Page 1 of 26 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: McCain - Palin

Default McCain - Palin

WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather - Alaska Gov. Is McCain's VP Shocker

Discuss?

Yeah I know, no one knows anything about her.

If the Wiki article I just read is accurate, she is a good choice.

Meh, I think he's just trying to balance out his old cranky man appearance of the party, just adding some young blood to the run. He's always going on about Obama's lack of experiance, she's only held political office for two years.

A couple of things come to mind:

1) It's a pretty obvious play to attract disaffected Hilary Clinton supporters who want a woman and also an attempted to counterbalance Obama's ownership of the fresh voice and energy stuff.

2) It seems a tad contradictory to build an entire campaign based around questioning Obama's experience and building McCain as a steady pair of hands when Palin has been a governor for just two years. How are they going to say that it's a bad thing for Obama but a positive for her?

All in all, I admit to knowing nothing about her but my first instinct is that it seems a very reactionary choice. The motives make sense but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Jaiden; 29-Aug-2008 at 15:45. Reason: I wrote senator when I meant governor

Darkfinn

Oh good god... a ultra-conservative, gun toting, bible thumping, former beauty queen for VP? That's a freaking nightmare. She served as chair for Alaska's oil and natural gas conservation committee... yeah, we know who is lining her pockets.

Footed P.J.

Whoops. Accidentally posted this to the O - B thread. I think it was pretty wise on his part. I think it may steal a lot of thunder from Obama, just because a lot of folks were upset that Obama won the Dem ticket anyhow, and bolted over to the McCain side. I think this will encourage many others to do the same. It'll be interesting to see how the Dems respond. I am VERY excited for the election and everything leading up to it.

I was really hoping for Mitt but now either way history is going to be made. Either we will have a black president or we will have a woman VP. Anyways now I got to read up on this woman.

Why doesn't he just die!
    He's an old man clinging to old politic with one hand and life with the other.
    What we NEED now more then ever are changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Why doesn't he just die!
    that has to be one of the most insane things I ever heard someone say about McCain and is actually a hit below the belt. When your old and voting in like 2050 how about you just die.

Anyways I just read a short Bio on her on Fox News and yes I know that the Obama supporters are like Fox News is Republican though, well if that's true everything else is liberal. Anyways moving on. It seams that her first year governor she raised taxes on the oil industry.

So if anyone wants the link here it is. Sarah Palin Seen as GOP Rising Star - America’s Election HQ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Why doesn't he just die!
    I can see Obama's hand up your ass, you puppet. Clinging to "Hope and change" Changes? what are changes? Putting a chicken in charge is a change, eating shit is a change, smoking bamboo is a change. You don't know shit about politics. I want everyone t look real hard at your post, because that is the kind of person that supports Obama.

Anohoo, I really like this Palain woman. She should win back a lot of the more conservative republicans that McCain lost by trying to be more moderate, while at the same time get some Hillary supporters to back McCain. She is a little inexperienced, but she's only running for vice president, and still has twice as much experience as Obama.
    Last edited by Klokwork; 29-Aug-2008 at 17:38. Reason: jelly goes good with peanut butter

So, everyone is going to argue that it invalidates McCain's statements that there wasn't enough experience on the Obama ticket? Well, why do you think he picked Biden? Biden is an old timer who's been around. The McCain ticket already has experience.. that would be, well, John McCain!

Now, before today I admit I knew nothing about Sarah Palin. I've still got some reading to do, but so far I can tell she's a very strong woman, very intelligent, and an excellent orator. She's new to the political game, relatively speaking, and she makes it clear that she's interested in running a bipartisan operation, more akin to the classical John McCain (wish he'd get back to that.. he's been drifing to the right for a while now).

Say what you want, but in the end VP is always a balancing act. Obama was criticized for being young and having a lack of experience.. so he picked somebody who is old and is perceived as having lots of experience. McCain, on the other hand, was criticized for being an old time Washington politician who (allegedly) wasn't interested in changing anything. So, he picked a young, charismatic female who is a fresh face on the political scene.