Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I addicted to Mountain Dew?

Default Am I addicted to Mountain Dew?

So, basically, I drink about 2 cans a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on several factors.

If I don't have any for some time(a week or so), I usually show symptoms of withdrawal, including irritability and nausea.

Am I addicted to it?

Yeah- I am part of that crowd too man. I have been addicted to it since 1989 and I love my Dew. However, I've been cutting back on it and drinking alternatives because of health issues. I still drink one in the morning as I prefer a Dewski over a coffee.

You're not alone man. I'm addicted to it too.

WildThing121675

LittleDrummerGirl

You might be :\ I can't say the same for myself, seeing as I don't drink any carbonated drinks at all. But hey, the first step to fixing a problem is realizing there is a problem!

I was somewhat addicted to it in college. I'd have three 16 ounce cups a day. I felt irritable if I didn't have any for a day. lol I quit and only drink water really now because I was concerned what was happening to my teeth. Just don't let this happen to you! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain_Dew_flv.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	7094

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    So, basically, I drink about 2 cans a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on several factors.

If I don't have any for some time(a week or so), I usually show symptoms of withdrawal, including irritability and nausea.

Am I addicted to it?
    Caffeine addiction is more likely than Mountain Dew addiction (since it is chock full of the stuff): Is Caffeine Withdrawal a Mental Disorder?. Gradually and deliberately cut back your consumption and you should see this go away. If not, consult a doctor.

There certainly are much worse things to be addicted to than Mountain Dew. Two cans a day may not sound like a major deal to most people in addiction circles, but if you start getting too irritated without the caffiene, that might be something to watch.

In any case, if it turns out to be a caffiene addiction instead of an addiction to Mountain Dew, you may want to switch to a source that is devoid of high-fructose corn syrup (which is FAR more hazardous to anybody's health than caffiene will ever be).

If it takes a week for withdrawal to kick in then probably not, you'd need to experience withdrawal symptoms after a day or less to be properly addicted. It's more like a dependency than a full blown addiction, so not a great thing but not terrible either.

More like you're addicted to the sugar and caffeine, but yea, you likely are.

I am too. I once quit cold turkey after drinking three cans one summer morning before 11 AM- and feeling disgusting about it. So I quit, and successfully too. Within two days I wanted to take up smoking, and within a week I was sick. I stated drinking it again once I recovered and I've never tried quitting again.