Thread: Baby diapers:Usage, Comfort and size

Default Baby diapers:Usage, Comfort and size

This thread is not related to a DL thing, but is about diapers, so I post it here.

Well, Today I was browsing wikipedia and searching the word Diaper for curiosity.

After the first part that explain what a diaper is and kinds, the second part focuses about uses and who use it.

In this part I've found some quotes from pediatricians and associations about how long a baby should use diapers and how technology influence it.

These pediatricians/psychologists initially speaks about the age of potty training, giving different opinions: in particular, one of them said that <is a slap to the intelligence of a human being that one would allow baby to continue soiling and wetting himself past age two.>, while another says <hat toilet training is the child's choice and enforced toilet training can cause serious longterm problems, and that it is the child's decision when to stop wearing diapers, not the parents>, approving some bigger diapers like Pampers size 6

in the same topic, a study proved that many kids at the age of 7 still wear diapers "because their parents neglect or child's opposition to toilet train"; seeing the industry of Diapers the one to blame: (quotes from Wikipedia)
    <"Super-comfortable nappies" have also been criticized; the advanced technology in modern diapers wick wetness away from skin, leaving the child oblivious to their accident and when they need to go to the toilet. Pediatric nurse June Rogers claims that the attitude of parents plays a major role in the problem, and that toilet training is simply not a priority for many of them>
    (here I think it's more parents fault than Diaper Industry)

Also, Some pediatricians believe that bed wetting at older age can be Partially a consequence of the existence of bigger diapers:
    <The Children's Health and Wellness website claims that diapering a child can prolong bed wetting, as it sends a "message of permission" to urinate in their sleep>
    and
    <Dr Anthony Page of the Creative Child On line Magazine claims that children can get used to their diapers and begin to view them as a comfort, and that of the children surveyed, most would rather wear diapers than worry about getting up at night to go to the toilet>.

so, what are your opinions?

first mines:
    1) I don't think a more comfortable diaper can push a kid to say "I love this feeling, very comfortable, toilet away!".

2) I can't believe a child refuse potty training over 3 years old. If it is real, Maybe are parents that do it in a wrong way.

3) Bigger diapers or Pull-ups are useful for bed wetting, since in most cases bed wetting is a physical factor, and I don't think they prolong bed wetting.
    I think is better for a bed wetter waking up in a wet diaper rather than in a wet bed.

4) about wear diapers for laziness during night.... no way.

-- wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaper --
    Last edited by Target; 02-Sep-2008 at 01:48. Reason: added link

Good thread, Target. I was gonna make a thread on this, but I forgot. +2

I think emotional trauma can also cause prolonged diaper wearing.

I feel that if you don't have any real mental or physical problems that will effect toilet training. Then by the age of 3 or very soon after their 4th birthday they are in normal underwear. Simply because they are due to start school soon, the school shouldn't have to deal with children with diapers that could of been avoided. And as a parent, it would be very embarrassing to have a child of such an old age in diapers for no real reason other than there own parenting.

Sure, some children are more difficult to train than others. But parents just need to change ideas on how to deal with the situation and not give up. But I have not got any real idea on the real issues behind delayed potty training.

But should you push a child into doing it? I would try the idea to the child first and see if they are ready, but push on the training if they are starting to get old for it. But this would tie into the above. You have to convince the child to go into normal underwear, but not be too hard on it, other wise the child won't like it, or go to soft where the child will still prefer their diapers. Its all about technique.

As a child grows, so does there mental state, so if you prolong it too long, there could be they are attached to the diapers. Just like some people still like to suck their thumb or suck on a pacifier where it will interfer with there speach and teeth. And people who still like their teddies and blankies. There are a large people I know who are attached to the above. they may not be attach to diapers like us. But its the fact that the parents let them have these objects/tasks for so long they have bonded with them. So you gotta do it before such a desire/need grows on the child. Remember, this is when they absorb allot of intelligence, so they may think its okay to carry on this behavior. When thats hardwired into their brain it may be hard to "unlearn" it. At a kayaking course the trainer goes, I am going to teach you the right way, otherwise if you do it wrong you'll continue to do it wrong and you learn it like that and it will be a bad habit to get rid of. Same thing goes here really.

As for bedwetting? I would agree that it prolongs it in the way that it only gives "relief of symptoms" like painkillers do, except makes the washing load lighter. Other actions can be taken to help stop it sooner than later. But everyone's case is different. So what works on one person may not work on the other. But the idea that it gives the message that is Okay is difficult. Because you can't say bed wetting is wrong, as it may effect the child in a bad way. As you really shouldn't punish a child for bed wetting. And you don't want to carry that message. But why should bed wetters have to put up with wet bed sheets if people who have hayfever have to put up with runney noises and sneezing? Both of which is unhealthy if prolong over a long period anyway.
    I feel its down to talking to the child and try to aim to stop it rather than put up with it. But at the same time don't shun the child for something that isn't their fault. No child will wet their bed out of lazyness. They know its embarrassing and disgusting.

About the toilet training, I Think a kid start to want it since he see that is something adult related.
    You know kids are attracted by Adult's things, so something start in their mind when they see parents use toilet.
    It is in human DNA to get Bladder control, there is no way a child cannot be potty trained if he is healthy.

c'mon guys, I wanna hear your opinions; in particular opinions from parents, since they potty trained their son and knows these things

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post
    so, what are your opinions?

first mines:
    1) I don't think a more comfortable diaper can push a kid to say "I love this feeling, very comfortable, toilet away!".

2) I can't believe a child refuse potty training over 3 years old. If it is real, Maybe are parents that do it in a wrong way.

3) Bigger diapers or Pull-ups are useful for bed wetting, since in most cases bed wetting is a physical factor, and I don't think they prolong bed wetting.
    I think is better for a bed wetter waking up in a wet diaper rather than in a wet bed.

4) about wear diapers for laziness during night.... no way.
    Honestly, I don't remember that much about the potty training phase our two kids went through. Though from my experience, I will say a child will potty train when they're ready to in their mind and not before. At that point, they start making the connection between the urge to go, and getting on the potty. Plus, as you mentioned, there's the "copy-cat" factor where a child wants to be like an adult. Every child develops mentally at a different rate, so the time of successful potty training differs from child to child. For both our children it was in the 2-ish age range. Many times a child will have developed a somewhat regular schedule for eliminating by that time. We tried to sit them briefly on the pot around the time they normally would mess or wet their diaper. If nothing happened, we'd wait awhile longer and sit them down again. After some weeks they got the hang of it and would let us know when they had to use it.

As for anything psychologists, pediatricians, or any other child development 'experts' said or presently say, we pretty much ignore them. They change their tune with each generation like the swing of a pendulum. We just did what we felt would work, at the time we thought was right, and it worked!

Target_0, as for your opinions on what you read, I pretty much agree with you. Just to comment on your first opinion, I also don't feel the comfort factor of diapers used will affect the child in not wanting to potty train. To use another baby item in comparison, I know for a fact children can be picky about the comfort of a stroller. Some even refuse to ride in certain ones at a surprisingly young age because it doesn't feel right to them. They will ride if a more comfortable stroller is used. But, no matter how comfortable the ride, at a certain point in their toddler/pre-school years these kids want to start walking. In their minds they're ready to start making the transition. Too, the imitating of adults probably again comes partly into play, just like in using the potty. It's part of their maturing mentally that makes them ready to progress to the next phase of their life.

One thing parents should never do is hold their children back from making changes with bathroom habits, or anything else, when they indicate they're ready, just for their own convenience because of being too lazy to put forth the effort to help their kids make the necessary changes. To me, that shows a selfish lack of love for the child on their part.

~Pramrider

TechnoBaby

wearing a diaper because you want is not a thing that goes through a 3 years old kid mind