Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left-handed Reactions

Default Left-handed Reactions

I'm left handed (and subsequently can't do anything right (sorry for the bad pun ))

I've noticed something that happens with disturbing frequency. People upon noticing I'm left handed will respond with "your left handed! Ooooh ::knowing smile::"

What is being left handed supposed to imply about a person?

has anyone else encountered this?

a theory is that left handed people use there right side of there brain more and vice versa for right handed people.

Quote Originally Posted by cavemans View Post
    a theory is that left handed people use there right side of there brain more and vice versa for right handed people.
    For this reason , southpaws are regarded as more artistic or intuitive.

Years ago, I read somewhere that 10% of the overall population are left-handed, but 20% of those in law enforcement are left-handed. So that's what I always think of.

Im a lefty ^^ we're supposed to be a very creative bunch of people. Im a musician and id say i channel my creative energy through that ^w^

I get the "Oh, you're a lefty!" thing from store clerks all the time when I go to sign for stuff. People who work in customer service become conditioned to pounce on the first socially-safe personal observation they make as a way to "break the ice." The only way to avoid this is to make it impossible for them to notice something about your person that would be safe to discuss (further discussion of this is not safe).

Yeah,I get that a lot too ^^; (yay for being left handed). It's just feels like people know more about you? I've had it used as a conversation starter and just when I get to know people they're like "hey I'm lefty too!"
    however to put it in perspective, I had a math class when I was in middle school and we were learning fractions and stuff. So the teacher was like "okay,right hands raise your hand" and all the right handed people rose their hands and she wrote down the number,19. then she was like "left hand people raise your hands." and I was the only one that rose my hand xD
    So not a lot of us.

The one cool thing I have heard someone say was when I was at the art museum a few weeks ago, I had to sign in to a guard to use my phone to take pictures and he smiled and was like "you know,all the people who have signed this have all been left handed!" And it just kinda blew my mind

Anyway,people share same experiences when they're left handed. I had an old co-worker who was over the moon about finding out I was left handed because he was too! And for him it was having someone to talk about how hard it is to write in a normal notebook because he had to write sideways.

So it's just supposed to imply that we're more artistic and stuff, but since it's not often (I guess?) that people find tons of left handed people it makes us special.

Historically, being left handed was considered evil (the word "Sinister" originally described left-handed people). Up until reasonably recently lefty-kids were frequently forced to use their right hands at school..

these days it just makes you special

(as a right-y, being unspecial makes me cry :P)

I've heard the artistic explanation too. I don't know if there's really anything to it though.

yeah and notebooks are a pain everything gets smudged. I never had a problem using right handed scissors though (which is kind of a shame considering they actually make left handed ones)

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by happysnaps View Post
    Historically, being left handed was considered evil (the word "Sinister" originally described left-handed people).
    Sinister also referred to the left half of an emblem in a coat-of-arms or a crest.

Quote Originally Posted by cavemans View Post
    The Logical Left and the Creative Right - Fall 2011 Introductory Psychology Section 22 i think that this theory has been disproved.

anyway, i'm right handed, but i'm not really a person who much more than notices when people are left-handed.
    i'll probably say something like, "cool!" if they're ambidextrous (equal on both hands), but that rarely happens- there aren't a lot of people that are.

:I