Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I Still..."

Default "I Still..."

When people say "I still" do something, I find it annoying because I see no reason for them to say that. It seems like a defense term to me.

For example: I still watch spongebob or I still say potty or I still call my mom mommy.

What is the purpose of saying "I still"? If it's something you enjoy doing then why say "I still"? Is it just a way of making it less embarrasing or something?

What do you think about this?

And one more thing. What are your favorite cartoons? Mine are; Phineas and Ferb,The amazing world of gumball, Adventure Time, The regular show, and MAD

Hmm... "Still" refers to from one point in time to right now, so why does that upset you? No offense, but I don't see the big deal.

Whether something is ok or needs justification I don't think is the intention for such statements.

There are social norms, especially related to our behavior in contrast to our age. The "I still" is a natural linguistic superlative when we are talking about something we ourselves recognize as in violation of expectations.

It's like saying "I actually don't like taco pizza". People would expect me to like taco pizza because I love tacos and I love pizza and my friends would expect me to thus like a taco pizza. Me not liking a taco pizza is out of expectations, so the "actually" worms its way there. It's not necessary.. I could roboticly state "I DO NOT ENJOY TACO PIZZA" .. but I'm not a robot ;p

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
    Hmm... "Still" refers to from one point in time to right now, so why does that upset you? No offense, but I don't see the big deal.
    Its not upsetting to me its annoying because the way they say it is in a way that sounds like they are trying to defend themselves. Not like they are referring to a point of time, more like they are saying "hey dont judge me..i still watch cartoons"

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Whether something is ok or needs justification I don't think is the intention for such statements.

There are social norms, especially related to our behavior in contrast to our age. The "I still" is a natural linguistic superlative when we are talking about something we ourselves recognize as in violation of expectations.

It's like saying "I actually don't like taco pizza". People would expect me to like taco pizza because I love tacos and I love pizza and my friends would expect me to thus like a taco pizza. Me not liking a taco pizza is out of expectations, so the "actually" worms its way there. It's not necessary.. I could roboticly state "I DO NOT ENJOY TACO PIZZA" .. but I'm not a robot ;p
    Yeah I had a feeling that it was something like them feeling guilty about it because of social norms.. good point

Random: superlative is the wrong word there.. but I can't seem to edit my post (I'm on an older browser right now)... may the great grammar gods forgive me

Butterfly Mage

I think the phrase "I still" is a subconscious admission that the person in question would like to be rid of the habit in question. For example, if someone really likes watching Spongebob, he/she would say "I enjoy watching Spongebob". If a person likes Spongebob but doesn't like liking it, he/she might say "I still watch Spongebob".

I get what your coming from it's not in the wording but in the way that they feel that they are doing something that they should have stopped doing. Its natural not to want to be judged or to have to feel ashamed of things that you may have no control over.

Also I'm a huge Winnie the pooh fan, the old thunder cats, and captain planet.

I see your point but what would you prefer they say?

Or maybe they are content with the fact that they do it even if it isn't age appropriate. I say that I still play Pokemon because I have not stopped, I'm not being defensive but rather pointing out how even though most people my age don't play it anymore I have continued to do so. If anything I'd say I think the opposite to you on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Or maybe they are content with the fact that they do it even if it isn't age appropriate. I say that I still play Pokemon because I have not stopped, I'm not being defensive but rather pointing out how even though most people my age don't play it anymore I have continued to do so. If anything I'd say I think the opposite to you on the matter.
    I'm in agreement here, I mostly use it purely to indicate how time is involved. There is a difference for example in saying "I play pokemon" which says that you currently do, and "I still play pokemon" which says that you currently do and have done so for quite a while previously.
    It tends to be used for things that are considered childish or no longer the norm, but that is a logical consequence of a word that implies previous activity in something. If you only started something a few months ago, you are less likely to use "still" when you refer to doing it than if you started it ages ago. Things you started ages ago (i.e. when you were a child) are more likely to be things you're expected to have stopped, and hence the impression that people use it to refer to things they should have stopped arises.