Thread: New Defense Bill

Default New Defense Bill

Three myths about the detention bill - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Honestly, I don't agree with any kind of indefinite detention. I don't see our Constitution as just laws for US citizens, I see it as an ideology that should be applied to anyone and everyone no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Three myths about the detention bill - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Honestly, I don't agree with any kind of indefinite detention. I don't see our Constitution as just laws for US citizens, I see it as an ideology that should be applied to anyone and everyone no matter what.
    I don't agree with indefinite detention either, the bill also says without trial or reason, but applying liberal ideology to everyone is not neccessarily a good idea as the two middle east wars have demonstrated

I agree, its a bit ridiculous to think any one can force their culture and ideology onto another culture and have it go smoothly and 100% accepted. However, when it comes to the detention of "enemy combatants" they should be given due process and the rights that international treaties have given to POWs. I know people say that they don't deserve those because they want to destroy our nation and way of life, but guess what, when we start going against the ideology that our nation has held so dear and promoted as what made our nation great, they ARE winning.

Paranarchist

The bill says that you can be detained without trial or reason if you are linked to al queda. I'm a tibetan buddhist 14 year old teen baby with aspergers syndrome. There is no way that will ever affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranarchist View Post
    The bill says that you can be detained without trial or reason if you are linked to al queda. I'm a tibetan buddhist 14 year old teen baby with aspergers syndrome. There is no way that will ever affect me.
    I wouldn't make that assumption, the US government is hardly known for being benign

Paranarchist

It won't be as bad as the civil war or the red scare. Plus, people would riot over my detainment. I'm too cute and innocent for people not to care about false and unjustified accusations towards me.

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

-Martin Niemöller - concerning Nazi Germany

In other words, if you don't defend others when their rights are infringed, no one will be left when yours are.

funseeker

This bill will affect everyone. Why do you suppose it passed. If you are American they can get you anytime and anyplace for no reason. Read the bill S1867.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranarchist View Post
    I'm a male. I'll probably never be paid less at a job because of my gender. Does that mean it's an issue I can write off?

funseeker

Obama signed the bill into law Saturday nite while on vacation in Hawaii. Like the 28,000 page Health Care bill I wonder if he read it. We know Deomcratic House Leader Nancy P said we have to pass it before we will know what is in it. Just wonderful to know the Dems are looking out for us.