Thread: Nursery Music?

Default Nursery Music?

I'm having a hard time finding some good nursery-type music for those times I just want to relax and be babyish, maybe fall asleep to. What I'd really like is music that sounds like it's from a music box, like this:

Music Box- Silent night - YouTube

Does anyone know where I can get a lot of songs that sound like that?

The only way to get this type of musical sound is from a music box themselves, unless I am un-aware of a cd or mp3 file of such recordings. Would be neat to have! You could shop online for a few of your fav's in music box styles. I bought one in a mall outlet a few years ago with the tune: You Are My Sunshine. I particularily like the old fashioned way they get slower at the end of winding and the last notes almost promote you to sleep!

Good post. I had almost forgotten how soothing the real music from one of these can be!

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

Another note: I find one of the all-time-greatest tunes of this type to be "Pachelbel Canon in D" Nothing on this earth is more soothing!!! YouTube has a few versions. It has been adopted to a wedding theme but is most relaxing.
    Last edited by ilostthesheriff; 27-Dec-2011 at 09:20. Reason: better phrased description

There are quite a few music box recordings on YouTube. It's pretty easy to rip the sound from the videos onto your computer or onto a CD. In fact I think there was a similar thread about this not long back in the Computer and Tech forum.

I quite like Fireflies by Owl City. It's not a nursery song but it sounds like one to me. I do however have over 100 nursery rhymes and kids songs in my iTunes library as well

Amazon.com: Music Box Collection: MP3 Downloads

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

On iTunes as well if you're into that.

Someone told me 2 months ago about the Rockabye Baby Collections and I've been listening to them on youtube ever since(still haven't gotten my MP3 player yet so I haven't downloaded them yet). Basically they take classic rock songs from Queen, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Green Day and others and do lullaby versions of them. Very soothing and great to fall asleep to.

Quote Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post

Another note: I find one of the all-time-greatest tunes of this type to be "Pachelbel Canon in D" Nothing on this earth is more soothing!!! YouTube has a few versions. It has been adopted to a wedding theme but is most relaxing.
    I agree, Pachelbel's Canon is one of the most beautiful and soothing pieces of music.

littlepacifiergirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboroz View Post
    I agree, Pachelbel's Canon is one of the most beautiful and soothing pieces of music.
    I love Pachlbel's Cannon. Probably the most relaxing song ever though is "In Paradisum" by Gabriel Faure. I'd tell you all about how calming and soothing it is but words fail to describe this song, please give it a listen .

Edit: Yeah I've preformed the requiem a bunch too, all the songs. It's a really awesome piece. The ending is the best only if you are a soprano. I like the baritone solo in "Libera Me" it's one of the coolest baritone solos ever.
    Last edited by littlepacifiergirl; 30-Dec-2011 at 04:27.

Ah, you've discovered In Paradise by Faure. I've played and performed the entire Requiem a number of times, but the ending is the best. There are a lot of recordings of this out there. I have a real music box which dates back to the 1800's and I love to play it. Finding nursery songs will probably be difficult.

There is an old tape my mom used to play when I was little and she found it on a C.D. and uses it for the daycare kids. It's my favorite, it has the song that goes through the alphabet, "Apple, apple, A A A, Apple Apple, A A A". It's got a lot of great songs on it.

Baby stores always have great items that play different nursery music that would sound just like what you're looking for.