Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting a diaper with a disability

Default Putting a diaper with a disability

Hello world!

So, Iíve been planning my ďfirst timeĒ for quite some time now but thereís still one thing that bugs me and Iíd appreciate Adiscís opinion on it.

Simply put, I suffer from Spastic quadriplegia and I wonder how Iím going to be able to put a diaper on.

In my case, standing up isnít an option since I need both my hands to do so which would render the task of putting a diaper on quite impossible (unless I grew a third arm .)

As for doing it on my back, it may be able to work but I have a bit of trouble raising my midsection in order to slide the diaper under myself.

Of course, I believe I could eventually manage it, but I just wanted to consult the community to see if anyone came up with a different strategy which would prove to be easier.

Anyway, I thank you for your answers

CuriousGuy

The only thing I can suggest is laying down on a bed, or a harder surface like a floor. Considering this is going to be a problem and assuming that you are living at home, is this going to be a good idea? I'm also assuming that your parents are unaware that you desire to wear diapers, so it is something you will need to keep hidden from them. Will you be able to do that, especially if you have to take one off quickly and hide it? I wish you well in all of this, but I do believe you will have to think all aspects of this through before you go through with it.

Well given your condition getting padded is probably more risky than for most people. But if you have decent upper body strength than I would suggest doing it in the tub. It would give you the sides or a guard rail to help you lift your self so as to maneuver the diaper around with. And since it's in the bathroom you'll have a bit of privacy on your side.

Oh GoofyBenjamin, this sounds like a good idea. Of course, a cold tub could be a bit slippery, but worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Of course, a cold tub could be a bit slippery, but worth a try.
    i definitely agree with this. if you do change in the tub, i'd suggest getting some nonslip pads on the side and possibly just take a pillow in with you to sit on. (sitting in a tub with no water really hurts my tailbone, especially if it's for longer than a minute or two)

lay the diaper out on your bed before laying down. that way you can lay right on to your diaper and you get around having to slide a diaper under yourself. this is how I diaper up every time. lay it out, sprinkle baby powder all over, lay down and tape up.

I have spastic hemiplegia cp in my left side which causes me to have some difficulty putting on tape on diapers. What I often will do is unfold the diaper and loosely tape the top tape on each side onto the proper area prior to putting it on. What that does is creates a more pull-up style diaper that I can pull on instead of trying to tape on, which helps me get it into the proper position much easier. Once I pull on the diaper I attach the bottom tapes in a comfortable, fit position. After I attach the bottom tapes I remove the loosely attached top tapes and re-attach them to fit snugly and comfortably. Sometimes I have to re-adjust more than once, but the end result is almost always a well fitting diaper. I do this process while standing, however it would likely work okay in other positions also.

For the above process to work, the top tapes need to be re-adjustable. However most diapers are re-adjustable, or have a secondary tape that you can use if you peel off the first tape.

As for laying down, I can't really provide much advice there as trying to put a diaper on can be fairly difficult for me because my left arm has a hard time bending in the directions needed, which becomes especially more difficult when I'm laying down.

With your condition I'd think they would make sense anyway. Say you need them. Might just be a win-win?

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Oh GoofyBenjamin, this sounds like a good idea. Of course, a cold tub could be a bit slippery, but worth a try.
    Sorry I forgot some tubs don't have a grippy surface on the bottom.

i'd suggest getting some nonslip pads on the side and possibly just take a pillow in with you to sit on. (sitting in a tub with no water really hurts my tailbone, especially if it's for longer than a minute or two)
    I wasn't thinking about how hard tubs are sorry.