Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RROD Red Ring Of Death questions/need opinions?

Secret

Default RROD Red Ring Of Death questions/need opinions?

Ok so xbox 360 got the one red ring of death today now with a E 74 error code , basicly from the research I have done its probably the video scaler chip or the GPU. So to get it fixed I have to pay a hundred dollars send it to [email protected] and wait a month or so OR I can take my chances on this craigslist ad , with this guy who says he can fix it for fifty dollars in an hour? Honestly I dont know anything about craigslist really or getting my Xbox fixed so what should I do

A. Send it off to microsoft for a month or so, and pay up 100$ dollars plus shipping?
    OR
    B.Take my chances with craigslist and possibly get scammed but pay only 50$ bucks, and have it fixed in an hour?

Mircosoft fixes RROD's for free now, at least for the next 2 or 3 years anyway. They even send you a free box to mail your Xbox in.

Anyways this is only thing other then price that keeps me from getting a 360.

Fire2box is right. I've gotten the Red Rings of Death twice and each time it was repaired for absolutely free. Because of this being such a wide-spread problem, Microsoft extended the warranty specifically for issues concerning the RROD. It's really simple. You call them (or you can do it online now, which actually might be easier because the phone techs have very strong Indian accents which can get a little difficulty to understand), tell them that you've got the RROD, and they give you a box to send it in with step-by-step instructions within a few days. You drop it off at a UPS drop center and then just play the waiting game. Within a few weeks, you should get a refurbished console and a card for a free month of Xbox Live. Be warned though, that you're going to have to transfer all of your licenses for downloadable content to match up with your new console if you want to use the content offline. You can do that online once a month through the Xbox site.

I fixed my RROD, and it's surprisingly not very hard, as long as you're willing to a) take the chance to fix it, and b) take the chance that you might **** up your Xbox. I wanted a challenge, and managed to come out with a box that works better than it did before.

I can lead you to some helpful online resources, if you'd like -- step-by-step guides, things of that sort. Otherwise, send it off.

Best thing is too send it off, it does take them quite some time to get it back, or at least it did with my friends, though.

He just got his xbox back about 2 weeks ago and we played rock band, but quickly learned the disc was scratched. His brother then smashed it on the ground and then split it in half, it still had it's warranty -.-.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    I fixed my RROD, and it's surprisingly not very hard, as long as you're willing to a) take the chance to fix it, and b) take the chance that you might **** up your Xbox. I wanted a challenge, and managed to come out with a box that works better than it did before.

I can lead you to some helpful online resources, if you'd like -- step-by-step guides, things of that sort. Otherwise, send it off.
    the RROD isn't always the same problem. Sometimes its the video card unit that over heated and died, that's been the 360's biggest problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    the RROD isn't always the same problem. Sometimes its the video card unit that over heated and died, that's been the 360's biggest problems.
    It's not necessarily the video cards that are the problem as it is how they're attached. The overheating is indeed the issue, but the problem mainly stems from the way the chips are soddered in, related to the brackets that hold them there. The ways I used to fix mine I wouldn't necessarily suggest, but needless to say, it works great now, and won't happen again in the future.

Secret

Yeah but what do you guys think of the craigslist ad for repairing it?

I'd say don't go for Craigslist if you're going to have someone repair it. Either do it yourself or do it through Microsoft. No saying you might have some clown with a screwdriver jabbing big-ass holes in your Xbox and saying it's fixed, get his 50$, and disappear off the face of the earth when you're sitting there with a smoking console.

Korey

My xbox is sent away right now. I bought mine the day they came out (first one in line hehehe) and its still under full warranty.