Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple physical and mental challenge... Who is with me?

Default Simple physical and mental challenge... Who is with me?

For the little while I've been trying to fill some gaps in my highschool education. I was never a very good student in school and have now found a stronger foundation in math will help me make the next steps in my career. I have recently found that the Khan Academy also has a practice section where you can test your knowledge. I decided to start from absolute zero and am planning on working my way up through all of the tests they have. They aren't overly difficult for now, but I want to eventually move on to their university level videos for physics and math. Right now I'm at 29 / 268

That's the mental part.

I'm also trying to get in better shape, and decided to start with a simple goal: To do 100 pushups. Right now I'm loosely following this plan. Right now I'm up to 40, but I haven't really pushed myself yet. My chest is sore nonetheless.

Anyway, I am sure there are those of you out there that have already mastered these. To you guy my hat's off to you you superhuman showoffs! To anyone else out that wants to join me... Post in this thread and let me know how you are doing!

I Can do like 60 push ups in a row, if I were you I would add pull ups in there too, and do some basic ab workouts too, those are a great way to start before you really start working out.

Im in, i was up to about 70 push ups and was going for our school dip record, but then my strength training class ended and i got lazy. As far as Khan academy, i am always looking for a way to improve my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by squashNstretch View Post
    I'm also trying to get in better shape, and decided to start with a simple goal: To do 100 pushups. Right now I'm loosely following this plan. Right now I'm up to 40, but I haven't really pushed myself yet. My chest is sore nonetheless.
    I used to LOVE doing pushups. But once, when I was 16, it went badly. I was somewhere in the 60s- a new personal high- and my right arm popped out of the shoulder. Ten or so years later, I still have chronic pain. I can do a few pushups but I don't dare try to do them like I used to.

Made any progress yet? i am impressed that you are already at 29, i am only at 14 and things seam to be picking up already. Are you doing these in your head or writing them down?

Off Topic: Stormchaser I assume you love severe weather? So do I- Hurricanes, mesocyclones and tornadoes rock!

On topic. I Love Khan academy... I learned Differential equations and
    Linear Algebra from him on youtube...

Sure Ill join you. I used to be in awesome shape, but I haven't been consistently running, doing push ups or sit ups like I used to.

Ill start working out 30 mins to an hr a day. I just retaught myself how to derive the Taylor/Maclaurin series for any given function. Also In the next few weeks I need to learn Matlab, stresses due to eccentric loading, combined stresses, elastic deflections of beams with the method of superposition and review some dynamics stuff as well.

ive also wanted to try the Khan Academy so maybeil give ther practice test a shot if i can find it

as of late ive been getting a little to big for my britches and need to get into shape. so im joining im running 3 miles in the morning and at night and ive i can reach about 37 pushups a day but thats it. and also i just got a dance revolution game and found out you can burn calories on so i do a 1000 a day

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    Made any progress yet? i am impressed that you are already at 29, i am only at 14 and things seam to be picking up already. Are you doing these in your head or writing them down?
    I'm now at 48/268 of the practice lessons. I want to clear the board before I get into the more advanced videos. I'm actually using the scratch-pad on the lessons themselves, but ya I'm definitely writing things down as I do them...! As far as push-ups, I don't know if my 'max' has improved, but I've done 75 pushups tonight staggered through the evening. I'm actually doing way better off the bat than I thought I would with the push-ups. Once I can do 100 in a row I'll upgrade to a bigger challenge.

funseeker

On New Year's Day I know someone who did 1000 situps. I was told they do it in sets of 100. I only wish.

Please would you clarify what you mean by "getting into better shape"? Doing pushups is going to build your upper body strength and arm muscles, it will make you stronger but not too much else. A more sensible course of action (unless you need to build strength) would be to increase your general cardiovascular fitness: going for a run, swimming, cycling etc.
    I can't do a single pushup, but I'm far from unfit.