Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combination of a catheter with a diaper

kmeerman

Default combination of a catheter with a diaper

I'm in hospital now for a surgery, can go home tomorrow but have to use a catheder for 3 more days (not to infect the wounds in my urethra) they suggested me to wear a bag that you can fit around the legs, but is it also possible to use a diaper instead? This is for my own convience as I would think a bag is more visible then a diaper? Are there (medical/practical) reasons not to do it in such a way?

Quote Originally Posted by kmeerman View Post
    I'm in hospital now for a surgery, can go home tomorrow but have to use a catheder for 3 more days (not to infect the wounds in my urethra) they suggested me to wear a bag that you can fit around the legs, but is it also possible to use a diaper instead? This is for my own convience as I would think a bag is more visible then a diaper? Are there (medical/practical) reasons not to do it in such a way?
    Ask your doctor - they know your situation, whereas people here do not.

I did it for 7 days. No problems.
    Make sure you don't get any feces in the erea.
    You have to avoid taking bath. Showers are fine. Wash the erea carefully with water and soap. Dry carefully.

Make sure the cath is rolled in a way so you don't sit on it or have it in a knot.

acorn

A catheter and bag form what is called a closed loop system, to open the system by doing away with the bag will possibly increase your chances of an infection.

I had a catheter and a bag for two weeks, and had no problems. Even if it is more visible then padding, if someone says something say you just had surgery. That ought to shut them right up.

If you still plan on using diapers instead, like HogansHeroes said, consult your doctor, he would know best, even if there is an MD that answers on here, they don't actually know your conditon.

Are you asking about using a cath and a diaper at the same time? If you leave a foley cath in with out it being hooked up to a bag in a closed loop set up you are asking for a ton of issues. Its basically letting anything right into your body via your bladder. I.E air which may have a virus, or bacteria. Catheters are not meant to be left in and "open". They have straight catheters for intermittent cathing, meaning once you drain your bladder you take it out. But a Foley cath used with a bag, is held in place with a small balloon at the end, not something that would be fun getting pulled out, let alone getting sucked inside. But ask your doctor before you leave please.

I had to cath myself for about a month. I would sit on the toilet, lube the tube and thread it up. The urine I would direct back into the toilet. It was most unpleasant. There were sanitary procedures which I had to follow so I would not get an infection. Leaving an open catheter and letting it drain into a diaper sounds like asking for infectious trouble. I would not do it.

Yes leaving a Foley in a position where it is "open" is risking Multiple infections from UTI's to Kidney infections. Any doctor that is worth a grain of salt will tell you that the closed system is the safest practice specially after having surgery.

Granted some people may leave a foley catheter open and not get an infection but it is a game of Russian roulette. I would not suggest doing this as you are going to have a weakened immune system from the surgery to begin with, Why add fuel to the fire?

(not to infect the wounds in my urethra)
    If I am reading this correct, you are needing your urethra to heal? If this is the case, I would not recommend using a diaper along with the catheter. This will could allow for infections. A leg bag can be hid just as well as a diaper and at this time would be the safest thing for you to do.

If you go with a condom cath/bag then I would suggest making sure the skin is clean and well dried first. Then when putting it on, make sure you don't have a single air pocket (open wrinkle) or it will almost def cause you a leaking problem. When the 'adhesive' is set fully on the skin then you won't have leakage issues.