Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress cover suggestions?

Default Mattress cover suggestions?

Well, I'm starting to think about getting some new bedding, since what I have now is several years old and beginning to wear out. For the first time, I have the option of going with the "little" look, so that's what I'm doing!

Blankets and pillow cases are easy enough, those are a regular supermarket item. The one component I'm unsure about is a waterproof mattress cover. Previously, I've used covers that went on like fitted sheets and just had a thin, plastic top (which didn't accomplish much, really), and polyester mattress pads that give an extra inch or two of "fluff" on top of the mattress itself.

What I really want, though, is something that makes a little noise! Something that makes its presence known with a noticeable "crumple" whenever I move around. I'm just not sure exactly what I should look for, or where.

Would a vinyl cover, like the ones Fetware sells, be a good choice? Anyone have any other specific recommendations?

Try your nearest Wal-Mart they have them there and they are a lot cheaper than Fetware!!!!!!!

Nope, you want the real deal, go to fetware, plastic-pants, etc and get a proper one. They are waaaaay better than the crappy things you get at shops now, that appear to be made out of some kind of crappy shower curtain nylon.

If you're from the UK try Argos (do they have Argos in other countries? Seriously, I don't know) - products that work, good prices, the 2 Argos stores near me nearly always knock down the prices when I shop there.

My wife and I used a commercial (store bought) vinyl padded mattress topper when we had a queen mattress. It held up pretty well (Washed and stored now until we set up the queen bed in the spare bedroom). Due to cost ($90+), we have not added a full mattress topper to our king bed. I have acquired about 30 reusable, washable waterproof chux pads over the last 10 years, so we now use them exclusively.

We use nine reusable, washable waterproof chux pads overlapped to protect our regular bedding and sheets when required topped with a flannel flat sheet to increase comfort and absorbancy. We can then launder the top sheet and the individual wet chux pads as needed and replace them with freshly laundered chux pads. If I am wearing snuggers (diapers and plastic pants) for the night. I only need to cover my side of the king bed with these and folded flannel sheets.

I do not like to have to change the regular bedding daily to launder. Having the ritual of covering the bedding we want to protect makes me feel little and in need of infantile precautions.

This system is not completely fool-proof. There have been times that I have so flooded out the bed that it goes beyond the bounds of the chux pads. Fortunately, our king heated mattress pad is also waterproof and we have prevented damage to the mattress, (although laundering the heated mattress pad is a pain in the arse and it shortens the life of the expensive pad).

Good luck in finding your solution.

Bed, Bath & Beyond plastic sheets are like $12. They are crinkly and noisy (I had to talk my gf into letting me use one), but they do protect your mattress, not only from stains but from mites etc. I think that even if I wasn't into wearing diapers and peeing in the bed, I would like to have one on my expensive mattress just to protect it from incidentals.

Thanks for the input thus far!

I went ahead and ordered a couple of vinyl covers I found on Amazon this morning. One was listed as 3 gauge, the other as 6 gauge. From the reviews, it looks like the 6 gauge is significantly more durable, yet quieter than the thinner ones. They both cost the same - $4.50 + shipping - so we'll see how they work out when they arrive!

I am, of course, still open to suggestions.

WarrenW

I have 1 that I got from Wal-mart. It is not expensive, but isn't the best. It has an obvious crackly sound that is cool and goes good with my plastic pants.

I am from the UK. I went to John Lewis to get mine.They cost somewhere between 20-40 pounds each depending on the size you would like. The top is a terry towelling finish and a waterproof cover underneath. The whole thing as sides that stretch right around the the mattress much like the fitted sheet. I can't comment on the noise factor as i have a 4.5 tog duvet on top of the protector, the fitted sheet then covers everything. I would never go to bed without having it on just in case of little accidents which do happen from time to time. The actual cost of a good protector is well worth the expense, compared to a new mattress spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I am from the UK. I went to John Lewis to get mine.They cost somewhere between 20-40 pounds each depending on the size you would like. The top is a terry towelling finish and a waterproof cover underneath. The whole thing as sides that stretch right around the the mattress much like the fitted sheet. I can't comment on the noise factor as i have a 4.5 tog duvet on top of the protector, the fitted sheet then covers everything. I would never go to bed without having it on just in case of little accidents which do happen from time to time. The actual cost of a good protector is well worth the expense, compared to a new mattress spoiled.
    I got mine from Argos for around 10 I think. It's practically indestructible and stretches nicely over the bed. I've got my regular sheet over the top of it