Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Detentions...

Default Detentions...

I'm feeling in the mood for a harsh violent internet figh- I mean, mature and formal debate on something rather non-controversial subject.

Today, my younger sister had to stay after school because she was caught texting in the bathroom the other day. My mother wasn't too angry about it but did call her retarded (like she always does; my sister and I are both used to it).

According to her, in ASD they allow you to work on homework, read a book, study, or make use of the time in some other way. She said they even allowed her to read a magazine that she brought from home. And afterwords, how did she get home? She took the activity bus of course, the bus intended to take students who play sports or who are in clubs home afterwords, but is also, for some god knows what reason, is being used to also take home the misbehaving assholes in ASD.

My question is, how the hell is this punishment if they pat their candy asses the whole way through it? I mean, really. Detention should be as miserable for students as they can legally get it. In my opinion, students should be forced to do nothing but stare at their desk for 2 hours straight. No reading magazines/books, no getting work done, make it a session where precious time is wasted.

Also make it harder for the parents. Don't allow the ASD assholes to ride the activity bus home, make it to where their parents have to stop what they are doing so they can come and pick up their misbehaving child, making them more angry, thus punishing the problem student even more.

I know I'm going to get some harsh disagreement my many middle/high school students on this topic, but there's a great way to avoid any of this: stay the hell out of trouble.

Anyway, discuss...

In my school, you either had to do homework or be quiet. No reading non-school material, no sleeping, no talking, no nothing. Remember that for the students typically getting detention, doing homework is a punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Remember that for the students typically getting detention, doing homework is a punishment.
    But the homework still has to be done anyway. By doing homework, you are making use of your time.

Detention should be a 100% waste of time. And a lot harsher in terms of treatment: cutting off A/C in summertime and turning on heaters/cutting off heat in winter and leaving the windows open; also no looking up or around, no free hand movements, feet must stay in same spot for two hours, essentially dictating what can and can't be done with the body; maybe even strap the students down but I doubt that would be legal.

Start with the parents..

If I got a detention.. I didn't care to much what my school was gonna do.. what I dreaded was going home and having to get my parents to sign the form they gave us...

Not that my parents were violent maniacs who'd beat me senseless or anything.. but I was definitely going to get a stern talking too.. probably lose some privileges for a while.. and as lame as it sounds, being told that they were disappointed in me and having them be kind of grumpy around me for a few days actually meant something.

And it worked! I rarely got in trouble (can't save never.. but usually over minor stuff) and still have a great relationship with my mother (and had one with my late father).

Now most parents take the kids side.. their little angle couldn't possible have gotten such a bad grade, the teacher must be dropping the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by IantheFox View Post
    But the homework still has to be done anyway. By doing homework, you are making use of your time.

Detention should be a 100% waste of time. And a lot harsher in terms of treatment: cutting off A/C in summertime and turning on heaters/cutting off heat in winter and leaving the windows open; also no looking up or around, no free hand movements, feet must stay in same spot for two hours, essentially dictating what can and can't be done with the body; maybe even strap the students down but I doubt that would be legal.
    Yeah they do that shit in Guantanamo Bay to terrorists, why not do it to kids. I'm sorry dude but that's fucking stupid, open windows in winter so the kids will freeze and physically restrain them, that violates
    the geneva convention let alone normal morals and law. I am going to assume that you are joking somewhat but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhailivannovich View Post
    Yeah they do that shit in Guantanamo Bay to terrorists, why not do it to kids. I'm sorry dude but that's fucking stupid, open windows in winter so the kids will freeze and physically restrain them, that violates
    the geneva convention let alone normal morals and law. I am going to assume that you are joking somewhat but I could be wrong
    You took this way out of context. I didn't say anything about freezing kids to death, just making the conditions more uncomfortable.

You took this way out of context. I didn't say anything about freezing kids to death, just making the conditions more uncomfortable.
    Cutting off heating in winter and opening windows, that's worse than uncomfortable that's potentially dangerous if you stick people in that room for two hours without moving. I'm all for discipline but what your suggesting is a little extreme

A more realistic (but just as effective middle ground) is pointless work.

Writing lines used to be a staple of detention. Or copying pages from a text book. Just like in Victorians prisons where they'd make prisoners spend their day turning a crank for no other purpose than to give them something boring and tedious to do.

Ha, let's engorge them with water, force them to run 20 laps around the track, then shackle 'em at the wrists and ankles and send them down to the quarry with pickaxes, and we could have like a slavemaster type guy cracking a bullwhip, cmon kids your steed awaits !! Rofl.

Thing is though, it always seemed to me that the people running the ASD / Saturday school didn't want to be there any more than the kids did. Hell it was probably as taxing for them as it was for us.

IDK, I guess I can't argue with your basic premise here, but I always thought detention outside of regular school hours was already a waste of time due to the fact that I was still at the school.
    Last edited by plenka; 16-Dec-2011 at 03:56.

i agree that it should be more of a punishment, but at my school there's sort of an order to the level of punishment. 1st level = written up(a note is sent home, nothing else); 2nd = detention (sit in this room, supposedly no sleeping or talking, but the teachers always just let you do anything, unless they don't like you); 3rd = ASA or alternative school assignment- sit in this room the entire school day (all 7 hours) , very strict. can't even do work unless you have a note from a teacher; 4th = suspension- 1, 3, 5, 9 days depending on the offense. 9 days comes with a recommendation for expulsion.

so while they should probably be stricter, it sounds like your little sister wasn't doing anything extremely bad. so, they just take 2 hours of her time.
    i don't see anything wrong with the punishment she got - plus, you could possibly have a bias against her, since she's your younger sibling.

also, the cutting the ac off in summer and heat off in winter is illegal. it has to be kept within a certain range of temperatures, by law.