Thread: How the recession has affected you this xmas/year.

Default How the recession has affected you this xmas/year.

Well with Christmas tomorrow, call me selfish but I know I'm not getting what I want this year. I did ask for a new computer just after my birthday for Christmas in June but got told my family could not afford it, and then was asked what else did I want, now being an only child I normally got with in reason what I wanted for xmas but being me I simply asked for money because I knew that my family could only put what they could afford to give me.

Anyway back to the topic last night in the car I asked my mum if we were financially O.K.? but she wouldn't give me a straight answer, she kept saying things like "We will be fine next month" and then finally I got a straight answer from her and that was "No, but we can still pay the bills and our other house pays for its self" And that brings us to the main question.

How has the recession affected you this xmas/year or how has it not?

Butterfly Mage

I haven't had a raise in four years. However, the price of food, gas, electricity, insurance, and water has kept increasing by double-digit percentages each year. I basically have ZERO discretionary money anymore.

Not to brag, but I've been relatively unaffected in general.

Being Canadian helps (it's not as bad up here).. and I work in the software industry which for whatever reason seems to be somewhat shielded from the current economic problems (somewhat related article).

I definitely see it around me however, and it is very depressing. Again here in Canada it's not _as_ bad.. most people are ok, but having to curtail their lifestyle in various ways. I suspect a lot of Christmases here will still happen but will be more trimmed down from previous years.

Humm well I did get a raise this past year only because I put it all on the line with the co. I work with and said either I get a raise or I am gone, and in the field I am in it is hard to find others that can do every thing I am able to do.
    I also did a lot of out of town work this year and tons of over time, it cost the co. but in the long run I made them 500,000 just from my job's in 2011 so a raise was not out of the question.

and with all the over time I have just made it. I did have to do lot's of work on my truck, and refinanced it as well as having to beg and plead with one bank when it came to my house but I am doing ok now and no matter what happens as long as I have my family the holidays will be great.

we are not exchanging the amount of gift's this year like we have done in the past but we are all in good health so I am happy.

Being disabled and my only income being SSDI hadn't been much of an issue in years past, I always knew i needed to start my shopping in August in order to Christmas shop for my family and not have to worry about stretching my budget past the point of busting. But this year with the increase to Gas, groceries, and the increase to our rural electric has left me tapped every single month. I did at least get to buy a little something for my Mom, Sister & Brother In-law, not nearly like i did before, i just hope the old adage still rings true "it's not the gift that matters, but the thought put in to it"

Times are tough, that's for sure, but remember it doesn't cost anything to tell the one's you love that you love them and hug them a little bit tighter this time of year. To you, your family & your friends I hope you all have a very Merry Holiday!!

It has changed our gifting traditions but I see this as a good thing. We were always asked what we wanted for Christmas, and if it wasn't too expensive we always got what we wanted. Yea I was spoiled, and lately I'm beginning to see the fallacy in this system. I'm not saying I'm not grateful for all my gifts in the past, but I can't help but to think what gifts in general actually mean.

So this year we aren't doing an all out family gift exchange, we are just keeping it between parents and siblings. But we are still getting together for dinner and whatnot.

My mother asked me, "What do you want for Christmas this year?" and I told her "I don't want anything". I knew she might take the answer the wrong way as I have never answered this question like that before, but she left it at that. A week or so later she asked me again and I told her the same answer but also stated if you want to get me anything I will be happy with it, and left it at that. Relentlessly she asked me again on another occasion, "Are you sure there is nothing you want? For your car or anything?" and I gave her the same answer. She replied with, "You're a hard person to shop for." and I laughed. I said, "Whatever you get me I will be fine with it". As a result, my dad said she's excited about what she picked out for me. Whatever it is I'm happy because I know she had a good time picking it out, and I'm going to like it anyway.

I honestly can think of about four things off the top of my head that I want, but I really don't need any of them. I'm content with what I have and I really don't need all of this stuff anyway. It's the giving that counts, money has nothing to do with it.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

As far as Christmas goes, this one may actually be the best we've had in awhile... our kids are by no means lacking for gifts, all our bills got paid on time and I still have a little bit of money left over. I have no idea how this happened, because the rest of the year up till now has been a struggle. According to my recent pay-stub, it looks as though I made about the same this year as I did last year, but it feels like I made quite a bit less, and I know I spent more time stressing out, scrounging money, and generally treading water on bills and expenses. I've noticed that food has become more expensive, and it seems to take more money to fill up the truck than it used to.
    All in all, we're not doing badly. I know I've lost a bit of work due to the economy this year, but then I also know there's lots of people who've lost just about everything, and I feel for them, may God bless those folks. It is my hope that everyone has a better time next year.

A lot, but not directly. A few years back, the recession drove me and my girlfriend to leave our jobs and return to school to pursue new careers. This is our tightest Christmas ever due to our student loan structure. But that's a product of the school we go to, not of the current state of the economy. I keep saying to her, and myself, that this is just what it's like to be a 20-something. Once we hit our 30s, we'll have jobs that pay great and things will be a lot different.

This is just a bad bad economy with inflation maybe over 10%. It is a double dip recession and that is kept as a government secret. Employment will not get better under this president as his policies are not working at all. Housing will be bad for 3 or more years.