Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strep Throat

Default Strep Throat

Sorry I've not been around here the last several days. I've been rather occupied trying to get back to feeling decent again.

So, anyone here ever come down with this nasty bug? I recently have. It hit me really fast too. I got up Thursday morning and felt a little bit of a sore throat. I paid it no attention, as I've awaken with them before and been fine.

However, before that day was out I was feeling the 'typical flu' like symptoms. Felt tired, my muscles ached and I began running a low grade temp. The next morning my temp had gone from a low grade temp of 99 up to 102.4. Yep,,,time to go see a doctor.

I went to a local clinic and was seen by the doctor. She took a throat culture and had their lab analyze it. Came back as strep. I was written off work for the next 3 days and given an antibiotic and pain med for the sore throat. I was told I would be fine in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Later that night my temp went from 102.4 to 103.3. I felt miserable. My wife was such a blessing as she kept my glass of water full for me and cooked me chicken soup. I continued to run the temp of 103 until Sunday morning. I could tell the temp was breaking as I was drenched in sweat! I felt very dizzy too.

When I wasn't laying in bed I was laying on the couch covered up by a few blankets. I felt so miserable that I didn't want to do anything but sleep. I didn't want to play games on my phone, nor talk to anyone on the phone. I didn't even want diapers, LOL!

So, here I am Monday evening and feeling better. The soreness of the throat hasn't gone away, but the fever is gone and so is most of the dizziness.

So,,,who else has been knocked down with this or any other nasty little virus bug? What did you do get to feeling better?

Trust me on this one- CREAM SODA. I found it by accident when I had a terrible case of strep throat back in college, and was putting literally anything down my throat to see if it would help. I've given cans to a number of friends with the same problems since- I've never had anyone tell me it didn't help. It's like roto rooter for your throat, it'll clear it right out.

I am sorry you are ill, dlCherub. It's been many years since I was hit with a nasty cold or virus. When I was sick, I did as little as possible. Just stayed in bed and let it take it's course. I hope you recover very quickly. Take care, and get well again.

My sister used to get it all the time, but for some reason, even when we were living under the same roof, I never caught it. Maybe my getting about 25 ear infections as a kid was my penance for not getting strep.

All I remember is that she would eat her weight in cherry popsicles and my mom would give her lots of Motrin.

I hope you feel better soon It sounds miserable.

I hate having a sore throat, and strep is the worst. I feel for you dlCherub. I've had a cold all last week, one week before our big Christmas Cantata. Fortunately i improved and conducted, and sang a duet. I hate colds.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Trust me on this one- CREAM SODA. I found it by accident
    Hmm, I will give it a try. I do actually like cream soda too so it can't be that bad. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    All I remember is that she would eat her weight in cherry popsicles
    My wonderful wife got me a box of those too. I have eaten probably half the box by now. Those things really do sooth a sore throat that feel very irritated and hot. It has a nice cooling feel as you eat em.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the support that is shown on here. I guess ADISC members really DO care for each other, cool!

I used to get that with unpleasant frequency when I was younger (more than once is unpleasant frequency in my book). It would often coincide with ear problems. Horrible stuff! Glad I haven't had to deal with it for a long time now and I'm sorry for anyone else who gets stuck with it. Get well soon!

hopefully you were diapered the whole time, nothing makes me feel better than to be thickly diapered when I am sick

oh...believe me...i KNOW what your going through. i get strep about 1-2 times EVERY year. and it sucks. not sure why i get it so much....but i do. and i have to deal with it constantly and it is not fun.

I had strep in January. I lived in a three story building that had no windows (except the front) and very poor insulation so it was very cold. My room was on the second floor where we didn't have heating (silly me I know, but I didn't have to deal with the rest of my family.) Anyway I was feeling colder then usual and my throat hurt a little so I went downstairs to sleep of the couch and my mother asked if I was ok.

I told her I didn't feel well and was sleeping down there. A few hours latter I woke up (sorta I was in that in between state of asleep and awake) I was very hot and my throat was on fire so I turned on the fan to cool off. I started seeing and hearing stuff most likely because I was still half asleep and that kept me awake all night. I went to the doctor the next day and was told what I had. He gave my an antibiotic and I was back on my feet the next day. (it still sucked though i feel for you)