Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Court: Videotaping police a First Amendment right

Default Federal Court: Videotaping police a First Amendment right

Federal Court Rules Videotaping Police Is A First Amendment Right | PFPM

There are laws that protect citizens from being recorded without their consent, and that's great, but law enforcement should be exempt when on duty or when ever they present themselves as law enforcement officers for the purpose of their duty. Video/audio recording has become a checks and balances for the work they do and as public servants paid by tax payers dollars, the tax payers have a right to monitor the job they do; so long as they do not truly obstruct the work the law enforcement officer is trying to do.

LEO's are people too. Some are great folks and many more are scum sucking bottom feeders who subsist upon the power they derive from the badge,
    so I support this ruling.

I agree that on-duty officers should be able to be photographed and/or video tapped (so long at their job is not impaired by the photographer).

I remember seeing a video clip a long time ago about some people that were fed up with the police speeding around their city (when not responding to an emergency). They were equipped with a radar, police scanner and a video camera. They videoed this one cop and even clocked him as he was speeding (the scanner indicated there was nothing going on for hi m to be going so fast). The cop later pulled the guys over and told them to stop what they were doing.

Let me first say that, I know that cops are under an very intense magnifying glass when they are on-duty. But since they are "LAW ENFORCEMENT" officers, I don't think that gives them the right to break the law (including speeding) when they are on-duty. Because then they are breaking the very law(s) they are supposed to be enforcing.

To bring this a step closer to home; I did a ride-along with the local police department in the city I recently moved to. The offer drove well in excess of the 'marginal 5 over' almost all the time I rode with him. In the whole 8 hours I was doing the ride along, there was only one time we went light and sirens, and that was to respond to a bar fight.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for officers. My brother is a police officer and I gave serious contemplation to going into it myself, but I still support a citizen's right to video tape them. It can help get the bad ones off the job and give an otherwise good officer pause before crossing the line.

This ruling is a good start. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more recording of officers' activities, and I'd like to see some police equivalent to what happens to abusive and excessively bad lawyers (being disbarred). Given that police have the power to literally ruin someone's life or take someone's life, they should be under the strictest scrutiny and requirements that society can put forward. We need to seriously scale back this militarization of the police as well as police use of SWAT teams, and we need to seriously punish police that abuse their power with felony prison time. As an example, the fucking pigs that used gallons of weapons-grade pepper spray on a group of unarmed, non-dangerous, non-threatening protesters should be rotting in prison for the next 15 years or so. Nothing they did was legitimate in the exercise of their duty. They were being pure fuckers drunk on and abusing their power, nothing less. Same for the sick fucks that shoot people and get off with an "internal affairs investigation" that *shock* finds no improper conduct of their own officer.

If the police forces would start cracking down on this shit internally, they'd make their jobs a whole lot easier, too. Right now, I'm going to be completely honest. I'm college educated, middle class, a home owner, and the worst thing on my record is a traffic ticket. Yet, I don't trust the police any further than I could throw them, and I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to help them. Maybe if they cracked down on some of that shit within their own departments and at least tried to get the bad cops out of the force or disciplined, I might have more respect for the cops, but as far as I'm concerned, the good ones are just as bad as the bad ones because they TOLERATE and CONDONE the bad behaviour of their peers.

So yeah, fuck the police, and videotape away. It's the only thing standing between us and their abuse.

yeah.. I'm not a happy camper in relation to the police... I've had a run in with one who jumped the light, not running code, and Tboned me.. this made a complete mess in every sense of the word, I was charged with reckless driving!!???!!! which I of course had to fight, and won, thanx to a half dozen witnesses.. but it cost me a hell of alot of time and money which I didn't have to spend.. a mess with the insurance companies (the PD insurance refused to pay for years) the only thing I can say is that that selfsame cop got himself involved, and busted in an illegal off duty shooting 3 months later at a night club in another county right in front of my house..
    Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

There was another cop that had this nasty habit of using the factory I worked in as his own personal dragstrip. never mind that it is a 24/7 operation and smacked one of my co workers heavy forklifts coming around the corner at 70 MPH in a warehouse at 2am.. needles to say, the cop didn't live to be prosecuted.

then there was the cop I knew personally.. who got busted for the large arsenal of fully automatic weapons in his house.

can I also mention the very corrupt Framingham MA PD who busted my brother for a B&E where no such thing even closely occurred, then played court games for a year afterwards..

No.. I hate cops.. I have always generally abided by the law, never had been arrested or jailed, and never been charged with anything above a traffic violation (see above) but, not once, have I had an encounter with an honest cop.

I'm sure there are a lot of police that are grateful for video tapes. it protects them as well, from false prosecution. As one who teaches, I know that the general public likes to make teachers out as incompetent idiots. It seems we get the worse criticism from those who have never taught, and have no idea how difficult it is. I'm sure it's the same for the police. In Lynchburg, starting salaries for police officers is less than $30,000 a year, yet they put their life on the line every time they go out.

We have video cameras all throughout our school, most of them in the halls, and the library. Should a fight ensue, it's often in the halls and the tapes capture it. We as teachers, are taught to wrap around the kid, but never hit them, nor defend yourself if he hits you. The camera sees all. As a result, I try to never be in the hall when classes change. The kids have all the power, and I don't intend to be some hot headed kid's punching bag. I also won't put myself in a position where I lose everything in a lawsuit because some kid hits me and I drop him. I'm sure the police feel this pressure.

Have I been the victim of dishonest police? Most definitely, and it happened in Kent Ohio shortly after the shootings. I was actually robbed by two cops. There are bad cops, and the force has a responsibility to weed them out, and if necessary, put them in jail. But in every other case, I have been treated fairly by the cops who were busting me for speeding....sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeL0v35 View Post
    Seriously, corruption needs to be documented.
    Sorry, only tangentially related, but I noticed your location, and I immediately linked your comment to your former governor that's just been sentenced to 14 years in prison. I think that it further illustrates what several others and I have been saying: this stuff absolutely needs to be documented and prosecute, whether it's the police or the governor. If you're acting in an official capacity, you need to act to the highest standards.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Sorry, only tangentially related, but I noticed your location, and I immediately linked your comment to your former governor that's just been sentenced to 14 years in prison. I think that it further illustrates what several others and I have been saying: this stuff absolutely needs to be documented and prosecute, whether it's the police or the governor. If you're acting in an official capacity, you need to act to the highest standards.
    We're on a streak. His predecessor is still in prison, and his successor shouldn't be too far behind.