Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your own nursery

Default Your own nursery

I know a lot of people have considered having a nursery in their house. Has anyone out there actually done that? And how has it worked out?

It's something that I suppose in a sense I fantasize about myself, but I think that the costs, space, and having some "secret" room makes me not want to have it. It's just one of those things that I would feel uncomfortable having in my house. I may have some things here and there, but to have an actual room for a nursery. I don't know, just seems so... creepy.

I guess I'm looking at it in the sense that some people have "sex dungeons" in their house. There is just something that is odd about it, not that I don't want one, just something makes me not want to put it in my house.

If on the chance I did build a small room for a nursery, I would probably just keep it simple in a locked room upstairs. No big deal, and nothing would ever actually come of it from friends visiting since it would be locked. If any friends who were over at my house asked about it, depending who they are I would just tell them that it was my "secret play room", or I would tell them it was the nursery. Whichever, you know. I don't plan on being friends with anyone who is even relatively close to a level that can be considered normal! (They are so boring :P)

Anyways, I think that anyone who wants a nursery should just start off small and see how they like it, then put more things into the room every chance they get.

When i have enough money and eventually, many many years down the road hopefully, own a house. i would want a small nursery i think it would be really fun. Im with Lobie though, it would be small if i did. nothing over the top!

I had one, much like how Lobie describes. It was a guest bedroom in the second story of my home. It was great! If it hadn't been painted light pink/purple, it would have been easy to 'clean up' in a matter of an hour or so. I had a loft bed that had crib-sides that I had two sets of sheets for. When normal friends were over and I was giving a tour, I'd swap them out. I also had different art to hang on the wall and the furniture otherwise was normal maple.... it was just small nick-nacks I put out like carousel ponies and stuffed animals that made it like a nursery. Diapers and the like, I just kept in drawers which I could just put stuff in front of or on top of. I really only had to 'clean up' a few times.

The funniest, however, was I hadn't really thought things through when I hired a neighbor to paint the outside.... he started with the second story and he saw that room first. As he knew I didn't have a kid, I was very grateful he had a sense of humor =)

Ironically, I'm moving back into that home in a couple of weeks (its been rented out for the past year plus) and am looking for ideas, so happy you started this thread =D

In the future, my gf and I have been talking about having a nursery. Pretty much a full on nursery with the crib and all. I can cut down on the costs though, I'm good with my hands and have the tools, so a lot of the furniture I can make myself.

I agree that having the nursery would be strange when people come over. For friends it wouldn't be so bad, as I could just tell them it's a storage room. But if I were to have children in the future, I would not want to have the nursery. Of course the door would be locked, but kids are so curious that you'd never hear the end of it all.

-Ron

I'm planning on getting a fully fledged nursery if I get the chance. Crib/cot, ballpit, playpen and so on would be great things to have in there. The cost to build it and the time it would take are something to consider. I'm not sure how I'd go about hiding it from people though

A ballpit! I didn't think of that, I like it =D

I think it's telling that most the people in these threads (not this particular one, but this type of thread) who seem relatively set on having a nursery room are people who don't yet seem to be in the renting/home buying game.

Buying or renting a house, unless you're ludicrously rich, always involves compromising what you think you should get. Most people end up with some combination of not so good location, less space, less rooms. Once you're a responsible adult with a home, chances are low that you'll be flush enough that you have enough bedrooms that there's no greater need for this other one than a nursery.

My bedroom is practically a nursery. If it wasn't for the fact I keep my computer in there it would basically be a kids room. It is full of stuffed animals(and I mean like, little kids stuffed animals), toys, and a rocking horse. My closet has shelving for all my diapers and covers etc. I also have a teardown crib addon for the bed planned. I just tend to tuck away the rocking horse when company is around. I am a designer though, so my idea of a nursery is far more adult and contemporary than a lot of other peoples. It passes as a whimsical art kids room as long as I tuck the obvious paraphernalia away.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I think it's telling that most the people in these threads (not this particular one, but this type of thread) who seem relatively set on having a nursery room are people who don't yet seem to be in the renting/home buying game.

Buying or renting a house, unless you're ludicrously rich, always involves compromising what you think you should get. Most people end up with some combination of not so good location, less space, less rooms. Once you're a responsible adult with a home, chances are low that you'll be flush enough that you have enough bedrooms that there's no greater need for this other one than a nursery.
    I think that is because the home ownership in general is a bit of a pipe dream for a lot of people, so why not throw in the nursery. I make a decent amount of money, but owning anything but a small condo where I live is about 2200 a month just for the mortgage on a 900sqft house. Until I find a partner making at least as much as I am a house isn't an option, so I can dream but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post

I agree with what you are saying.

I believe that I am in a scenario where having a nursery might be more feasible than it would be for another person. My reasons for believing this are: 1) I'm going into a field that yields a high income(engineering) and there is going to be A LOT of work here in the next few years. 2) Land here is cheap, I believe that the land here is the cheapest in all of Canada and if not, I can buy land from my uncles for a hefty discount. 3) Big houses are just more manageable around here. I see huge houses popping up everywhere in this area. Some of these houses are as big as the ones you see selling at the $600,000 dollar mark in more urban centres. You can be sure that those people did not pay anywhere near that sum to buy the land and build the house there.

So, I do have a few things going for me. But ,like most people, it is still just a dream. Whether or not it comes true will be the luck of the draw.

-Ron