Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on computer

Default Thoughts on computer

I'm planning on buying a computer kit.

I'm not big on PC gaming but I do a lot a music production.

Here is what I have found:

Mobo- GABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 Intel 6

CPU- Intel Core i3-2100 3.10

CD Drive- Lite-On Internal 24X DVD Writer

HD- OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB

CASE- DiabloTek Elite 450W PSU ATX Mid Tower

Its a Barebones Kit, I think it will do the job for what I need.

GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 DiabloTek Barebones Kit - GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 Board, Intel Core i3-2100 CPU, ADATA 4GB DDR3 RAM, OCZ 120GB SSD, 24x DVDRW, DiabloTek Elite Mid Tower, 450W Power Supply at

The kit itself seems pretty solid.. all the components are matched up and appropriate for the price point. It'll just come down to whether it is enough power for what you want to do.

What kind of music production do you do? Or more importantly, what are you running it on now, is it adequate, and is this box better specs .. if so, I'd say you are ok

I would spend a little more and at least go with a i5. Or you could get an amd in the Same price ran he but i don't like and myself.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Seems solid enough even though I personally would go with AMD. Even if you buy that though, I would still get a mechanical HDD and a cheap video card to stick in there. Integrated graphics do not cut it these days, and 120GB is not much.

If you plan on doing alot of multitasking or doing video editing,an i5 wouldn't be a bad idea either if your hellbent on an Intel setup.

As an AMD fanboi(I do use an i3 laptop though),

you could get more bang for your buck on a AMD rig, since the on board GPU would use AMD vision,thus having better (still not decent enough) graphics.

Its up to you but consider making your new PC more future proof by taking to heart my suggestions.

Consider an i5 and just double the RAM. DDR3 is dirt cheap anyway.

I'll start by saying that the case in that kit looks terrible in terms of aesthitics. I know about the whole "looks don't matter" thing but really, you can get a case that is much nicer overall in terms of appearance, fans, and flexibilty for a similar price.

I don't like that the motherboard has no standard PCI slots, but those are kinda going out anyway, and for music production these days you would want a USB interface over PCI (I have an old M-Audio PCI card in my studio computer). The rest of it looks like it should do the job. The i3 should do the job well, I don't see the requirement for a super CPU yet. I do suggest getting a half-decent graphics card, though. Just in case, you never know.

Bump the hard drive size up. A lot. Maybe even close to a TB or 2 of space, so you never have to worry about running out. That goes for RAM too. Always get more than you think you need, as you never know the future, and you can't go wrong like if you were to resort to less.

Instead of buying a kit, I suggest doing research and ordering each part individually while acknowledging compatibility, and put it together yourself. Make sure you also follow laws of ESD, electrical hazards, etc. Static electricity is very harmful to computer parts such as video cards and motherboards. Make sure you also buy an ESD strap to use when putting your PC together.

But custom building your own setup instead of buying a kit is far better as by building your own, you are essentially creating your own model of computer, almost like your own brand. Though if you don't want to go through the trouble with hand building, you can custom build through these guys: CyberPower PC. - Custom Built Gaming PC and Gaming Laptops

Hope this helped.

Tell you a trick with the ESD IantheFox. If you touch non finished frame of the computer case. before touching the parts you put in. You should not have a problem. I learn that from Upgrading and Repairing PCs, by Scott Mueller. It still works today and still suggested in the books.

Now I beleave the i3 chips have a intergraded grapics card on the CPU. It should work for what he doing as long as the user has 4gb of ram.. My nephew computer is a last Gen i3 and runs game pritty good. But Baby Mike more into music. Grapics should not be a problem.

I think I fried one computer in 20 years of building them. It was due to me unpluging a mouse from the old mouse plug while on. It was a stupid mistake. It was before usb plugs came out. It shorted the motherboard. My own computer that I build 2 years before. That was 9 years ago.

Firstly, I would not get this for processor reason. If you make a lot of music I think you will find yourself much happier with an i5 or an i7, and getting more RAM. Intel is soon to (or already have) release the new chips. This means that it is likely i3, i5, and i7 will drop at least a little bit in price. Plus it gives you the chance to get some top end chips (but I assume money is a concern here).

Overall this computer isn't bad but there is one flaw in it.

Most people don't mention this or do not know, but SSD really aren't worth the price. Get a cheap mechanical drive...

On a SSD the "cells" last for around 1,000-10,000 writes. This depends on which part of the drive you are writing to. On most systems they place the stuff that performs the most writes on the 10,000 write band. People think that they aren't going to save a file 10,000 times (if they even realize that SSDs cells each have a lifespan). But things get written all the time, and if you are making music you will probably have several files for music and a lot of other things you are using.

Every time a file is used the "used" information gets updated and written to the disk when it is closed. You do have the ability to turn this off on a Windows PC and I assume mac and other UNIX based machines as well. But you are still taking some risk.

Sure, a SSD is faster, but this won't help you for creating your music. Your system should not be performing any page swapping anyways. I think that you can get (for not a lot more) a better PC.

Buy an i5 2500k. :/
    Get 8gb of ram 35$...
    Buy a Dedicated GPU
    HDD- Go with a cheap drive right now (around 500GB's at this time) HDD productions on the low right now so prices spiked.