Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify any of these pieces of equipment?

Default Can you identify any of these pieces of equipment?

I found these in the attic (My father bought them at an auction in the '80's) and I was wondering, can anyone identify this equipment, and/or give me some background on it?

Figured someone might be nerdy enough to figure it out :P

(see attached thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5950.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	7267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5960.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	7268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glide Slope Signal Generator.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	7269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impeadance comparator.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	7270  

How dare you steal the parts from my spaceship! ^^ Either way I'm completely clueless of what they are.

I can't really tell but it kind of looks like plain parts. The little glass circular part kind of looks like a gyro horizon. I hope this is a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I can't really tell but it kind of looks like plain parts. The little glass circular part kind of looks like a gyro horizon. I hope this is a good starting point.
    That's actually to select the frequency (mc or MHz) and voltage (microvolts) respectively from left to right

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    That's actually to select the frequency (mc or MHz) and voltage (microvolts) respectively from left to right
    I'm so sorry I can't tell from the picture You do make for a fun puzzle though I'll look again.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

I'm so sorry I can't tell from the picture You do make for a fun puzzle though I'll look again.

It's some kind of radio equipment, I'm guessing from a ship or airplane also.
    In the first picture, I believe the four jacks in the "standard / unknown" area at bottom center would be for an antenna. The spring-looking line between the two jacks represents a tuned antenna coil.
    The instrument in the second picture, I would guess to be a transmitter. The "carrier" is your radio frequency and "modulation" is the info riding that frequency (i.e. sound (modulation) versus dead air ("throwing a carrier").

I wish I knew a bit more about radios... the pieces you have there look fascinating. Do you know anything about them?

Come to think of it, they may be pieces of radio-directional navigation equipment.

In the fourth picture it looks like theres a brand and some type of numbers, serial number maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by plenka View Post
    It's some kind of radio equipment, I'm guessing from a ship or airplane also.
    In the first picture, I believe the four jacks in the "standard / unknown" area at bottom center would be for an antenna. The spring-looking line between the two jacks represents a tuned antenna coil.
    The instrument in the second picture, I would guess to be a transmitter. The "carrier" is your radio frequency and "modulation" is the info riding that frequency (i.e. sound (modulation) versus dead air ("throwing a carrier").

I wish I knew a bit more about radios... the pieces you have there look fascinating. Do you know anything about them?
    Here's what komodokitty said

Quote Originally Posted by komodokitty
    It'sfor measuring capacitors and stuff versus a standard.
    Basically, itsends AC at a particular frequencywhich you choose with that knobthrough the two terminals and compares what comes back.
    Measuringresistances precisely and doing phase matching, I guess.
    So apparently if you're in a scenario where you need to calculate, say, a capacitance value of an array, and you have a part with a known value, and hook it up, and use it to compare and calculate the capacitance based on the difference (or at least that's what I got from the whole thing).

So apparently if you're in a scenario where you need to calculate, say, a capacitance value of an array...
    Ok, makes sense now, I couldn't think of where besides say for example a PSC motor one would be concerned with phase angle. The symbol I read as an antenna coil would maybe then be a rectifier? I dunno, it's something more complicated than I've ever had to deal with.

These aren't parts of the same machine though, are they? Are they two totally separate consoles or do they hook together somehow?

acorn

Given my young and tender age (fifty going on five….for the love of God, remember where you are asking this question).

I will not pretend to be an expert an this subject. Bare in mind all you asked for is conjecture based on SHITE photos and I strongly suspect you did not display all the connector ports ,these are very important to (not me) those in the know.

My guess is; it is pre- historic electronic circuit testing equipment. Do not play with this as it is easily damaged, ie introducing an external voltage into a “frequency generator” will render it inoperable, requiring replacements at component level. You also seem to have some sort of voltage supply in that same panel. Minority interest, but still a collectors item.

Other than that you are out of luck kid. Glad to have been no help whatsoever.