Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I watched The Pianist.

Default So, I watched The Pianist.

Anddd I'm scarred for life.

It's basically an account of a Polish musician who had to endure the horrors of the Holocaust in his hometown of Warsaw, and his story and how he managed to survive. There are no words to describe how utterly sad it is.

There's something about murdering innocent people for reasons of blind hate that really gets me quite sad and vengeful. The fact that they showed this happening in person was definitely no better. I know it's computer graphics and stuff like that, but it looked so real...

Extremely, extremely strong movie. But I would recommend it nonetheless.

It's just so sad...I'm never, ever making anymore Jewish jokes from here on out, or jokes about the Holocaust. If I ever get a good enough band going, I'm probably going to write a tribute song to those who suffered.

P.S., I put this in the Mature section since this movie has to do with the Holocaust in case there's any confusion about that..

I also saw this movie on STARZ. I like it too but it was very dark movie, like "Schindler's List". I believe that the movie received several Academy Awards, including Best Actor and Best Director.

I cannot understand why, almost 70 years after these horrific events of WWII, that there are those people who still dispute that the Holocaust ever happened, when there are still many survivors and actual documentation of that horror. It just goes to prove that if we don't learn from the mistakes of history that we are fated to repeat this same mistakes again.

Default do know the Jews have been at the heel of society long before the Holocaust, right? We've been using those guys a slaves/scapegoats/general punching bags since the dawn of time.

The Pianist is a great movie. After visiting Auschwitz myself, the horror of the Holocaust truly came home to me. Our tour group was silent for the 3 hour bus ride that followed.

I recommend reading the original book. You'll be surprised how closely the film followed to Szpilman's original words.

A few summers back, I spent 10 days in Poland, visiting Auschwitz, Majdanek, remnants of the Warsaw ghetto, and some abandoned synagogues. Seeing all these things in person really trumps any book, film, or museum in furthering your knowledge of the Holocaust.

It's a great movie. I watched it again for the first time in a few years recently and it still made me cry. Powerful without being manipulative (unlike Schindler's List, but Spielberg and subtlety are like oil and water), I could feel the genuineness of the film from start to finish. Also found it refreshing to see that the Germans weren't being treated as one-note nazis from start to finish.

Read the book and rent the movie. It is one of my favorite movies as the music is so inspirational.

Being a Pole myself I've studied this topic a bit deeper in highschool. I believe the movie as well as some books about these dark times are still obligatory in every public highschool in my country, which is a good thing. I'm kindly surprised and gratefull for your thoughtfulness.

I know that this movie was released long ago but is definitely recommended. I am not naive; I do understand that there have been numerous accounts of genocide and ethnic cleansing throughout the world and history, but I feel that knowledge and understanding of the atrocities of this horrific era may reduce or prevent this kind of racial/religious hatred from occurring again.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana

Remember, the U.S. had concentration camps for U.S. citizens of both Japanese and German descent during WWII. Our euphemism was "internment or relocation" camps. Although we did not kill them outright, we did deprive them of U.S. Constitutionally guaranteed liberty. Those who survived their (IMHO illegal) federally mandated incarceration/internment/imprisonment returned with a loss of all property and wealth. Just as an example, many of the farms in Washington, Oregon and California prior to WWII were owned by U.S. Citizens of Japanese descent. Those families lost their farms (tens of thousands of acres) and they were, for the most part, absconded by predominantly white American businessmen/farmers.

To add to your list of must see Holocaust films based on true eyewitness accounts, I would also recommend one of the darkest movies regarding Germany's Auschwitz concentration camp: The Grey Zone. An extremely disturbing story regarding the Auschwitz concentration camp's Jewish Sonderkommando XII.

This movie was very disturbing and I have only watched it twice.
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 30-Dec-2011 at 21:06.

I think that movie is absolutely amazing... In a sad and dark way I really love it. Being from Poland I have had the opportunity to visit Auschwitz and Birkenau and it really is frightening. Standing by a small pool which contains the ashes of thousands of people is really creepy. I do recommend visiting the area to anyone who has the chance to go there but there are things that will really make you cringe. I can generally keep a straight face and not show fear, nervousness, or even fright but there is just something about that place. The worst IMO, is Birkenau because everything there is kept intact and left the way it was. Really goes to show how callous human beings can become. There are pictures on display (which I am sure you could find online) of naked, starving people where you can see their bones being forced to march while the officers stand there laughing. I find it hard to imagine how one could find humor at the sight of poor people like that. One of my favorite (or most memorable, I should say since favorite has positive connotations) things at Auschwitz, are the letters. One in particular stood out for me. If you could read in Polish and have visited the place, you will know which one I am talking about. It was written by a Jewish man writing to his wife and telling her that the next day he is going to be put to death by firing squad and that by the time she gets it he will have long been gone. What really struck me was the way it was written... the man had absolutely no fear and was calmly accepting of his fate and the fact that he would leave behind his family. I would like to think that being religious I do not have a fear of death but who knows how I would act if it came to it. If I had a wife and kids I don't think I would be able to bear the thought of not seeing the kids grow up or grow old with my wife and have grandkids and share stories. Anyway, I am beginning to rant as I have a tendency to do.