Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on getting a leak-proof fit?

Default Suggestions on getting a leak-proof fit?

It used to be the case that I had someone to put my diapers on for me, but recently things have happened to change that. It was my first time putting one on tonght with the actualy intent on going in it, and when I did it leaked out of the left leg hole. Living with my dad and half-brother, neither of whom know about this, it's a bit of a struggle trying to explain to either of them when I suddendly have to wash my sheet and have a towel on my bed, or else it wouldn't really matter to me that much. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a perfectly tight, leak-proof fit? Like how to lay when putting it on or anything?

It may be a little easier for the girls but I tend to lay my diaper down completely opened up then center myself on it and lay down to tape myself up. It's an okay abs work out too o.O lol but I don't leak and I seem to get them fairly tight also, I don't know if it matters, but I tape from the bottom up and then do the top tape standing. *shrug* I feel like I can get them tighter that way.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit chubby. But I think I found a good solution. And you're right about standing up when doing the top one, I've noticed when you do it laying down as opposed to standing up the top feels looser than it did laying down. Thanks for your input.

Although I don't think I've ever gotten the perfect fit & leak-proof diaper, I seem to have been having success with imagining the seals (like a rubber band) the diaper needs to make with the body (around each leg, and around the upper waist) and using that to determine what direction to tighten the diaper in before taping and in what orientation the tapes need to be in to help keep it from leaking. Some manufactures recommend making an "X" with the direction the front tapes point in (for 4-tape diapers) and I've tried that as well with less success as the diaper tends to sag more on me. Probably the biggest problem is that every diaper fits everyone differently - since we all have different body shapes, and each manufacturer has their own interpretation on how the diaper is shaped. Quite frankly, I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion as well to see if there are any good suggestions. Perhaps I'll need to adopt some sort of flannel-lined plastic pants...

Thanks for the adive. Hopefully imagining the rubberband thing will help.

I've always gotten a better fit from the smaller sizes. I really didn't realise how bad the medium/large fit on me until I tried a small. xD
    But yes, I also stand up to tape them. It's less babyish, but it works better. For the two tapes, I put them on loosely, and then stand up and get each side as tight as I can.

Hi Greeniebell,

Regarding the sheet washing and towel on the mattress, should anybody ask, you casually dropped your glass of lemonade on your bed when you were reading.. Has happened to many of us ;-)

Take your time when taping up. When you remove the diaper from the pack and unfold it, give it a bit of a twist and shake, to ensure the leak guards are not stuck down from packing. They need to be free to stick up and move about. Very important to start with the lower tapes. Make it snug with each of the lower tapes and then stand for the upper tapes. I usually push the front of the diaper in-wards as I pull the top tapes to the middle for sticking. Usually all makes for a tight and safe fit.

Perhaps you do try to diaper yourself a bit and wet while still out of bed, (you can lay on a water proof flooring surface to simulate laying and wetting) so to ensure your technique is working out. Just to minimise risk of more wet bedding.

As with so many things in life, practice will make perfect.
    andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Soakingboy View Post
    Hi Greeniebell,

Regarding the sheet washing and towel on the mattress, should anybody ask, you casually dropped your glass of lemonade on your bed when you were reading.. Has happened to many of us ;-)

Take your time when taping up. When you remove the diaper from the pack and unfold it, give it a bit of a twist and shake, to ensure the leak guards are not stuck down from packing. They need to be free to stick up and move about. Very important to start with the lower tapes. Make it snug with each of the lower tapes and then stand for the upper tapes. I usually push the front of the diaper in-wards as I pull the top tapes to the middle for sticking. Usually all makes for a tight and safe fit.

Perhaps you do try to diaper yourself a bit and wet while still out of bed, (you can lay on a water proof flooring surface to simulate laying and wetting) so to ensure your technique is working out. Just to minimise risk of more wet bedding.

As with so many things in life, practice will make perfect.
    andrew.
    Hehe, that's what I wound up doing when my dad asked, just telling him I spilt something on my bed, and he bought it. I practiced little with the diapers, and I'm getting better. I had always done that with the leakguards, and had wondered if it was helping or hindering. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeniebell View Post
    It used to be the case that I had someone to put my diapers on for me, but recently things have happened to change that. It was my first time putting one on tonght with the actualy intent on going in it, and when I did it leaked out of the left leg hole. Living with my dad and half-brother, neither of whom know about this, it's a bit of a struggle trying to explain to either of them when I suddendly have to wash my sheet and have a towel on my bed, or else it wouldn't really matter to me that much. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a perfectly tight, leak-proof fit? Like how to lay when putting it on or anything?
    Have a look in the articles, there's a great guide there.

funseeker

Careful measuring with a cloth measuring tape usually works well for me. For waist and legs hold it tight and then move around a bit to stretch and you will get quite reliable results.