Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Online Piracy Act

Default Stop Online Piracy Act

So SOPA, what are your thoughts? Obviously this goes beyond piracy and is a major threat to the internet and our freedoms in general. I honestly don't think it is any threat to ADISC but it has the potential to be misused in the wrong hands.

It can shut down entire websites, censor content, and disrupt the free flow of information that the internet stands for. It is a threat to our freedom of speech and goes beyond the US boarders as the internet is an international system.

We can't let our governments take control of the internet. Our governments are often being corrupt by greedy politicians being lobbied by corporations with their own profitable agenda. Not to mention many of the politicians don't even know what they are talking about.

If you have 20 minutes there is an informative video on youtube that goes a bit more in depth with what I'm trying to get at.

The bill was said to be delayed till January but was rescheduled to go back into session on the 21st: article.

I hope it gets thrown out. However there was a list posted recently of the major supporters of the bill's "donations" from the movie/music industry. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes. All you can do is call your rep and tell them not to pass it. Or email them. Or if they are in town find them and tell them to stop it. However they are trying as hard as they can to push it through. If it does go through I hope there is riots and chaos in the streets. I am tired of these assholes taking away all of my freedoms.

Ultimately, laws like this will not (and likely cannot) do anything to reduce piracy. The only thing this'll do is get a bunch of people very angry by unnecessarily shutting down websites.

It totally can affect ADISC. All you need is enough pissed off crazies to complain, then the site will get delisted. If SOPA does get passed however, I predict an alternate DNS will be set up and the USA will lose it's grip on that particular monopoly.

Default Sopa / protect-ip

This post was originally posted in a separate thread, I missed this thread so I merged it in. So the writing style may be a bit different then a thread post and more like a first post of a thread.

If you think that because this is US politics the rest of the world is outside of this discussion, think again, the whole world will be effected by this. The whole world needs to make up their own mind on this.
    This next post is going to try and fail to be open minded: This has been rewritten at least 10 times so bear with me if I jump too much.

SOPA and PROTECT IP (PIPA) are two bills which are being looked at by both the house and congress. Both looking at the same thing just one a bit more radical then the other. The goal of the bills is to reduce piracy, which is a good thing. The problem with this bill is the way it does it, It gives the government the ability to DNS block (we'll come back to that later) any site that contains anything related to copyright infringement. Yes that includes links to sites that do it. Yes, that includes services like youtube, vimeo, any streaming site, but also photobucket, yfrog, facebook and even blogging sites could be targets (some people post articles of others). basically everywhere where users can post stuff... Bingo, that includes forums. It probably wont happen but realize that this does give the tools to do that. It is a cannonball to kill a fly.

Will small individual forums be attacked by this law, probably not. Not worth the time and effort of companies or the government. Yes I said companies, companies could sue sites for not moderating it's users enough. Companies however will go after upcoming businesses that might start get too big for their liking. It's such a huge cannonball it's easy to find something to sue for.
    How about large sites like youtube, again they'd probably not go as that'd create an outcry however they'd be completely controlled by the companies, because if they don't do what they're told they could very easily be sued...

Now back to the DNS block. DNS is a big registry telling a user where a specific site is. The common analogy being used is a phone book, if you have a site: adisc.org it'll give you it's phone number (IP address), the address needed to contact the site, however the proposal for the bill says that the govt will have the power to force ISPs which have most of the DNS servers to change certain records. Suddenly the site you want to find will redirect to something the gov't wants you to see rather then the site itself. this is totally ineffective as if you know the actual address you can type that in instead and still go there. Also by making these edits you're going directly against a ton of security set up to PREVENT people from doing just that. phishing sites that want to try to get your bank details for example. If your bank's URL would direct you to their site that'd be bad. because of that there are those security measures, some of them will have to be circumvented for this, making the web less safe.

To conclude, yes piracy should stop, no SOPA and PIPA are not the answers they create problems and are dangerous to the web and the world.

Some thigns to look at:

PROTECT IP Act Breaks the Internet
    WTF is SOPA ? aka The American Government trying to ruin the internet - YouTube
    Last edited by Martin; 18-Dec-2011 at 03:01.

This law makes me angry. Beyond legitimate websites potentially being shut down. Do you know why it makes me angry? Because with SOPA, the United States is essentially claiming jurisdiction of every computer in the world. And that's bullshit.

Explanation here. Michael Geist will put it better that I will ever be able to.

I don't care if the US wants to institute stupid copyright laws domesticly. I mean ya, it sucks, but surely services like YouTube and Google will be able to move some operations abroad and maintain a reasonable level of service to non-American users, right? Sorry, you're wrong. Because with SOPA the United States government would claim jurisdiction over:
    • Any domain name as domestic that it is registered by a DNR that is located in the United States , which means that any .com, .net, .org, .tv (Tuvalu's domain name), .edu, .biz, .name websites (among others) are considered American jurisdiction by SOPA, along with any domain name registered through an American company.
    • A domestic IP is defined as any IP registered in the United States. Problem? ARIN, which is located in the United States, is where every IP allocated not just in the US but also in Anguilla, Antartica, Antuiga and Barbuda, Barbados, The Bahamas, Bermuda, The British Virgin Islands, Canada, Dominica, Grenade, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Saint Kits and Nevis, Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. So if you live in any of those countries or if a server you own is located in any of those country the US government believes that SOPA applies to you and you can be prosecuted using that law. This means that the US would consider the Canadian government's website as a domestic US website. This is not acceptable. The fact that this is even something that is considered means that congress members are either stupid and don't realize what their bill implies or that they don't care about respecting other country's sovereignty. I'm not sure which is worse.
    • If by some stroke of luck your website is not considered to be under US jurisdiction but the US government decides to block it anyway, forcing Internet providers to block your site and search engines to stop linking to it, you must consent to the authority of US courts to be able to challenge the website being blocked.

I am pissed off by this. I am pissed off that a piece of legislation being seriously considered in the United States claims that they have jurisdiction over every single computer that is both located in my country and is connected to the Internet. Message to all Americans: if you want to f*** yourselves over with a stupid copyright law then be my guest, but for the love of god leave my fellow countrymen and I out of it. How dare your country claims jurisdiction over what is rightly ours? How dare those congress members? How dare they?

The very fact that this bill is being considered is something that I find deeply insulting and disturbing. We are a sovereign nation, don't claim sovereignty over us.

I'm always amused when the party that wants "less government" rams a whole lot of government up our asses. I love the internet because it's the last great frontier, a frontier for free speech and the exchange of ideas. If there's any one single factor which could bring democracy to countries like China and Iran, it's the net, because the people can genuinely see how the rest of the world lives.

Any form of censorship limits this exchange, and I'm opposed to it on these philosophical grounds. Not to pour salt on old wounds, but the British, in colonial America, tried to restrict the flow of free speech and ideas because it was considered treasonous. Then, free thinking minds had to meet in churches and the town markets. They exchanged ideas through the press and risked their lives for what we now take for granted. The price of freedom has been paid for in blood.

Pirating music, art and movies is wrong. As a writer and musician, I want to be paid for my work. But I would rather lose a few royalties than trust my government to be honest and allow the free flow of ideas, especially ideas they may not agree with. We've seen what has happened through the Freedom Act, innocent people being spirited away to Turkey and tortured, without a trial. Today, pirated Justin Beiber. Tomorrow, a dissident site shut down because they've exposed corrupt police or politicians, or they espouse gay marriages.

To be honest, I don't even think our congressmen even know what this bill they're considering will actually do. So, make a difference, write to them. Complain and show these people that they're creating the very thing almost all of them have said numerous times they've hated.

This is only the most recent in a string of attempts by congress to shackle the internet, it's predecessors didn't make the grade, and I have doubts that this one will either.
    For some reason I'm never suprised to see our government attempt to restrict people's liberties. This bill may get shot down, but it will only be a matter of time before they succeed. I've spent the last 15 years wondering why we the people are not rioting in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm always amused when the party that wants "less government" rams a whole lot of government up our asses.
    It's easier for Republicans to get away with that crap because people don't generally expect that from the party that claims to represent conservatism. Patriot Act, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I am pissed off by this. I am pissed off that a piece of legislation being seriously considered in the United States claims that they have jurisdiction over every single computer that is both located in my country and is connected to the Internet. Message to all Americans: if you want to f*** yourselves over with a stupid copyright law then be my guest, but for the love of god leave my fellow countrymen and I out of it. How dare your country claims jurisdiction over what is rightly ours? How dare those congress members? How dare they?

The very fact that this bill is being considered is something that I find deeply insulting and disturbing. We are a sovereign nation, don't claim sovereignty over us.
    Want to get even more pissed off ? Consider this: the American government already considers itself to have jurisdiction over the bank account of any Canadian citizen born in the United States. Nice, huh?

If it's any consolation, I've received responses from both of my Senators and my Representative that appear to have been written in direct response to comments I submitted to them individually. I think Alphacore has a good point: I suspect most members of Congress are not well versed or experienced with the internet or computers in general.