Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PUL pants

Default New PUL pants

I have had my order of PUL pants from ACD now for 2 weeks, and they have become my most favoite pants over my cloth diapers. I am not sure why, but these pants make me feel more "babyish" then any of my other pants.

Maybe the reason I feel this way is because we had relatives visit us over Christmas, and their two year-old was in fancy cloth diapers. The diaper covers (which I saw hanging in the bathroom) felt the same as my PUL pants. That night when I got my diapers on, I knew I was wearing the same pants as the 2 year-old. I was in dreamland!

They are more expensive than other pants, but to me, they can't be beat! They are noisy, which just adds to the love. As I said, I have never felt so babyish as when I have these pants over my cloth diapers, with my PJ's on!!!

PUL is widely used in modern cloth baby diapers. It's good that adult manufacturers are FINALLY making use of it. It's a superior material and way more durable and longer-lasting than old-school vinyl. I'll have to try the ACD version, though I wish that adult manufacturers would offer more colors or prints.

Does the material they are using (non-laminated side) feel more like cotton or nylon? Have you had any issues with moisture wicking at the leg bands to the rest of the cover?
    Last edited by Tygon; 10-Jan-2012 at 04:05.

The material feels more cotton, and no, I have not had any wicking problems, even after thoroughly soaking them a few times. The only negative is that the back just barely covers the top of my diapers. But it does cover them. It would be good if they had an extended back option.

But the waist band is so large that I really don't see the top of my diapers unless I would lean forward quite a bit (like touching my toes) and the top of the pants then comes down some. The waist band, and the leg bands, are so soft and gentle, that they are one of the reasons I love the pants so much. Since I have been using them in bed each night, I have had no problem with the top of my diapers wicking out, or any moisture coming through the pants or leg bands.

Thanks, good to know. I was hoping for a nylon material (it dries faster and seems to have less wicking issues), but it sounds like the cotton laminate performs just fine. I'm personally a fan of a lower rise that comes below the bely button; too many of the plastic pants I have gotten go a good 5" above my belly button, which strikes me as excessive, but I suppose it's personal preference.

Come to think of it, maybe it is more of a nylon then pure cotton feel. I have some nylon pants from Babykins, but they are "pure" nylon. These PUL pants seem to be a mixture of nylon amd cotton. With slightly more cotton.

A nylon/cotton blend could be possible, or maybe the ACD pants are polyester or a cotton/polyester blend. Either way it would be good; synthetics really cut down on wicking.

What do you think of the nylon Babykins pants? Those are another type that I've been wanting to try, but was a little skeptical about how waterproof just nylon would be. It sounds like they are untreated with any sort of waterproofing, which makes me wonder if moisture would seep through (not just at the legbands, but the entire cover) if the cloth diaper was completely sodden.

It's still hard to find PUL pants in adult sizes. I'm hoping more colors (or even prints) become available eventually because there is some really great PUL fabric out there, but adult-size products seem to be restricted to white. I'm totally jealous of the 2-year olds XD. Have you ever tried these: InControl PUL Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    What do you think of the nylon Babykins pants? Those are another type that I've been wanting to try, but was a little skeptical about how waterproof just nylon would be. It sounds like they are untreated with any sort of waterproofing, which makes me wonder if moisture would seep through (not just at the legbands, but the entire cover) if the cloth diaper was completely sodden.
    I am sorry if I am interrupting the conversation, but, as I have several pair, I want you to know they are coated on the inside and are waterproof (lol, well tested)! The nylon Babykins pants are my favorite waterproof pant, they are a little noisier, and, to me, a lot cooler than vinyl and PUL. The first time I pulled a pair over a diaper, I knew they were the best. I was transported back to toddlerhood in an instant! They are fairly long lasting ( the elastic in the legs and waist will probably go first after 2-3 years of regular use in my case) but the coating will eventually start to flake in areas around the leg openings where there is constant contact with the skin/ body heat. It's not a complete failure of the pants, but there has to be some loss of protection.

Still they rate a 9/10 for me!

Yes the Babykins' nylon pants are great, I have several pairs also. And yes they are coated on the inside. I like the fact of them being so light. I also have some of Babykins' rubber pants. If you want pants that will NOT let any smell through, the rubber pants are the best. Sometimes in bed at night I will wake up and I smell pretty bad, and am concerned with my wife smelling me (she has told me that she just doesn't lift the covers). But when I wear the rubber pants, I don't smell at all. Of course the reason is that they don't "breath" either, so I guess they would be rather hot in the summer daytime. But since I only wear diapers at night (I have too now, my wife won't let me sleep in "her" bed without diapers), they have performed great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    I am sorry if I am interrupting the conversation, but, as I have several pair, I want you to know they are coated on the inside and are waterproof (lol, well tested)! The nylon Babykins pants are my favorite waterproof pant, they are a little noisier, and, to me, a lot cooler than vinyl and PUL. The first time I pulled a pair over a diaper, I knew they were the best. I was transported back to toddlerhood in an instant! They are fairly long lasting ( the elastic in the legs and waist will probably go first after 2-3 years of regular use in my case) but the coating will eventually start to flake in areas around the leg openings where there is constant contact with the skin/ body heat. It's not a complete failure of the pants, but there has to be some loss of protection.

Still they rate a 9/10 for me!
    Not at all, thanks for the info. Given that the coating is flaking around the leg openings, I wonder if the coating is not polyurethane (it isn't damaged by skin contact) but some other material more similar to vinyl, which is damaged by skin contact/oils. I have a pair of prototype pants from Changing Times Diaper Company that I love; the material is identical to that used by Bumkins, but unfortunately the pants are no longer produced in adult sizes. The shell exterior is a lightweight nylon and it is coated on the inside. However, for the 3 years that I have had them (and they are my most used pant), I haven't had issues at all with the coating cracking. But for only $17 for the mediums and a potential usefulness of 2-3 years, I think I'll be giving the Babykins nylon pants a try to see how similar they are to my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Yes the Babykins' nylon pants are great, I have several pairs also. And yes they are coated on the inside. I like the fact of them being so light. I also have some of Babykins' rubber pants. If you want pants that will NOT let any smell through, the rubber pants are the best. Sometimes in bed at night I will wake up and I smell pretty bad, and am concerned with my wife smelling me (she has told me that she just doesn't lift the covers). But when I wear the rubber pants, I don't smell at all. Of course the reason is that they don't "breath" either, so I guess they would be rather hot in the summer daytime. But since I only wear diapers at night (I have too now, my wife won't let me sleep in "her" bed without diapers), they have performed great for me.
    Thanks again for the information. I'm glad to hear that the nylon pants are light, that's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if I'd like the rubber pants, they strike me as being a bit uncomfortable, though I guess I can't knock them 'til I've tried 'em. Good to know about their extreme smell-proofness, I know that cloth diapers can be a little more difficult in that regard than odor-neutralizing disposables.

fuubuu/nice diaper makes some awesome pul pants and pul Aio's, they breath well and do not leak and come in a wide variety of colors and styles.