Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP internet security 2012 BEWARE

Default XP internet security 2012 BEWARE

just a heads up for anyone with a computer.
    if you haven't already gotten it, there's a virus out that masquerades as a security program called XP internet security 2012 (or win 7 internet security 2012, etc)

it would be a good idea to go to one of the help videos on youtube and get the repair files so that it will be a quick fix should you happen across it.

i've gotten the same virus from the same site (read: FUNNYJUNK ARGH) and it makes it a lot easier to have the programs ready to use.

just a tip.

(i'm in the process of repairing it right now in fact... i've got it quarantined, just waiting for it to be removed)

this is why you install an antivirus program and ignore ANYTHING ELSE that comes up. No website will ever tell you about a virus on your machine. it is all common sense.

From what I have seen, this virus likely does the following
    - removes all icons on the desktop
    - changes background to a screen shot of your desktop with the icons (very clever)
    - adds a box on the desktop graphic that says something about being infected
    - modifies the registry to keep you from changing the settings that were changed above
    - it changes the shell executable so that any executable will run the virus file

- most are not a virus that cause damage to your system, they just jack with your registry and make your day rough

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    this is why you install an antivirus program and ignore ANYTHING ELSE that comes up. No website will ever tell you about a virus on your machine. it is all common sense.

From what I have seen, this virus likely does the following
    - removes all icons on the desktop
    - changes background to a screen shot of your desktop with the icons (very clever)
    - adds a box on the desktop graphic that says something about being infected
    - modifies the registry to keep you from changing the settings that were changed above
    - it changes the shell executable so that any executable will run the virus file

- most are not a virus that cause damage to your system, they just jack with your registry and make your day rough
    pretty much, except for the background changing.
    first thing to do is get a direct download link for a registry repair, which allows you to get your browser back. after that, just google it and go on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeping Computer
    XP Internet Security 2012 is a variant of the 2012 name-changing rogue program that changes its name randomly depending on the version of Windows it is installed on. This guide will cover the variant of the 2012 name changing rogue called XP Internet Security 2012. This rogue is promoted in two ways. The first is through the use of fake online antivirus scanners that state that your computer is infected and then prompt you to download a file that will install the infection. The other method are hacked web sites that attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in programs that you are running on your computer to install the infection without your knowledge or permission.

Also known by the following rogue names:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeping Computer
    Windows XP Rogue Name Windows Vista Rogue Name Windows 7 Rogue Name
    XP Antispyware 2012 Vista Antispyware 2012 Win 7 Antispyware 2012
    XP Antivirus 2012 Vista Antivirus 2012 Win 7 Antivirus 2012
    XP Security 2012 Vista Security 2012 Win 7 Security 2012
    XP Home Security 2012 Vista Home Security 2012 Win 7 Home Security 2012
    XP Internet Security 2012 Vista Internet Security 2012 Win 7 Internet Security 2012

A removal guide from Bleeping Computer can be found here.

This is a great forum for any computer problems, and are always helpful, so if you ever have a problem, you can always check them out.

Additional information that may be found on the page linked above is shown below, just as a quick reference

Associated Win 7 Antispyware 2012 & Vista Antivirus 2012 Windows Registry Information:

Associated Win 7 Antispyware 2012 & Vista Antivirus 2012 Files:

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    first thing to do is get a direct download link for a registry repair, which allows you to get your browser back. after that, just google it and go on from there.

Which registry repair are you describing, if I can ask?
    Last edited by Tezzeh; 21-Dec-2011 at 01:18.

Penguinhop

Just puttin this out for the world to see Cyber Defender also known as MyCleanPc, DoubleMySpeed and MaxMySpeed is F-ing Bull_ _ _ _. Basically you pay 30 dollars for a registry cleaner and a useless AV. Once I drop kicked that S_ _ T I scanned my computer with Eset smart security and it found 23 viruses... Now I am forever haunted by them and whenever I see a commercial for them I get a suspicious pain in my thigh( not rlly)...(just for affect).... BTW pardon my french :p I get very heated with companies that are a total scam yet somehow still manage to stay in business. Personally any company like: Kaspersky, Comodo, Avira, AVG, Norton, Webroot and so on are good companies. It's kinda hard to get a virus with one of these listed above unless you piss off an experienced hacker which the average computer user probably never encounters. Well I am done with my rant :p

P.S. as listed in comments above, stay away from AV that has the name of your operating system in is name :p

P.S.S. A bit off topic eh?

I use smart security and Nod32 to repair other people with Virus. Alot of times I can go into Regedit and delete any registry problems. Last computer I had to fix had 70+ Virus.

I have a proprietary EXE blocker that keeps those fake security programs from loading.
    Every EXE program gets a pop up that asks if i will allow it to load
    I then check its source before letting it load.

If i am not sure i can open it with my linux computer in windows VM mode and if its virus infected or a fake security program i can send i to a person i don't like. i have noticed the nigerians no longer send me there money scams any more since i started this. I may have wiped out there internet cafe big time.

But for those that want a EXE blocker i can not help you because the programmer that wrote it does not want it on the internet as then these bad sites would write a program around it.

He only uses it on computers at companies he works for and friends computers.
    Last edited by anned; 31-Dec-2011 at 10:07.

I actually just had it a week ago and we ended up having to reinstall Windows XP. I don't know how we got it but it wasn't fun.

littlepacifiergirl

Yes actually I had this virus infest both my mothers, sisters, and fathers computers. Each time I had to be the one who removed it which is incredibly annoying because it blocks all the anti-malware and anti-virus programs.

My god, these fucking things. They've been around, and there exist probably a couple thousand different rogue antivirus programs at this point. There was a long period of time when Deviantart had ads that would infect your PC with some of them immediately as you viewed them.

The earlier ones were almost harmless pranks removable by simple virus scans, but they've gotten malicious, and some will even go as far to fool you into buying it and steal your credit card information. I had to do a reinstall on my last PC because one of those bastards managed to infect a key part the registry and could not be removed with ease.

My suggestion? Stop it before it happens, install this: Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing