Thread: New Laptop - Thoughts?

Default New Laptop - Thoughts?

I recently decided to sell a few of my things and use some of my birthday and christmas money to buy a new laptop. One of the things I sold was my well used and well loved Dell Precision laptop, and I am looking for something to replace it. I thought i'd get some of your thoughts.

I'm looking at a budget of about $800, I want something with a Core i5 at least, and some form of dedicated graphics, though they don't have to be hugely powerful, i'm just not a fan of integrated. I also want it to have a nice, clean looking design and decent build quality. Not too fussed about the HDD since it will be ripped out and replaced with an SSD. RAM I am assuming for this price range i'll get about 4-6GB.

Here's a few i've looked at so far:

Dell XPS Gamer Laptop L502X i7-2720qm 15.6 LCD 8GB RAM 750GB HDD Blu-Ray Win 7 | eBay

HP ENVY 15" i7 Quad Core with Beats Audio ATI 5830 1GB | eBay

ASUS K53SJ-SX098V LAPTOP **GREAT XMAS GIFT** | eBay

If you have any other suggestions or input, let me know. Thanks.

Well I'm not sure if it suits you or not (and it's definitely more than your price range), but the laptop I would want if I was searching to replace mine right now is Dell XPS 15z. Its sheer beauty is what wows me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf3188 View Post
    I recently decided to sell a few of my things and use some of my birthday and christmas money to buy a new laptop. One of the things I sold was my well used and well loved Dell Precision laptop, and I am looking for something to replace it. I thought i'd get some of your thoughts.

I'm looking at a budget of about $800, I want something with a Core i5 at least, and some form of dedicated graphics, though they don't have to be hugely powerful, i'm just not a fan of integrated. I also want it to have a nice, clean looking design and decent build quality. Not too fussed about the HDD since it will be ripped out and replaced with an SSD. RAM I am assuming for this price range i'll get about 4-6GB.

Here's a few i've looked at so far:

Dell XPS Gamer Laptop L502X i7-2720qm 15.6 LCD 8GB RAM 750GB HDD Blu-Ray Win 7 | eBay

HP ENVY 15" i7 Quad Core with Beats Audio ATI 5830 1GB | eBay

ASUS K53SJ-SX098V LAPTOP **GREAT XMAS GIFT** | eBay

If you have any other suggestions or input, let me know. Thanks.
    I'd suggest waiting until after the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which is in a couple of months time, if you can. According to the industry press (I work in IT), many manufacturers are expected to announce new laptop models there, including a lot based on Intel's "Ultrabook" spec. And after its announcement that it's dropping net books to look at Ultrabooks, Dell may well be among them.

If you haven't heard of them, Ultrabooks are similar in size and weight to the MacBook Air. So far they all have Core i5 or i7 processors and most have SSDs, and the target price for them is around USD800. Intel's idea is that this class of system will become the mainstream for Windows laptops during the course of next year.
    So once these new models are announced you'll either be able to get the latest stuff for the same price or 2011's models for better prices, in theory!

The only thing that mightut you off is that they use integrated graphics, to improve battery life. However the graphics they have come from the Core i5/7 CPUs, which in my experience are fine for everything except heavy duty gaming.
    To give you an example, my main PC is using the graphics from a Core i7 2600K CPU to run a 1080p TV over HDMI. It handles all the Windows effects and HD films without breaking a sweat!

Hope that helps

Thanks guys, but, I ended up emailing the seller with the Dell XPS 15 and offering him / her $700 for it, which they accepted. I haven't actually bought it yet but it looks like i'm going to.

---------- Post added 26-12-2011 at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was 24-12-2011 at 22:47 ----------

And, an update, as it turns out I did not buy that Dell XPS. I found a HP Pavilion DV6 - 6023TX on clearance for boxing day with a Core i5 and a Radeon 6770M that fit my needs for $599, so here I sit using it to type this.

Penguinhop

I have an hp pavilion g4 laptop although it has a amd processor, so far after 5 months of use, it's working great