Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If humanity was a single entity, what part of its body would you be?

Question If humanity was a single entity, what part of its body would you be?

I'm not going to explain why I thought of this because I do not want this to devolve into a theological debate. I would have put this in Mature Topics if I did. Suffice it to say, I have been thinking about my function in life. I thought it would be fun to equate my purpose with a particular cell in the human body. Basically you take the personality, motivations, drives and other characteristics of yourself and choose a specific cell that matches those characteristics.

For example, someone who is very protective of others but feels expendable at times would be a skin cell because the skin is the first line of defense for the body but individual cells flake off every second without you ever noticing.

Another example would be someone that likes to be in the center of things and has to keep things moving and is annoyed whenever anything goes stagnant. Also this person enjoys order with everything running at an even pace. This person would be a heart muscle cell.

For me, I have two possibilities. The first is a brain cell in the right temporo-parietal junction of the brain. That is believed by some scientists to be the moral center of the brain. This particular cell does not make any decisions or control any other part of the body but merely judges what is right and wrong and relays that to the other cells in the brain that do make decisions and control the body. This sums me up aptly. The other option that I am thinking of is a nerve ending on an ear drum. I am very receptive and I usually take what I've heard straight to the person who needs to hear it the most.

So with that lengthy introduction to this, which cell do you think you are? Remember, there are no inferior parts of the body. Each cell has a purpose and helps the whole body to live.(except cancer cells and I hope no one thinks they are that kind of cell)

(Woohoo, my 150th post was actually about something intellectual)

well, i would definitely think i am a braincell, but i would not be able to pinpoint where exactly i would be. i handel inputs, proces them, and output them. how i do it? in a verry complicatred manner only few people can understand. but if the output is good, great idea's are born.

I'd be a Schwann cell because I do so much for others but no one knows just how much I really do. I like it this way, the jobs still get done and I can make sure its done right and I don't have to deal with very many people afterwards.

P.S for those who don't know a Schwann cell covers the axon of a neuron.

LittleDrummerGirl

I'd probably be a cell that controls emotions. I'm basically a bubbling cauldron of the darn things anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyBenjamin View Post
    I'd be a Schwann cell because I do so much for others but no one knows just how much I really do. I like it this way, the jobs still get done and I can make sure its done right and I don't have to deal with very many people afterwards.

P.S for those who don't know a Schwann cell covers the axon of a neuron.
    Surely that would mean that projects get done faster when you are in the group?

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Surely that would mean that projects get done faster when you are in the group?
    Yeah most of the time. why?

Creeper

Default My choice

Brain (Frontal lobe) cell, for thinking

I'd totally be a big toe. It's important, does a lot to keep the body balanced & upright, it isn't thought about a whole ton, but you sure know it's there when you stub it, hurt it, or injure it in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerR View Post
    I'd totally be a big toe. It's important, does a lot to keep the body balanced & upright, it isn't thought about a whole ton, but you sure know it's there when you stub it, hurt it, or injure it in anyway.
    I like that

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyBenjamin View Post
    Yeah most of the time. why?
    Because that's more of an analogy for what a Schwann cell does, I assumed this is the gist of what you were saying.