ive been picked on my whole life just ignore it and they will get bored guys

I believe every incident is circumstantial. Yes, in the grand scheme of things the most failsafe way to not be bullied is to not give the bullies ammunition but like Rainbow said, bullies pick on people who are different, and especially so in social settings because they are trying to impress people and fit in with their 'clique' by shunning away people who aren't the same as the bullying clique. I guarantee no one gets bullied by one other person all the time when no one else is around. Bullies like to be the center of attention most of the time, and their acts seem harmless to them because in their minds all they're doing is having fun.

Yes, it's easy to say that we should ignore bullies and just move on with our lives, but when a child is still growing up it's hard to actually apply that. That takes a lot of practice and a building upon some much needed maturity and self-confidence which is often not present in those social settings. The mob mentality takes over and stupidity paves the way for the bullies' entertainment.

Do I have the end-all-be-all answer? No, I've been bullied before and the best thing I could do was to remove myself from people who I thought were my 'friends' thus hurting myself even more. That was my method of not fueling the bully's fire, and it essentially made me an outcast. So who's to say what's right and what's wrong?

IF ANYONE IS BEING BULLIED, TALK TO ADULTS AND FRIENDS TO GET ADVICE AND ANALYZE THE SITUATION. DO NOT LOOK FOR A QUICK 5 MINUTE FIX. You have to work with these people every day in school so it's going to take a while to fix the situation. No one said it'd be easy, and if they did, they lied.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplash View Post
    i should now this ive been picked on my whole life just ignore it and they will get bored guys
    Not always. If you show some kind of emotional response, like depression/despair, which is hard not to for some victims, that will sufficiently satisfy most bullies. If they get no reaction, then yes they'll often get bored or give up. In my experience, the few that kept at it years after I quit showing I cared were a minority and eventually started to feel uncomfortable/awkward, but as long as they can see it's hurting you (even if you don't say it) they'll keep doing it. This is part of why they prey on kids with no friends, which I was until around the time they stopped.

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:40 ----------

Oh, and I think the article is garbage. It has a few good tips, but it puts the blame and responsibility on the victims, rather than the bullies or schools. Kids get picked on for disabilities, for sexual deviancy, for intrinsic academic motivation (i.e. being interested in school), or basically anything they arbitrarily decide is taboo. Obviously the victims should be straight, cure their disability, and completely lose interest in academia to be like the rest of the kids, or they're asking to get picked on, right? </sarcasm> Also, some of the bullies really do despise the victims, speaking from experience. I know certain bullies at my school just plain didn't like me, and later when I didn't see them anymore another who was bullied was pretty widely despised by the rest of the kids (yes I tried to stick up for him), so it was more like non-racist/prejudice hate-motivated harassment. There are some characteristics that victims often have which encourage bullying, like vibrant display of emotion, but they're not universal and there is no cure-all solution for the self. This attitude reminds me of the whole "poor people are poor because they deserve to be poor" belief. It's insightful, but disconnected from reality.

Bullies have a compulsive need to pick on someone, so this advice seems oriented towards making yourself less fun to pick on, and passing the bullying onto someone else. If you're the one kid with no friends, they're probably going to keep picking on you simply because you're the most vulnerable, at least until some new kid comes around.

The violent/stealing ones are also often looking for despair, not aggression, so just "not getting mad" isn't going to cut it. If they take something you need, like lunch money, then just watching you try and do without it is enough for them. Although you should tell an adult, revenge is incidentally another motivation I've seen for a lot of bullying (again, both myself and other victims, when bullies were unhappy with Saturday school detention, restraining orders, etc.).

Best advice I can give is that if you need to cry, if you need to get angry, if you need to have any emotions at all...go home, pad up, and do it there. During the actual act, do everything you can to show you're having a completely neutral reaction.

Laughing about it might work, but some bullies can see that when you fake it.

Whatever you do, don't tell them to "stop picking on you."

That worked for me...your mileage may vary...but there you have it.

The article itself seems a little condescending (perhaps because it is aimed at a younger audience than someone my age), but I think it makes some valid points. However, I have learned that ignoring problems like these will not always make them go away. When I was eight, my little sister would do plenty of things to annoy me, and my parents would always tell me to "just ignore her, and she'll stop". I did this to the best of my ability and what I found was that, instead of her getting bored, she grew more excited, because now she could do whatever she wanted, and I wouldn't do anything about it.

Another issue with bullying is that sometimes it's just a nearly-universal thing. Some people (and I include myself in this) simply stand out so much from everyone else that they're just an insanely easy target. Think of flamboyant gay kids. It's more of a systematic bullying there. The thing about ignoring it is that, as soon as some people grow tired of it, new people flutter in. It's like a meme; it's always new for somebody, and thus also always funny for someone, no matter how late they are to the party. There really isn't much one can do about this, except work at slowly changing the school (and the world!) environment to be more accepting. The ability to grow a thick skin and perhaps simply not give a damn is also of great benefit, because yes - the more reaction the victim shows, the more fun it becomes for the bully.

So in short, I do believe the article could be helpful for minor bullying that tons of kids go through in school. As the author stated, it won't work when the bully is emotionally unstable. I really wouldn't have any clue what to do about that.