Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diaper Volcano

Cherub

Default Diaper Volcano

I didn't quite know where to put this thread. I wasn't sure if I should tack this onto the tail end of an existing thread or not. So I decided to just start a new thread. I figured worst case scenario is that it garners zero interest and sinks like a rock to the bottom of the forum and into oblivion, lol.

I have read on here of the different things people put in their diapers. Mostly, it has been artificial mess type stuff. But today I got to thinking and wondered if anyone had every done this before.

Anyone remember their days of elementary school and making those baking soda volcanoes? I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this while wearing a diaper?

I looked up the ingredients and nothing seems toxic or harmful. I was thinking about trying this experiment sometime in the near future myself.

Instead of baby powder, I would sprinkle baking soda on the diaper before I put it on. Then pour some regular white vinegar into the diaper and see how it would feel to have the baking soda react to the vinegar and erupt with the bubbly foam.

What do you think of this idea? Any other ideas you guys might have tried with diapers?

Haha sounds fun. I haven't tried it, but it sounds as tho it would tickle

NOOOOOO DONT! acitic acid!! this is likely to put you in hospital, sorry to be so alarmed but this really isnt a good idea, as good as it would feel. the pain would be rather unbearable because vinegar is very acidic. it will burn

sweet irony that my 1000th post on this website be a warning message. :P
    but yeh, 1000 posts WOOOOP
    Last edited by IanRoberts; 03-Dec-2011 at 23:37.

Supersam1223

I now want to do this! *adds to to-do list*

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBoy0397 View Post
    NOOOOOO DONT! acitic acid!! this is likely to put you in hospital, sorry to be so alarmed but this really isnt a good idea, as good as it would feel. the pain would be rather unbearable because vinegar is very acidic. it will burn

sweet irony that my 1000th post on this website be a warning message. :P
    but yeh, WIN
    Sorry. ^^ This isn't true. Vinigar (or ethanoic acid) is a very weak acid, usually only "5" on the pH scale (with 0 being extremely acidic, 7 being completely neutral and 14 being extremely alkali). It's only corrosive over extended periods of time. It'd be painful to get this in your body any way other than orally, but against the skin it won't hurt at all. And since the reaction which occurs is a neutralisation reaction, there wont be any acid left over afterwards.

That being said, avoid getting it on your penis or in your anus. :S Might sting a little, or a lot.

Edit: Just to clarify. Ethanoic acid (or acetic acid) is harmful to the skin in a very concentrated form, but not in vinigar. Not even close.

You could just crumble an Alka Seltzer tablet and sprinkle it in your diaper. And, no. I have not tried this.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by RoaldWolf View Post
    since the reaction which occurs is a neutralization reaction, there wont be any acid left over afterwards.
    Edit: Just to clarify. Ethanoic acid (or acetic acid) is harmful to the skin in a very concentrated form, but not in vinegar. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    I looked up the ingredients and nothing seems toxic or harmful.
    I looked it up before posting this thread.
    Baking Soda & Vinegar Chemical Volcano
    It says:
    "The baking soda and vinegar volcano is a chemistry project you can use to simulate a real volcanic eruption, as an example of an acid-base reaction, or can do simply because it's fun. The chemical reaction between baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and vinegar (acetic acid) produces carbon dioxide gas, which forms bubbles. The chemicals are non-toxic (though not tasty), making this project a good choice for scientists of all ages."

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    I looked it up before posting this thread.
    Baking Soda & Vinegar Chemical Volcano
    It says:
    "The baking soda and vinegar volcano is a chemistry project you can use to simulate a real volcanic eruption, as an example of an acid-base reaction, or can do simply because it's fun. The chemical reaction between baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and vinegar (acetic acid) produces carbon dioxide gas, which forms bubbles. The chemicals are non-toxic (though not tasty), making this project a good choice for scientists of all ages."
    Toxicity is diffirent from acidity. :P Nonetheless, the acidity isn't potent enough to be of any concern.

Why do I keep imagining exploding seagulls here?

Never tried but it sounds fascinating... if I had any baking soda around I'd probably go try it now.
    You rub vinegar on a sunburn , so I can't imagine it hurting you, unless maybe if it got inside your uhh, cavities.

Harmful stuff aside, I'm pretty sure you'd stink of vinegar afterwards!