Thread: google privacy

Default google privacy

I never am logged into my google account when doing searches and have my history turned off, but always have a worry in the back of my mind that someone with some computer skills could somehow find out what I have googled or looked at on the web, no one has access to my computer, but wonder if they could do it from theirs. If so what kind of safeguards could be taken to make this harder for someone to do?

Nothing 100% safe, but to get access to your browsing history, externaly, you would have to be infected by a trojan or something.
    Or the person interested have access to googles internal databases (not likely) I think they do IP adress matching regardless of cookies.

Just stay logged off and use the built in "private browsing" function.
    If you want to be extra carefull, use FireFox and add-on "Better Privacy", to kill any Flash LSO "super cookies" that might exist.

If your household has an advanced router/firrewall, dns lookups are stored in a log,
    some detective work can reveal when/where a certain computer browsed, but only from "inside" local net (also not very likely)

I hope this made you more at ease and not more paranoid

When you visit a website with advertising, many of the ads place a cookie on your computer. As small ad networks have merged into mega networks.. you see the same small set of ad providers on many, many websites. More importantly, because the ads are being served by the same provider, the cookies they place on your computer can be accessed by the ad host when you access any website carrying those ads. In other words, if you visit site A which used doubleclick's ads, when you visit site B which uses them as well, the ad host can access the cookie created when you visited site A.

In my opinion, this is a far greater threat to your privacy than search results .. which are pretty safe as has been said.

The only legitimate way this can be done remotely is via tracking cookies, which can be prevented with a browsers 'incognito' or 'private browsing' function, as it should clear the sessions cookies on exit.
    Tracking cookies are used legitimately in all kinds of places. The time you tend to see them most often is targeted advertising based on things you have been searching. Google is quite famous for this.
    Of course malware could do this also, track all browser history and then send it off to a remote server, but that's nothing a keen eye and s piece of software can't solve.

DNS history is another. The cache in your router would contain approximately the last 24 hours worth of domain names used on your local subnet (web addresses), and this will be unaffected by browser incognito modes. Though you can quite easily fix this by changing your computers DNS servers to a public DNS service, such as google DNS. (,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk