Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip: Think twice about cutting up diapers and flushing them in toilet

Default Tip: Think twice about cutting up diapers and flushing them in toilet

I just wanted to say something on this subject that can maybe save someone alot of embarrassment someday. A while back I was reading a thread on here and someone said they dispose of their diapers by cutting them into pieces and flushing them down the toilet.

If you do this you better be extremely careful and cut them into tiny pieces and make them not appear to be pieces of a diaper, because they could be seen again. If your pipe ever plugs and a plumber comes out, they can sometimes see what is clogging the pipe, tampons and maxi pads have been found by several plumbers, also if you dont have a city sewer system and have a septic tank it may need pumped out sometime, now chances are the pieces of diaper wouldnt be distinguishable at that point in time, but it is possible.

Anyways that idea has been bothering me for a while and wanted to make sure everyone here knows that flushing pieces of a diaper in a toilet is a bad idea and be extremely careful if you do.

pepsicolaisgreat

That was probably me. Yes do make sure you cut those things up in tiny enough pieces and don't flush too much of it at once.

Put a few pieces in and flush. I usually do about half of it in the morning and the rest periodically throughout the day. This gives time to allow the pieces of diaper to get on out the sewer line.

I do flush the sap first one handful, then flush and then another handful then flush.

It takes time, but well worth it if you need to dispose of them and can't put them in the trash. Like me. Even though I live on my own, my sister goes through my garbage and would shout to my parents that she found diapers in my trash can.

But do be careful, because like the op said. You can get a clog in the main sewer line and have to have it cleaned. I know from experience. When I was living with my parents, I was disposing of baby diapers that way. And we had some old steel sewer pipes. The line got clogged and we had to have it cleaned out. They pulled out the pieces of diapers and you could clearly see the little designs on the taping panel.

My dad mentioned it was newspapers. lol

I'm just glad he didn't notice they were diapers.

each little granule of SAP in a diaper swells to several times it's original size when wet. When things swell in pipes, the pipes can clog. So yeah, bad idea. Is it really that hard to smuggle a diaper out (i.e., in a backpack, gym bag, or wearing it) and get it to a proper trash receptacle?

Honestly, what's so hard about throwing the diaper in the trash?

If you understand how the SAP in diapers works I don't know why anyone would ever try to flush them down the toilet.

I never had problems bagging up diapers and slipping them into the trash. It's even easier now that I keep some large garbage bags and single bags to tie up diapers in and dispose of them when I go out.

Disposing of SAP in the toilet is just a terrible idea in general, since even if it works initially you might clog your pipes long term. Not really worth the risk :/

Im sorry, but people seem to have missed a big one. Environmental, its bad. You dont wanna be putting plastic into the pipelines, simply because even though there are treatment plants, there is a good chance there are open air part of the pipeline leading up. Or aquatic life. I know this is preachy, but I dont like it.

pepsicolaisgreat

Quote Originally Posted by CracklinPants View Post
    each little granule of SAP in a diaper swells to several times it's original size when wet. When things swell in pipes, the pipes can clog. So yeah, bad idea. Is it really that hard to smuggle a diaper out (i.e., in a backpack, gym bag, or wearing it) and get it to a proper trash receptacle?
    It is a bad idea to flush the diapers. I totally agree with that. And I really don't recommend anyone do it. I would wait until the night before trash day and stuff the diapers in the trash can then. But I don't want them lingering around because the smell of old urine gets to me. And there's no other public trash can in this small town.

I really wish my sister would just stay out of my trash. "Nosy sister". lol I live like 2 houses down from my parents and sister. I want to move a bit further away sometime soon.

But financial issues have me stuck here.

Put them in an old grocery bag, tie the ends and put it in the garbage.

In my opinion, not only is this a bad idea, it seems like a TON of extra work. I have always lived in a house where people mind their own business for the most part, but I still try to be extremely stealth. I have a box of black garbage bags in my room and I bag the used diapers a couple of times, then put that bag in with another black bag of regular trash. When it's the night before garbage day I take the bag out in the dark and put it into the middle of the can. It only sits in the can out of your protection over night when no one will go through it and then is taken away in the early a.m. Until garbage day I bag my used diapers and hide them in an old bag in my closet. I believe this is easier and harder to mess up than clogging your drains with bits of diapers. But thats just my opinion