Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first project! cloth diaper go!

kazekitty

Default first project! cloth diaper go!

so after trying to find a way to buy some cloth diapers online and and getting them discreetly shipped to me I decided to make my.own. no sewing machine so its going a little slow.
    its light violet flannel with 4 layers of terry toweling soaked layers. after its done I plan on cutting up some of the terry in case it not thick enough.
    ill post some pics when its finished.

Completely hand sewn? You're brave there, I know just how long hand sewing takes and am thankful to have a machine so making my cloth diapers doesn't take me forever.

By the way, you are going to likely want far more than just 4 layers for a soaker! Otherwise you'll leak through that in next to no time if you actually completely pee in it.

I once tried to hand sew myself a diaper. It didn't turn out well......
    I resolved to wait till i had a machine to try again.
    It cost me $180 and it was worth every cent.
    You should consider saving up for one yourself.
    Plus you can make AB clothes as well.

If you haven't already you should check out the article here on adisc about making cloth diapers.

I picked up a sewing machine and have made a couple pocket cloth diapers (cover & inner fabric sewn together with a pocket opening for a soaker layer to be stuffed into). So far they have turned out pretty nice. Sewing with PUL can be a bit of a pain, but if I can manage it with very little previous sewing experience, anyone can.

Note - you can get a machine capable of everything required for $70-$80. It won't be anything special, but it will do the job. I spent $150 on a computerized machine to get the ability to do more complex projects as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhawk View Post
    I picked up a sewing machine and have made a couple pocket cloth diapers (cover & inner fabric sewn together with a pocket opening for a soaker layer to be stuffed into). So far they have turned out pretty nice. Sewing with PUL can be a bit of a pain, but if I can manage it with very little previous sewing experience, anyone can.

Note - you can get a machine capable of everything required for $70-$80. It won't be anything special, but it will do the job. I spent $150 on a computerized machine to get the ability to do more complex projects as well.
    oh muh gosh! we talked more about other stuff an didn't ever get much around diaper talk - I didn't know you sew! Shweeeet! *grins thinkin now he has a diapy sewin partner now!* Do you have a serger or at least 4" embroiderer? That's what I been savin up for before doin anymore projects

I used to hand sew 2 of my little sisters diapers into one that would fit me. Took a while but it was well worth it back then

Quote Originally Posted by kitsiulla View Post
    oh muh gosh! we talked more about other stuff an didn't ever get much around diaper talk - I didn't know you sew! Shweeeet! *grins thinkin now he has a diapy sewin partner now!* Do you have a serger or at least 4" embroiderer? That's what I been savin up for before doin anymore projects
    No serger or embroidery machine, just a regular computerized sewing machine. It can do overcasting type stitches that have a similar look to an overlock serge though. I don't really plan on doing enough sewing to need a serger, at least not at this point....

kazekitty

I do intend on getting a sewing machine so I can do more cloth diapers as well as other projects such as some footies designed as my fursona. also because I wasn't able to finish sewing the diaper by hand, I ran outta time and can only work on it while at my moms place every other weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhawk View Post
    Actually, you can get a machine with everything required for $50 if you know what you are looking for. See my article in my signature line - it has some more details about this.