Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone spy program "Carrier IQ"

Cherub

Default Smart phone spy program "Carrier IQ"

After I read my yahoo mail and sign out, Yahoo has these news stories thumbnails you can click on and read. I saw this particular article about a program that was recently discovered on smart phones. This program is supposedly able to record and report on a lot of what you do and where you go. The article got my attention and so I read it. Very interesting stuff. The article was too large to copy and paste so here is the link is case anyone wants to read it.

Your Smartphone Is Spying on You - Yahoo! News

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Why am I not suprised? Glad I don't have a smart phone.
    So... who is at the recieving end of this info being recorded and I assume transmitted? Would that be the carriers, the manufacturers or...? The article was kinda vague on that.
    Just plain wrong on so many levels.

I had heard something about this in the news, but I can't remember where, either tv news or NPR. It sounds like what happens on your computer every day. All the things you order, or even look at on sites like Amazon create cookies and also a profile. People who bought this also bought that! It's amazing the interesting e-mails we get. Ebay has new items from Big Baby Boutique. I'm glad my kids don't see my e-mails!

Swiftfire

read the article and to be honest im really not surprised something like this iz out there. I myself have an android phone and never knew such a thing could be secretly stowed away between itz circuits. i guess im not really surprised because itz really not the first time something like this has happened. Sort of the same thing happened with Google a while back where their "vans" that supposedly goes around and takes picture for Google Maps actually had an alternate feature of reading cookies in your house o.O how iz that for "privacy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftfire View Post
    read the article and to be honest im really not surprised something like this iz out there. I myself have an android phone and never knew such a thing could be secretly stowed away between itz circuits. i guess im not really surprised because itz really not the first time something like this has happened. Sort of the same thing happened with Google a while back where their "vans" that supposedly goes around and takes picture for Google Maps actually had an alternate feature of reading cookies in your house o.O how iz that for "privacy"?
    It was less of reading cookies. Basically it was a system designed to sniff out wireless networks. What it was actually doing was capturing and saving all network data being transmitted between pc and router on any unencrypted wifi network. :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of like all of these stupid applications on Facebook that require all of your personal information to be shared with them in order to use it. Like, no, Yahoo, I don't want to let you know every one of my friends' names, and what I like, just so I can read your articles on Facebook instead of Yahoo.

FASDETFDFAS

I saw this a couple of days ago on iFans.com and just now I see that a toned down version is also in iOS but it only activates when you have diagnostic mode turned on, which is really only developers.

Well, duh. In order to build, maintain, and manage an effective wireless network, you sort of have to keep track of what your customers want and need. I swear some of these reporters must be surprised when the sun comes up in the morning.

I have no problem with monitoring cell phone signals to track people locations anonymously in malls. All you have to do to get around that is to kill the power to your phone, which is far from difficult.

However embedded software that logs keystrokes is certainly an issue that should be addressed.